Cannabis Activism In Australia?

I like ACAM, but why not shoehorn the words into a catchy acronym, or maybe that's too much of an american thing,

A cannabis activism movement could definitely work here in Aus. tho I personally believe the keys to it being successful are the need for patience (change is inevitable but there are many barriers in the way like an obstructive murdoch press, gutless politicians and chronic apathy among the Australian public) if overnight change is out of reach then it's worth taking the time to create an organisational structure that is sustainable but can achieve the long term objectives, grassroots campaigns to challenge the apathy and help people to understand that it's a matter of civil liberties and not just wanting to walk down the street smoking a joint, and it would be necessary to learn as much as possible from organisations like NORML, MPP and even advocacy organisations that aren't specifically weed oriented. Such an organisation would best be decentralised so as to be flexible and adaptable.

We used to go to a lot of cannabis rallys in the 90's.. not sure who organised them.. There was never any trouble from the filth.. I haven't heard of anything in the last 10-15 years though... The rallys obviously didn't work coz canna is still illegal.... I think we need to get the media to portray canna for what it is, the only prob is there is very little free media in australia

Yeah, right wihg douchebags like allen jones, and the murdoch press have a stranglehold on the mainstream media. This is a challenge that would need to be overcome however it would definitely require money to reach out to the unconverted and to point out the flaws in the propaganda that is being paraded as unquestionable truth

• Upvote 2

Well, looking at the situation in Aus... I see that there is a movement in Nimbin with HEMP embassy and nearly NORML. I'm wondering if there are any other groups in the entire country. Granted, I have only done 2 days of research. Here in the states, we have a NORML group in virtually every major city............. create non profit groups, put yourselves out there in front of the masses and most importantly educate! It does take time, but I see your country as ripe for the picking. Polls show that there is support... but, you guys just don't have any groups or organizations that i can see. Please excuse me if I am wrong. But, back to my question... any and all advice/tips/info on your mj culture would be greatly appreciated. Passing the bong...

Hi tonail, that's a pretty logical view.

In my take on things, history bears recalling. Remember those fucking jets that were flown into those buildings in New York? That event, and even more precisely, the reaction staged by the United States government changed the direction of the entire god damn world.

There was a famous speech by the then Canadian Prime Minister around early 2002, it's on YouTube, where he basically says his government are going to legalise cannabis, however that fucking elected muppet George Bush got on the phone and told him he'd see a trade war so full on it would fuck Canada to it's knees. Around the same time here in Australia John Howard was coming into his own, with George Dubbya on a roll with the infamous 'Patriot Act' to back him up Howard toed the line due to the same pressures from Washington, fucking sniveller. Also, around the same time, the NSW Cannabis trials were all set to go, bad management but also political interference knocked it on the head. Bob Carr, a great humanitarian Premier, let the people of NSW enjoy some of the least restrictive policing in regards to cannabis/drug use alongside South Australia. Carr chose to exit politics at a time when he could have done Abe Lincoln type shit {legal heroin injecting rooms} he chose to walk away, and I believe it was because he became disillusioned with what he saw happening in Canberra with Howard etc and didn't want to do take that crowd on from his position and be crucified. Security went through the roof, sniffer dogs turned up, personal use limits fell, hydroponics was demonised etc etc

The main point I'm getting to is that the US governments overbearing foreign policy alongside the Oz governments consent to be fucked over by them, coupled with our restrictive free speech society is why our laws are the way they are.

The idea of 'free speech', the rallies held in the US and Canada, the efforts of people like Jack Herer, even yourself perhaps tonail have all worked to a degree although cannabis use is still illegal in the US even if you have a medical certificate and the whole medical cannabis industry structured like a house of cards.

Nimbin has NOT worked as a place that encompasses Cannabis use by MAINSTREAM Australians. Much as I like the hippies and what was started in the early 70's Nimbin suffered from an influx of runaways, hard drug users, mental patients with no home and professional dole bludgers. The fact it still runs the biggest reform rally year after year is a credit to the handful of hard core activists at the helm, it's just a pity they can't go the final step and link the rest of Australia together.

This forum OzStoner web site does it's own bit. Sharing information and educating people's friends and families IS slowly but surely working. We help each other out, and we do have a community here.

The Australian Council for Civil Liberties meetings are also cutting edge when it comes to this stuff if you enjoy getting involved, they hosted Norm Stamper a couple years back.

Until then though, sit back and enjoy the war and don't fucking invite me to any bbqs,......... just kidding :twitchsmile: :bongon:

• Upvote 7

i dont have time to go to rallys :/

so i stay active against prohibition with the long term approach ... like El_Badass has said :uhhuh:

and yes, bufo is spot on about Bob and what he could have done back in 2003 :freak: ...but that was fucken ages ago :/

now, im of the opinion that the only way the law will change is from more busts :huh: ...

yep, more and more of us poor bastards having our lives turned upside down and then us fighting back with facts >:(

facts of the truth about cannabis....facts of police fuckups....and facts of the bullshit budget that gets wasted on this fucked up prohibition =@

and unfortunately, imo, its gonna be at least another decade of it going like this before the change actually comes :tantrum:

ahwel, carry on :bongon:

• Upvote 1

Well, I'd be willing to help start a NORML group in Sydney and actually work to make changes. Anybody want to help?

I'm up for it. I've been doing some research and Australia really is behind the rest of the world in Cannabis/Drug Activism. I would actually like to start a New Group other than NORMAL but NORMAL is a good a place as any to start. Anyone in Sydney Interested can contact me at endthedrugwar@hotmail.com. I've got lots of ideas and have been planning a solo campaign for June 26th International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking but the more help the better. BTW. You know how China celebrates June 26th? They EXECUTE Drug Traffickers! Nice. Lucky we don't live in China. I hope to hear from you and anyone else who feels strongly enough that they are willing to start taking action.

• Upvote 1

If anyone is on twitter you can follow me @NoMoreDrugWarAu I just started the account a few days ago. My email as mentioned previously endthedrugwar@hotmail.com Keen as mustard to get the ball rolling. Support would most Welcome. Open to all ideas. Education is the key I believe. Average Joe has swallowed the Propaganda hook line and sinker. These people often are against drugs without really knowing why? They've been told "Drugs are Bad" and never questioned it. Had an argument with someone like this the other day and they said "If drugs were legal, everyone would start using drugs". I asked one question "Would you start using drugs if they were legal?". They answered NO! of course, which totally fucks the theory that 'Everyone' would start using drugs. I hope to hear from anyone. Stay Safe.
  • Upvote 1