Cannabis Activism In Australia?

What a cool and constructive post. Obviously aussies need to recognise the need for medical mj. Christ, last I heard it was illegal in Aus to even sell HEMP for human consumption - what the hell is with that! The cancer council recognises the need for cancer patients to smoke however, most cancer patients I have been lucky enough to know would never consider taking anything illegal - even if it will help them. So many good points raised here! Half the problem with petitions is the reluctance of people to put their name to illegal activity. The media here is bullshit and people are complacent with how things are to stand up and try to change them. We are certainly behind the rest of the world and weaving the way through bureaucratic bullshit is in no way easy so, what can be done to make the change? Perhaps instead of promoting mj, a really large focus should be on the dangers of prescription drugs and alcohol and a loud response to 'smoking pot leads to harder drugs' could be evidence showing to the contrary. ie: instead of requesting the decriminalization focusing on the other problems that exist then leads to the realisation that growing a plant is not that bad.

Sorry darryl it was a stoned remark that really added no value to the thread

I read through your whole case start to finish the other night and saved the pdf's, what you did was the most Ive personally seen towards activism in Australia, you made them accountable for their own actions for a change, hope you can do the same again with your latest troubles man!

• Upvote 1

Not wanting to hijack the thread but thanks very much. If I could see a way to organise anything I would. The only way things will change is through court action. Forget about politicians, those snivelling parasites won't help us no matter how many petitions, marches or events we have.

Get 10 000 people turn up at every court hearing when one of us goes to court :) that would make them take notice ;)

• Upvote 4

Well, I'd be willing to help start a NORML group in Sydney and actually work to make changes. Anybody want to help?

Hey buddy. I'll always put my hand up to help anyone get something started

An interesting thread with good comments. I think we need to be careful comparing previous attempts or campaigns with today. It's a completely different world. The facts are there, and the ability to get them out are there, like never before. Education is the key.

As an example I forwarded this 'Clearing The Smoke' doco to the staunchest anti-cannabis person I know. (I hope we have all seen this latest compelling doco by the way. Many incredible conclusions. They find now cannaboid receptors in our brain and in other organs that they say must be "plugged" or we leave ourselves open to a myriad of diseases including cancer. They conclude for example, in a study of a heavy cannabis smoker, that his cannabis smoking is "protecting him" from his tobacco smoking). So, she gets back to me with, that was quite convincing, and forwards to many others. You see this? Some ignorance at least, gone.

And many of the myths that worry the ignorant can now be smashed on the head.

"Medical-marijuana laws send the wrong message to kids, encouraging teen marijuana use. The truth: That fear, raised in 1996, when California passed the first effective medical-marijuana law, has not come true. According to the official California Student Survey, teen marijuana use in California rose steadily from 1990 to 1996, but began falling immediately after the medical-marijuana law was passed. Among ninth graders, marijuana use in the last six months fell by more than 40 percent from 1995-96 to 2001-02 (the most recent available figures)."

by Joycelyn Elders

The Providence Journal (RI)

(Dr. Joycelyn Elders was U.S. Surgeon General in 1993-94 and is

Distinguished Professor of Public Health at the University of Arkansas School of Medicine)

We now have it all. No-one has a single leg to stand on anymore. It is now a house of cards waiting to fall.

I seriously consider leaving my country for Europe. This is a mummy and daddy country and I wonder how much longer I can take it. I'm tired of the Dr King approach. I say we bring on Malcolm X.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't say Europe is perfect either, even the Dutch Christian conservatives are piling on pressure for reforms to the cafes in Amsterdam. But I doubt they'll bring in the reforms during an economic downturn given the huge revenues from foreign cannabis tourism.

I think the only reason that the UK may seem "liberal" towards cannabis use is the sheer availability of Cannabis, and the problems enforcing out dated laws.

I as an adult am of the opinion that we as adults should be able to imbibe any natural substance we so wish.

I say this because of the stupidity of our laws legalising plants and fungii and all kinds of natural substances because some people like to kick in doors and shoot dogs and steal money, or the people who like to keep the most useful plant on our small dust spec of a planet under lock and key. and i have had enough!

I am for complete legalisation of all substances, cannabis, mushrooms, coca, opium, nux vomica if you bloody well want (and as long keep it and dispose of its shedding responsibly) but first and foremost my favourite plant of all cannabis.

Maybe we could take back the eureka flag for freedom, or use the southern cross that has a lot of meaning about freedom to a lot of people use that and a catchy title and a great spokes person and we could have it wrapped up in three years, hopefully the greens may hold the balance of power at the next election and we could push them to legalise they already are in favour of it.

we can use the industrial route to get people to see how much carbon it soaks in, which is good for carbon tax (yay) and then inspire every australian to do their part to save the nation grow some pot. you dont have to smoke it simply call your council and they will come and harvest the plants and give you 40c per kg or what ever... use that hemp for paper making and the council now has a new income from recycling waste weed plants .... if only we lived in my delusion sigh....

No but in all honesty let us lobby the greens i mean come on .... greens ...... like there was any other!

With the bob katter fiasco it could be now or never to bring something so effing outrageous to the right they don't see it coming, legalise pot for recreational use, Marijuana Recreational Legalisation League MRLL, i mean what Aussie doesn't come home and have a beer or a beer with dinner, maybe and i shudder to even type this but maybe this is the way to go for Australia legalising for responsible recreational use as an alcohol substitute that "does less damage" god i hate to compare alcohol and pot but it if works. i think a great deal of people think the world is getting crazy, more and more rights are disappearing, maybe we can use that and try and go the civil rights route with rec use? thoughts?????

ACCLAIM - Australian Cannabis Legalisation for Adult Individuals Movement because it shares at least some of the letters with the name of the American College of Legal Medicine ACLM i just think Activist has a harsh sound ??? thoughts????

Ok so i am kinda new to the forums but i really want to try and improve things for everyone, im not rich, im not famous, but i will do what i can to help.

Edited by crimsons