Hydroponic produce

A little note, most of our herbs are currently imported, some food for thought?

To be honest one thing I've been thinking of, also something I use to justify talking about aquaponics to people is that you could potentially occupy vacant buildings in the CBD etc for hydroponic produce farms, possibly even go aquaponics and then you can sell off fresh fish in an area not near the sea...

Not sure how viable a business plan it is, heck if someone feels like number crunching look into it for me will you? :P

-edit-

well, shit... that's actually pretty tempting lol

Edited by GreenGoat

Its a toughy in some ways. We would like to do the whole sell our extras (ya know market and stuff and talkin produce here lol ) even some of our chilli sauces and salsas.  the hard thing is if we are growing medicine too.  seems that when citizens lean to an alternative commerce model, it draws unwanted and usually unwanted attention and scrutiny as to the 'workings'.  The suggestion of lease or rental premises is a good one I think-just gotta keep the produce and the medicines in different locations imo if commercial produce growing where I am at anyway.  Too small and too nosey lol  We are able to be pretty much self sufficient at the moment.  i think it is something that every grower should be at least competent of cos i think people like us will be feeding many people in the future.  The system will become unworkable for many who are not suited to economic purposes.  They will be fed fodder whilst the miners eat feasts.  the fodder will run out before the minerals. Save seeds and grow em

Peace. v :sun:

• Upvote 1

One thing that I am fairly sure of regarding the Aus herb industry is tonnage. There are quite a few supplying to the food industry, but its the pharma industry that lacks Aus supply. Farmers simply don't grow the quantities required in this country, so firstly I would have to consider what herb/s to grow, and how much floor space/acreage would be required to grow sufficient quantities. On a small scale, probably do well to supply restaurants as opposed to supermarkets, or more efficient would be microgreens for the healthfood industry?

Im hearing that micro economy thing, and I still pray daily for a mass coronal ejection. Hit the reset button. Send all the gizmos to the landfill; and have the village economy rule once more. One community would truck excess to their neighbours and vie versa.

Nuthing gets wasted.

The greens that arent good for food go to the livestock or turned into fuel (ethanol)

Village sewage treatment becaomes sanitised fertiliser, and the URINE; well thats way too precious to flush into the river!

Town urine should be collected and treated/concentrated the trucked out to the crazy chemist that live on THAT farm on the edge of town; get yourself some fresh 'medicine' while your there.

This world isn't about money its about HONEY, and how sweet life can be.

The permaculture vids look good, however this aquaponics set up sounds better for a really hot/dry environment, prone to loosing water to the air.

Which raises the question; WHERE would be be best place to set up and are there environments you wouldnt bother with; like the more arid?

Burkes Backyard, Burners Backroom:-) Herbs are established, repotted and residing under a 130w cfl. Have sown some tomato, leek and capsicum seed, but the best thing so far is the chilli plant, started to bud a week ago and has begun to flower. The only dissapointment, due to my failure to research fully, is the strawberry. Gonna be a while before fruit forms, as seed grown strawberries can take up to 3 years in the field to fruit!

Anyway, having a blast growing plants other than cannabis under lights. I am especially looking forward to firing up some pots of Coleus, but can only do so much at a time. Marigolds, pansy's, I'm gonna be a bit occupied over the coming months, I imagine:-)post-50453-0-84887300-1370407636_thumb.jpgpost-50453-0-35953500-1370407676_thumb.jpgpost-50453-0-39058500-1370407696_thumb.jpg

post-50453-0-04459400-1370407630_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1