Messed up main-lining

I'm having my first try at mainlining using the nugbuckets method. Currently i've only topped twice so far but because i let some lower growth grow out for clones it's already showing a lot of pre-flowers and the symmetry has been lost, should I still top one more time to get to 8 which was my goal? how big of an impact does losing the node symmetry have? I think it will be a bit more controllable than 4 massive tops.

This was a few days ago

post-60242-0-46757700-1495498582_thumb.jpg

And today

post-60242-0-94498400-1495498588_thumb.jpg

Lack of symmetry now

post-60242-0-53708600-1495498591_thumb.jpg

And this is my other attempt, a little behind the first also topped 2 times now

A few days ago

post-60242-0-16154000-1495498599_thumb.jpg

And today

post-60242-0-43684300-1495498606_thumb.jpg

Bonus: clone shots, let nodes 2 and 3 on both plants grow out for clones after topping, slowed down the main lining but has given me some backup plants and been pretty pleased with these genetics so far.

Some are rooted already from the first plant, or nearly there, I just took these cuttings a few days ago off second plant.

post-60242-0-05369600-1495499395_thumb.jpg

Edited by hydrochronic

Nice hydrochronic.

Good to see! Yours looks like you got the timing spot on. What size rocket pot is that?

Some of mine were almost textbook. Nice even and level manifold, equal growth at equal spacing.

Others were not, I have some that didn't grow even due to not getting equal light.

I have cut back to 6 on some of my 8 cola tops.

I had an Ak48 that was proper messed up showing 2 real long colas and others way smaller.

Bent the long ones over to the other side. Will be interesting how that one goes.

I think 8 can be hard to manage if multiple plants.

I only trained out one plant to edge of pot with lst.

Most of mine got stretched out when at 8 and then let them grow straight up.

With regard to the lack of symmetry, more of an issue when at the initial top in my opinion.

Sometimes I will bend over a branch and it can twist, moving growth shoot to bottom or settles out of position, still comes good and of course can be manipulated.

My methods are more nebula than nugs, not that there's much between them.

In my limited experience, Skywalker Kush, somango, AK 48 all respond really well.

DNA island was a lil slower, guess given its la crossed with maui wowie sativa perhaps.

Have a moonshine haze reg from RD that's 8 colas. Eagerly hoping to see female preflowers sometime soon.

I know a lot of material on this topic keeps referring to the veg times, the nebula method maybe a tad faster.

However, if time is not an issue, I reckon the more mature the plant is, the better results once mainlined.

I know it's a waste to veg a plant too much to only cut most of it away but some of my best performing plants now are the ones that had a thicker stem to begin with.

Just gotta get in there before the nodes start getting too far alternating but even if they are, prune to restore balance.

I just use h&g Coco a and b. Balance pH with seasol. Sensi pro bio diesel in flower.

Edited by Carbcon

Nice hydrochronic.

Good to see! Yours looks like you got the timing spot on. What size rocket pot is that?

Some of mine were almost textbook. Nice even and level manifold, equal growth at equal spacing.

Others were not, I have some that didn't grow even due to not getting equal light.

I have cut back to 6 on some of my 8 cola tops.

I had an Ak48 that was proper messed up showing 2 real long colas and others way smaller.

Bent the long ones over to the other side. Will be interesting how that one goes.

I think 8 can be hard to manage if multiple plants.

I only trained out one plant to edge of pot with lst.

Most of mine got stretched out when at 8 and then let them grow straight up.

With regard to the lack of symmetry, more of an issue when at the initial top in my opinion.

Sometimes I will bend over a branch and it can twist, moving growth shoot to bottom or settles out of position, still comes good and of course can be manipulated.

My methods are more nebula than nugs, not that there's much between them.

In my limited experience, Skywalker Kush, somango, AK 48 all respond really well.

DNA island was a lil slower, guess given its la crossed with maui wowie sativa perhaps.

Have a moonshine haze reg from RD that's 8 colas. Eagerly hoping to see female preflowers sometime soon.

I know a lot of material on this topic keeps referring to the veg times, the nebula method maybe a tad faster.

However, if time is not an issue, I reckon the more mature the plant is, the better results once mainlined.

I know it's a waste to veg a plant too much to only cut most of it away but some of my best performing plants now are the ones that had a thicker stem to begin with.

Just gotta get in there before the nodes start getting too far alternating but even if they are, prune to restore balance.

I just use h&g Coco a and b. Balance pH with seasol. Sensi pro bio diesel in flower.

Thanks Carbcon, I think I will end up topping the first one again to 8, and maybe leave the second one as 4 or it will never catch up. Cheers for your advice. I too am just a noob learning and trying stuff, I can't be bothered with a SCRoG net or anything so that's why I'm giving this a go, it does feel weird to cut off so much growth, bigger than some people's actual plants going into flower, but hoping the end result will be worth it. I've been veging these for quite a few weeks already but not in any rush to flower yet. Regarding the rocket pots, these plants were in 0.5L pots, then into 8L pots then into 18L pots. I got some pics of the roots as I potted up as I thought they looked pretty good. The black drain dish in these pics is 330mm.

Plant #1

post-60242-0-15590600-1495539009_thumb.jpg post-60242-0-16431800-1495539017_thumb.jpg

Plant #2

post-60242-0-47439500-1495539024_thumb.jpg

Edit: I would say already better roots than my last plant which grew veg and flower for over 120 days.

I'm using Growth Tech A+B, CalMag and Seasol for Veg around 1.2 EC

Edited by hydrochronic