teething issues help/advice please

Your EC (Electrical Conductivity) is measured in PPM. It is often called TDS (Total Dissolved Salts) A small current is sent from one electrode to another and the ability to conduct electricity through the solution is measured. Pure water or distilled water has no electrical conductivity, but as salts and metals are added (Nutrient), electrical conductivity will also increase in proportion.

For my setup a PPM reading of 1900 is way too high. I run mine at about 1400-1500. At 1900 I flush and start again. I flush fortnightly wheather the PPM is high or not, every fortnight. What is your watering cycle? I run at 15min/hr in perlite. This keeps my EC pretty constant over a 24hr period, sure there is some flucuation but I have found that 1900 is toxic for my setup.

Again this is a personal choice thing but I've used A+B nutes with less than pleasing results. I believe my ratios were stuffed up. Now I use a 1 part nute and have a lot less hassles.

Merl1n

thanks merlin, i wasnt aware there was a 1 part nutrient available. What brand is it? I was under the impression u only needed to flush every 4 weeks will flush 2nite and every 2 weeks from now on. I probably havnt been giving them enough of a feed of nutrient solution since planting but now am only feeding for 2 mins at start of light cycle 2-3 liters, im worried about over watering as i think coco holds to moisture alot more than perlite? Cheers

Hi there Southerner,

I use a nute from Flairform called Green Dream. Flairform are an Australian company in Perth. They have a huge range of everything pH up, down, buffer, 2pt and 1pt nutes everything. Go have a look at their site. Now Green Dream comes in a two part and a one part. Over the years I've tried other two part and one part nutes, for the last 6 or7 years I've stuck with Green Dream one part. Lots less pissing around getting ratios right and it works. As for the flushing, my nutes recommend a 2wk flush and if I leave it longer I can't get my PPM down to a decent level. You are right about coco holding more water but all my advice is from perlite as I don't use coco and never have, so I can only comment on what I know. Others who use coco will be able to give you more relevant info on coco and nutes.

Merl1n

When I changed 1/2 way thru from 2pt to 1pt I did see an improvement. But I knew for sure my ratios were up the shit using 2pt and that was why I changed to a 1pt and would never turn back. My view is that if it works don't fuck with it and for me 1pt works a treat.

I do have a question, How do you flush? Now as stated before I'm in perlite but when I flush properly my PPM are down round the 200-400 mark. Others using coco maybe able to give you better numbers for flushing but for me if I was only getting it down to 1200 I'd be flushing weekly.

Merl1n

i just put the garden hose in and flush for around 10 mins, mate ive mine was just using coco last few times and he only flushes every 4 weeks with killer results, but now has gone back to a mix of perlite and clay balls why im not really sure, i will continue to moniter weekly and keep on it. So after flush PPM should be down to like 400? maybe im not flushing enough?

With perlite yes, but with coco I do not know. I ain't gonna says yes cos I do not know, so hopefully one of the coco growers will speak up.

You see with perlite I flush 3 times over a 6hrs continuous. first flush about an hr PPM drops about 700, 2nd about 500 for 2 hr and 3rd 2-3 hr is usually the last flush then a top up of fresh nute.

Now many would say thats over kill but it works

That PPM reading is thru the roof mate, as Merlin pointed out.

Do you have an EC meter or just TDS?

TDS readings (PPM) vary between brands of meter. EC is more of a universal measure. Where possible stick with EC.

Did`nt want the temp of the runoff but thanks for sharin :D

Cant give you a magic figure to aim for, the plant will tell you that. Aim for 400-450 and work from there...

High readings coming out suggests high readings going in...food for thought.

Merlin said you can change nutes mid grow and he`s right, you can. If you`re sticking with coco make sure to use coco-specific nutes.

Cyco get a pretty good rep overall if you read past the bullshit but there are plenty other options as you know. A few here like GT nutrients, made in Oz and a good consistent brew...look em up :D

Coco is great stuff, just gotta work with it a bit to get to know it. Theres 2 basic strategies with watering...

1- Dump and run: literally flood it and come back in a week or as necessary.

2- Little and often: using drippers or misters etc, timed or flow rate controlled.

And a myriad other more advanced methods.

Remember coco can hold a lot of liquid, enough to drown a plant. The biggest drama is overwatering.

You seem pretty switched on, get among a few of the coco grows on the forum and cherry pick the info ya need. Not every question that pops into yer head will be a thread title, know what I mean?

Anyways, get that EC down a bit and all the best with it mate.

JAIKAI