Return of the Jedi...

pipeman Posted on Nov 11 2003, 06:59 PM

hey Luke, put ducting on inlet and exaust on fan and wrap with insulation. The fucker will become so silent you won't know its on. also use larger size ducting with reducer to fan. the larger your ducting is the less noise you will have. 

That's a good tip pipe... I'm using 300mm ducting on a 250mm fan, I've already wrapped insulation around this, but I think I'll have to get some more to make it more baffled. I had to install the fan somewhat differently from normal setting, I may end up placing a small amount of 300mm duct inside the grow, also with some insulation, to assist with noise. The inltets are passive, so that's okay, but I really need the fan contoller, mostly because 800m3 hr is just too damn much suck. :huh: The thing is going right off. That's not necissarily a bad thing, but it is noisy, and I'm trying to keep her quiet. If I can run the fan slower it will substantially lower the sound, and still be plenty of airflow to grow there. ;)

Oh, and ozmade, I got my fan from a hydroshop I've been going to for years, so I get a bit of discount. ;) 120 is the normal price, but that's more than reasonable, don't ya think? Anyway, if your shop doesn't do layby, then they don't really deserve your custom, do they? Go somewhere else. There doesn't need to be a real name, and pay cash for everything. And I mean everything. ;)

I promise that later on this arvo I'll post some pics, I have to go out for a bit, then I'll be back with some eye candy. A few changes have been made, and the plants are going well, so an update is in order. :D

Okay, I'm back, didn't get up to the hydro shop, I'll be visiting tomorrow, and in the meantime it will do. ;)

Anyway, here's some pics for ya... :D

Firstly, I'll show ya the new fan installed, I've had to do it slightly differently from normal, but it's running well, if not a little too well. :huh: 300mm duct wrapped in insulation about half way along it's length leads from the fan out the top of the grow.

post-9-1068621358_thumb.jpg

Okay, here's some ducting I'm using to pull air from around the lamp... It's the same 150mm I used in the last grow, only this isn't attached to a fan, it just leads to below the extractor, which has more than enough power to pull air from the lamp through it. :huh:

There's two shots here, one shows the point where the hood is connected via tape and astrofoil to the hood, (I'll be investing in a better hood one of these days....) and the second shows the ducting just under the main fan. :D

First shot....

post-9-1068621674_thumb.jpg

Okay, here's the old fan, as it's a moderately powerful one and much better at circulating air than the old white caged pedestal type 15cm fan I used to use, I've decided that for the moment, it will serve as the circulating fan. I'm probably going to have to increase my passive inlets, but I may also end up with a partial active/passive inlet system in the end, it depends on how nasty temps get. :huh:

Anyway, here's the pic, it's suspended from some cuphooks with rubberbands and twist ties. :D

post-9-1068622087_thumb.jpg

Okay, now for the shots you guys really want... the plants. ;)

This is the overall shot of the plants, from above. As you can see, they're growing well, despite the awful temps. (35 + :huh: ) I'll be keeping them vegging for a little bit longer, not too long tho. I'll be tipping pretty soon too, so I can train them out to a wide canopy and give them as much light as possible, as well as airflow.

As you can see, the plants have been moved from their single pots into individuals. I decided that I'd be better of with individual pots, (in this case dutchpots) because they'll be moved quite regularly as they grow, to maximise light usage... It was also a bitch and a half to get the box out of the growroom when I had to do my weekly flush and clean, as there is absolutely stuff all space there. So I transplanted them gently (root growth was great by the way) into the dutchpots and filled them with my favourite brand of supercoarse perlite. They love it. :D

Anyway, enough rambling, here's the plants. ;)

post-9-1068622720_thumb.jpg