How to: Cannabis Infused Coconut Oil, Step by Step

Hi guys, I'm new to OZ cannabis but I'm a veteran medical cannabis user. In this short video, I demonstrate how to make cannabis infused coconut oil, simply and easily, at home. I tried to make it as short and as easy to follow as possible.  I do not speak and I just use captions to get right to the point. This method is very easy, and anyone can master it in very little time.

Let me know what you think! I am always open to any constructive criticism about how I can improve these vids.

In this video, I use a sous-vide, but you can also use your stove-top and a thermometer to track temperatures.

I hope this helps a few people. :)

• Upvote 3

that was cool mate 

sorry but interested in the use of the sous-vide 

how long you been using it 

have you compared it to using a stove top & thermometer or oven 

would think the sous-vide would be allot more on point to decarb than a stove top / oven 

good stuff mate 

Much appreciated! I've been using the sous-vide for about a year now and it's honestly the best way to decarb dry flower, in my opinion. You're right, it's definitely more accurate that using your oven, which isn't always 100% on point and can have warmer and colder spots within the oven during baking. As is compares to stove-top with thermometer, it becomes much more of a convenience thing. Where as you don't have to constantly check the temps with the sous-vide. Although the same results will be achieved as long as the temps are maintained. Another key point is that with this method, odor is no longer a problem for people who can't have their living space smelling like cannabis.

thanks mate 

i was looking at them for those reasons 

accuracy , odor & trapping or trying to trap terps as much as poss 

there's a decarb youtube vid using a older version sous-vide 

they vac seal some weight in a vac seal bag then seal your material 

above that so it sinks in the water & the material floats under the surface 

thanks for putting up some info for the community  

thanks mate 

i was looking at them for those reasons 

accuracy , odor & trapping or trying to trap terps as much as poss 

there's a decarb youtube vid using a older version sous-vide 

they vac seal some weight in a vac seal bag then seal your material 

above that so it sinks in the water & the material floats under the surface 

thanks for putting up some info for the community  

No problem! I've actually tried using the vac sealed bags myself and I am not a big fan. It works if you have 0 moisture left in the bud before sealing, but if there is even a tiny amount of water in your starting material, the moisture will steam and inflate the bags. One way to get around this would be to lightly bake the cannabis just to remove excess moisture before sealing, but this defeats the purpose in my opinion.

Wow that’s pretty good and easy mate thanks for sharing the info

Glad you enjoyed it!

Since my kids have finally moved out, I'm free to making infused oils, drinks.food, and salves again. Yes, I love them, but it's nice not have worry about them getting into my medical cannabis. I make them in many ways. Here's my infused oil methods.

Because cannabinoids and fats are both hydrophobic, THC molecules dissolve readily in lipids when they’re heated together in a solution. And this friendly relationship continues in your body, where everyone’s favorite psychedelic molecule takes up residence in your adipose tissue and remains there for 30 days or more. This long-term bonding in your fatty tissue is the reason you can still fail a drug test a full month after the last time you got medicated. It’s also the reason runners sometimes report copping a buzz from burning their own THC-laden fat for energy during a long run, making cannabis the gift that keeps on giving.

Cannabis oil can be added to recipes, dose orally, capsules, used in making rubs, salves, and topicals.

When choosing a fat or oil to cook with, it is especially important to consider the smoking point. The smoking point is the temperature at which the fat or oil begins to smoke. Smoking is evidence of the fat's breakdown due to heat and can create a very off-putting smell and flavor. The smoke point for cooking oils varies greatly, and depends upon the components, origin, and even level of refinement. The smoke point tends to increase as free fatty acid content decreases and the level of refinement increases.

Types of oil:

If you love experimenting with cannabis cuisine, or even just making simple THC treats, it’s always good to keep several different infusions in your pantry. THC-infused oils can be used for salad dressings, sauces or simply drizzled over a savory dish. These are stored in the freezer or refrigerator. 

You can even infuse bacon fat. It adds a smoky flavor to many dishes, from greens to baked goods. When you fry up bacon, collect the drippings in a jar and save them for use in a cannabis infusion. The resulting fat is great for brushing on roasted potatoes, sautéing kale or cabbage, or making bacon-maple chocolate-chip cookies.

Avocado oil has anti-inflammatory, high in Vitamin E and easy to digest. Smoke point is 570F/271C refined, but 400F204C for virgin. It is high in monounsaturated fat. Use it for sautéing, roasting, searing, and vinaigrette's alike. There's no need to refrigerate it when opened, although it should be stored in a cool, dark cupboard.

Butter and coconut oil are more likely to find their way into sweet desserts or baked goods.  Butter can be used for savory also. European butter with its high butterfat content for more potent infusions that yield increased quantities compared to regular butter. Clarify the butter to remove the milk solids and water, enabling it to absorb THC more efficiently. Butter's Smoke point 200-250F/120-150C. Clarified butter Smoke point 485F/252C.

Coconut oil has become incredibly popular as a medium for infusions due to its health benefits and suitability for vegans. It has a milder taste and can therefor be used for more dishes. It's high in saturated fat and very nutrient-dense, coconut oil helps the body assimilate fat-soluble vitamins. And a simple infusion of THC into coconut oil can not only be ingested as food; you can also use it as a topical application to soothe sore muscles. Coconut oil contains a high amount of MCTs, or medium-chain fatty acids, also called triglycerides. These MCTs are harder for our bodies to store as fat and easier for us to burn off compared to long-chain fatty acids. So if you’re seeking to lose weight, converting to coconut oil for cooking could help boost your metabolism and shrink your waistline. Coconut oil refined Smoke point 450F/232C, Coconut oil extra virgin 350F/177C

A neutral oil like canola (Smoke point 400F/204C), grapeseed (Smoke point 420-428F), or vegetable oil (Smoke point 400F) is most versatile as you can use it most any recipe calling for oil. Corn oil smoke point 440F/227C. Grapeseed oil can be used in vinaigrettes, and allows other ingredients (like specialty oils or herbs) to shine through.

Flex seed oil smoke point 225F/107C. Nutty tasting, but too much can impart a fishy, funky flavor. Use sparingly in dressings or as a finisher—it's also great as a seasoning agent for cast-iron. Keep it in the fridge.

Sesame oil (unrefined) Smoke point 350F/177C. It's relatively neutral flavor. It's a great general-purpose oil (use it for sautés, roasts, and more)

Peanut oil has a nutty favor. Smoke point 450F/232C. 

Soybean oil (refined) Smoke point 460F/238C

Vegetable shortening Smoke point 360F/182C

Hemp seed oil has a very nutty, rich flavor and dark green color. It's too sensitive to be heated, so skip the sauté and use it as a finishing oil for soups or grain bowls. If using it in a vinaigrette, cut with a less-intense oil. Store it in the fridge.

Sunflower oil smoke point 450-475F. It's used for sear- and sauté-related. It does turn rancid quicker than other oils, so store it in a cool place and use within a year, max.

Safflower oil Smoke point 475-500F

Extra-virgin olive oil is rich in monounsaturated fatty acids. It is rich in antioxidants, which are effective in reducing inflammation. And infusing cannabis into olive oil makes it an even healthier option, as well as an easy way to add a precisely measured THC dose to almost any meal. Smoke point of extra virgin 375F/191C. Smoke point of virgin  391F/199C. Smoke point extra light 468F/242C

Note: For all pictures, I'll be using olive oil for the oder-proof infusion and coconut oil for the slow cooker. So you can see the difference between the two types of oil. The strain I'm using is Ogre.

Odor-Proof Infusions

Anyone who made cannabis infusions at home knows that the process seriously stinks up the entire house with the unmistakably dank and earthy reek of cannabis, which can cause problems with your roommates, family or neighbors (who will either want to call the cops or gobble up all your THC treats). Using a clever odor-proof infusion method devised by Payton Curry of Marijuana Recipes may be a better option for some. Curry’s method relies on using a Nomiku immersion circulator to heat the cannabis sufficiently to infuse into a fat, which not only eliminates the odors but also allows for perfectly even temperature control, as well as the ability to infuse several different types of oil or fat simultaneously. Designed for use in “sous vide” cooking, the immersion circulator heats up water to your desired temperature and then maintains it at that temp. It’s fantastic for making cannabis infusions because the telltale odors are contained within a Mason jar, which means you can simmer your infusions all day long and your neighbors will be none the wiser. 

What you need:

Mason jars/ canning jars
Cooking oil of your choice
Cannabis (1 cup for every 1 cup of oil)
Grinder (a simple hand grinder works best; appliances like blenders and coffee grinder pulverize the cannabis, resulting in edibles with bad tasting plant material)
Strainer
Cheesecloth

59ef96ab0d2ca_10232017Makinginfusedoilol

Below is a jar lifter, you'll need one for this method

59ef96bb897d7_10232017MakinginfusedoilJa

For the solid fats (bacon grease, butter, coconut oil), melt them. Put liquid in 8 oz mason jar. 182 gram (about 1 cup) of fat/ oil to 3.5 grams of cannabis (trim). You can adjust for potency.

Decarboxylate the cannabis. Spread the cannabis evenly on a baking sheet. Preheat oven to 240F for 15 minutes for dried, 15-23 minutes for fresh. Let it cool.

I like to measure the oil in something where there's room to mix. Olive oil before infusion process

Add cannabis to oil in jars.

Simmer in the circulator for four hours. If you don’t have an immersion circulator, you can simmer your jars over low heat in a pot of water on the stove top. Remember, when using the immersion circulator, your jars need to be as full as possible, so they sink to the bottom of the tank in order to keep the temperature consistent, which won’t happen if the jars have so much air in them that they float.

59ef985eae762_10232017Makinginfusedoilad

59ef985b759c7_10232017Makinginfusedoilse

Cool for 15 minutes before unscrewing the tops

59ef987a8ccbf_10232017MakinginfusedoilJa

59ef9886da25c_10232017Makinginfusedoilol

Then strain the infusion through cheesecloth that set into a mesh strainer.  Do not squeeze the cheesecloth; this will simply add more chlorophyll to your oil. Place a cheesecloth lined strainer over a large pot or bowl and strain the liquid through this. 

After most is strained threw, I use my smaller strainer

59ef98ec049a8_10232017Makinginfusedoilpo

59ef99254a2df_10232017Makinginfusedoilol

Oils will go rancid more rapidly than usual when infused with plant material, so be sure to store your cannabis-infused fats in the fridge and use them within two months.

• Upvote 2