RE-Potting in early flower...would you?

I mentioned in my Diary that my plant was yellowing from the bottom after its move(better sun position) and release of the LST but is otherwise healthy and has been in flower about 2 weeks. One poster suggested upping the feeding frequency, another poster suggested in could be root bound. It could be root bound when you consider the following

This a Diesel Auto planted 145 days ago into a 410mm pot and did not begin to flower until about 135 days. Since this has been in the pot for so long (150 days) I would have thought by now it may just need to be re-potted because if it wasn't root bound now she can't be far away from it... With that in mind I have managed to score the use of a 100L ":Pot in a Pot system" (not sure what its supposed to do, one large pot inside another with a pipe and tap at the bottom of the outside one) So the question for consideration is this;

Considering the length of time the plant has already been in this pot would the benefits of re-potting outweigh the potential damage this could cause along with the potential (if not already) to become root bound? Should I do it now whilst its just started to flower or take my chances and leave well alone hoping it will get through the next 12 weeks or so.

post-52663-0-10069300-1423470847_thumb.jpg This is how she looked after I removed the dead leaves(pile on right) from the bottom and center of the canopy. As you can see I did not remove all of them as some were still hanging on. These all came away in my hand without anything but light pressure. I have noticed discoloration on some leave a little higher but have also started a new feeding regime to see if the issue is one of feeding or being root bound or for that matter...something else

post-52663-0-51171600-1423470925_thumb.jpg The Green pot on the left is the current size and the one on the right with the hose out the bottom is the one I scored.

Any tips on how to accomplish this without breaking/killing her would be greatly appreciated or if you think I should pull my head in :unknw:  and leave her alone then feel free to tell me.

post-52663-0-62837900-1423472534_thumb.jpg

I change growing containers while the plants are in Flower, done it many times zero failures about 3 or 4 weeks into flower is the latest i've changed.

prepare your new pot, put growing medium at the bottom -place the old pot into the new one to see how much medium you need in the new one (by the looks of yours, you'll need a few inches or more

I'd try and change containers on a table

let the plant (green part)  hang over the side while the root mass (and container) are on their side on the table 

Loosen the roots/growing medium by squeezing the sides of the pot 

slide pot off the root mass

with luck you roots will be in one big mass and you won't have too much of a mess

grab the root mass (both hands/arms) and place into new container

try not to knock the roots around too much (tho they can take quite a bit of damage)

top up the new container with your medium, water with your choice of root stimulator/beneficial bacteria etc (f you have it)

You may need to add more medium after the first few waterings 

She'll grow quite fast after you transplant her; you'll need to up your nutrients to help her reach her full size.

Edit:

With a pot n pot system it's best to have a layer of perlite/clay balls or similar at the bottom of the inner pot-  it helps keep the bottom roots of the inner container from rotting

Great looking plant BTW!

Edited by Matanuska Thunder
  • Upvote 2

If you can get someone to give you a hand potting up. I've potted up in clay balls / hydroton indoors before was a few weeks into flower and have done a heap of coco plants like that and had no dramas. When you do it try do it when sun goes down that way come morning they be happy as larry.

The only chance I am going to get, to have assistance, is tomorrow morning or the weekend...unfortunately tomorrow morning rather than tomorrow night it will have to be. I would liked to have done it tonight but haven't prepared the pot yet or for that matter got my shit together enough either.  Thanks for stopping in and for your comment.

I change growing containers while the plants are in Flower, done it many times zero failures about 3 or 4 weeks into flower is the latest i've changed.

prepare your new pot, put growing medium at the bottom -place the old pot into the new one to see how much medium you need in the new one (by the looks of yours, you'll need a few inches or more

I'd try and change containers on a table

let the plant (green part)  hang over the side while the root mass (and container) are on their side on the table 

Loosen the roots/growing medium by squeezing the sides of the pot 

slide pot off the root mass

with luck you roots will be in one big mass and you won't have too much of a mess

grab the root mass (both hands/arms) and place into new container

try not to knock the roots around too much (tho they can take quite a bit of damage)

top up the new container with your medium, water with your choice of root stimulator/beneficial bacteria etc (f you have it)

You may need to add more medium after the first few waterings 

She'll grow quite fast after you transplant her; you'll need to up your nutrients to help her reach her full size.

Edit:

With a pot n pot system it's best to have a layer of perlite/clay balls or similar at the bottom of the inner pot-  it helps keep the bottom roots of the inner container from rotting

Great looking plant BTW!

Thanks so much for this little tutorial on transplanting large plants. She is 14 days in flower as of today. I like your idea of using a table and I also think your right, once I get the the pot off the roots will be holding the soil in place for me to drop straight into the new pot. When I chopped my male Early Durban which had been in a bigger pot for the same amount of time it came away as a complete root ball..so here's hoping it does the same for me with the Diesel. If this takes off then it will have been well worth while doing the re-pot and even if it doesn't take off then it should do it nothing but good... +1 rep Love ya work

Have just completed the transplant to the larger Pot and it went really well. I was all set up as described by Matanuska and used this technique with the only difference being I couldn't get any movement going with squeezing the3 pot but some light taps with a rubber mallet did the trick and once it moved it came out as completely intact.

So I took a quick photo to show but it was too dark and you can't see shit. Suffice to say that the roots were all around the outside in a reasonable layer but it was definitely running out of room.

After the wasted photo I put her in the new pot and she took about 70 litres extra of the same soil mix to fill up the bottom and sides so she should have plenty of room to finish. Gave her a big drink, seasol, canna flores and then a further water until about 20% run off. Just as well I did because the drainage pipe was a bit blocked. A couple of quick picks  

post-52663-0-87629900-1423604660_thumb.jpg

post-52663-0-96612500-1423604708_thumb.jpg

post-52663-0-60567700-1423604913_thumb.jpg

Will be interesting to see how she reacts to her new home. because she was already going along ok before this re-pot I would expect her to go really well providing I didn't screw anything up during the re-pot. As to how long...who knows maybe she will find her Auto gene's and race away ha ha ha Thanks for the help. Job Done 

Well this has basically answered the post I just made , albeit your plants are f'ing huge compared to my 2 foot lsd to 1 foot in a 250mm pot lol, but I'm also 14-15 days into flower and I believe she is suffering from being rootbound , looks as though I should just up pot and go from there , just read different reports of repot in flower and some say it causes hermies? Any thoughts on that?