EC Meter Confusion

I'm sure the answer is out there but doing a search for "ec" is tricky.

So I bought a $50 EC pen (Hydro Axis or something) because I'm getting ready for a noob DWC grow and I thought I needed it(?). I couldn't figure out how to get to the batteries so I used a screwdriver in a hole which I later realised is the calibration dial thing. Oops. I also think I broke the dial thing. Oops x 2. Anyhow, I put the end in a small bucket of tap water and the display stayed at 00. I mixed a splash of nutes in and it read 04. Another bigger splash and it read 18, Could it be the display doesn't have a decimal point, ie 04 = 0.4 and 18 = 1.8 EC?

Also, what is the EC of Melbourne tap water, particularly in the east? My meter says 00, but I possibly stuffed it.

Yeah mate if you snapped the manual trimmer its fucked lol. Get a blue labs ec pen mate $100 off ebay. If your going to do dwc youll want reliable ec and ph meters [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Lordy. Airpots are looking better every day. :tantrum:

You definitely need a meter to measure nutrients but a Ph meter is by no means a necessity. I've been using fish tank testers in hydro since the mid nineties, there's been a successful crop or two. Once you get used to your setup you can do it all by rote anyway.

Water quality changes from house to house let alone suburb to suburb. As far as I can tell the pipework in older houses has higher EC.

• Upvote 1