Return of the Jedi...

Hi there everyone... Been a while since I've said anything about my situation vis a vis growing, aside from an occasional post here and there and replying to queries from fellow members here. Well, seems like I've finally gotten off my arse and started up the cabinet proper again...

Now, firstly, let's review the last grow I had... I was growing Bluewidow, and had a plant of each major phenotype, the heavier indica and the more sativa influenced plant. I've decided this grow will be exclusively with the indica phenotype. :) Whilst it may not be the higher yeilding of the two, it was more dense, and fruitier in scent and flavour. As it was more compact too, I think it would do much better as a clone grow than the other, as I don't really have much room.

I have several clones at the moment, and I've just put them under the hid. They're currently at 24/0, and this is only because they were cloned under this lighting. I will, in all likelihood, change down to 20/4 or 18/6, (probably the former than the latter) soon, as I'm not too keen on keeping them under that much light for that long. I'm not rich, and I feel the plants grow better under a light/dark photoperiod, rather than a purely light one.

Anyway, that debate aside, the clones are all well rooted, and have some roots emerging from their bases. I've already put two into their own blocks, and I may do the same to a couple more... I'm thinking this will be a grow with 2-3 plants, at the absolute most 4. I'm not anything but a personal smoker and grower, so I think it's likely to be 2 rather than 4... but you never know what might happen, so I'll keep a couple in reserve. They won't take up much room young, and I can always cull ones I don't need, I can't make ones I do appear magically. ;)

The grow is also in a new position, and as summer is soon to be upon us, I need a new fan. My 120mm computer style one just won't cut it in the heat of a Perth Summer, so I'm getting a new one. This is a hydro turbo fan, 800m3 per hour, which should be more than enough to keep the room cool and well ventilated. I've done some preliminary tests on temps, and so far so good, but I know it won't be enough in summer.

I know you're all dying for a pic or two, but I've been working all day on this and just can't be fugged doing it right now. And it's nowhere near ready. I'll take some tomorrow or the next day, and let ya all know how they're doing. :) BTW I'll be going with a media based recirc sys... just in case you wanted to know. ;)

Greetings to you Master Vas... Yes, the fan was adequate, but not quite good enough... And I think the fact that I was working with two hydro systems in the one cab wasn't making life any easier...

Hopefully it'll go smoother this time...

As to the DPPS... Well, I've been thinking about it, but I've got these clones here now, ready to go... I may as well just go with these for the mo.. And besides, by the time a seed grow was ready it'd be high summer... I'm more interested in christmas buds... :) She's a short strain, the BW, only 55... I'm fairly sure the DPPS is longer. But I can't get much information about em...

I'll probably sow them outdoors as potplants, (get it, pot plants? ;)) and keep em tied down and pruned. Sorta like outdoor mothers. Once this crop is done, they should be more than mature enough to clone out the best looking chicks, and go from there... So there is a possibility that I could be growing it in the new year, well, to flower anyway. I'll let you all know if I do sow them. ;)

And I promise some pics tomorrow... Gotta take the poor kitty to the vet to have his stiches out in the morning, but after that it's work work work on the grow... :) I've already planted out one clone into a perlite pot, a particularly strong and accidental clone which was broken off during the reveg, and then placed in a cup of water, and forgotten on the top of the growroom for about 5 days... By this time it had started to form a callous, so I rooted it in the aquamiser, (just by itself amongst other seedlings of vegies) and she's become and outdoor mum. If she grows well she'll remain a basis for future crops or breeding....

Anyone want to throw some suggestions as to media and recirc type? I'm going with a basic float valve double reserviour, (Feeder and Nutrient res's) as written in my recirculating hydro setup thread, but the media, pot sizes and general growing method is still up in the air... Any and all suggestions welcome on this, I've got a good idea what I'll be doing, but I'd love to hear your opinions.

Anyway, I'll leave it there, any questions or comments welcome. :D

Guest weekprik

Luke what about trying out a turbo tank system??

Iam looking at one of them soon,

but I reakon you cant go past a decent flood and drain system using hydroton.

anyways as per usual, we are all hanging out for this grow report as it comes along.

Guest Wilderbud

Luke, expanded clay is the best medium for rapid growth [no medium is best though - heh], perlite is second best and peat+perlite is great for healthy growth without much effort IMO.

I want to see you do a peat moss+perlite or a fully organic soil grow - have fun potting up your lush blue widows. :)

Expanded clay or Hydotron is the go. Those shallow rectangle storage containers (1m x 40 cm) about 20 cm deep are 15 bucks from a bargain shop. They make good drain trays and fit 4 x 8 litre buckets perfectly. If you put the drain hole about 5 mm off the bottom they hold a shallow amount of water and in a power failure your plants will have a little in reserve to wick up. 2 trays holds 8 buckets, 8 buckets hold a 50 litre bag of expanded clay divided up evenly into each bucket - about 6.25 ltrs each. The plant in a 2 inch rockwool block goes on top of the clay and you top feed with a dripper.

The roots go off and grow to the bottom and out into the tray. The only hassle is cleaning the rocks after each grow, but I just fill the bath. The hassle is outweighed by the cost saving and not having to get rid of huge bags of soaking rockwool slabs or big pots of soil at the end of each grow. A bag of hydotron 50 L is about 30 bucks I think. The small bags are much more expensive.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys...

I tend to agree that expanded clay is pretty darn good for a hydro media, the only problem is initial cost for me. I still have to get my fan, (bout 30 bucks left) a new globe, (although this one has seen less than a years use, I'm sure I'd do better with a new one.) not to mention the media, pots and so forth... Actually, I may have a couple of pots... hmmm...

How many of you have heard of Dutchpots? They're small, 10l pots used for recirc systems... It can also be modifyed to an aero sys too, although I'm not going to be going that route... Currently there are some ranunculi "Trenton Black" plants in growool in them, but these are just about done now... So I suppose I could use those.... I only have 2... maybe a couple more would be a wise investment.

@weekprik, Turbo Tanks are a waste of time IMO for growing weed. NFT is a difficult system to maintain in high heat environments, and there is more often than not problems in these sytems with space for roots, as well as root diseases from lack of oxygen to the root matt, and then there's the cost... I'd much rather build my own nft table/channelling if I ever used em for growing weed, which I probably wouldn't. I'm not disputing that it can be done, just that it's more difficult, easier to make mistakes and more susceptible to problems than other methods.

@Wilderbud... That's a good idea, an organic grow... It's setting up an efficient enough one within a cramped cupboard that's the problem... I'd need larger pots, and it wouldn't be able to be recirc then... I don't really have an acessible drain either... I've been looking at the A+B organics range lately... Been considering a perlite / coco peat grow... I don't think I will tho, as Perth is notorious for scarid fly, something I assiduously avoid. Summer growing indoors has just so many variables.... :) Oh well. I'll get back to you on that one mate, if I can afford a decently balanced hydro-organic nute, and it can be run in a system without and organic based media, and it's not horrendously expensive to buy, then I may go for it. As it stands, I'm a poor bastard, so I have to use what I can afford.

I like the way you think Vas, we're practically on the same wavelength... Instead of using an exterior tray to sit the pots in, I simply make a reserve in the pots themselves. Drain lines are placed a few cms off the base of the pots, so that when water drains, it leaves an amount in the base for emergencies, and it allows a steady wicking supply of water during the intervals between feeding. A shallow tray system can be easily contaminated with dust, falling stigmas, leaves, etc... A ripe breeding ground for disease and problems... Once again, not disputing the growing method as quite good, if you have the space, and are able to maintain it well. I probably couldn't in the area I'm working in.

One thing I should really let you all know is that I'm cramped for space too. I only have about a 50cm gap between the doors and the wall opposite. Everything has to be small enough to enter and exit easily. I'll be taking pics later today and you'll see what I mean.

Anyway, I think it will end up being a simple recirc perlite setup. I got fantastic results with this last time, although it did have a proportion of growool floc and expanded clay in there too... I'll work on the practicalities of the design today... And let you know what I come up with.

So basically, it's likely to be a double reservoir, (feeder and nutrient res) recirc, perlite, (waterworld brand, bloody great stuff) system, with 3-4 pots, as these are clone plants, not seed grown. It will likely be either the basic 10-15l black plastic pots with a 19mm drain a few cm from base, or a few dutchpots set up in line. The latter would probably do better, but I still have to get a couple more of em. ;) They're not too exp, 12 bucks or so each I think. :)

I've got to increase the size of the passive intake too... that's still too small... And get something in the way of a light baffle back there too... I've got some 250mm ducting, I'll probably use that.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, keep em coming,

Guest weekprik
@weekprik, Turbo Tanks are a waste of time IMO for growing weed. NFT is a difficult system to maintain in high heat environments, and there is more often than not problems in these sytems with space for roots, as well as root diseases from lack of oxygen to the root matt, and then there's the cost... I'd much rather build my own nft table/channelling if I ever used em for growing weed, which I probably wouldn't. I'm not disputing that it can be done, just that it's more difficult, easier to make mistakes and more susceptible to problems than other methods.

Why is a waste of time??

NFT is similar to a turbo tank system but not the same as,

High heat isnt an issue if the area is well ventilated,

the top tray is where the roots sit, and they hang on to cotton wadding material, so no worries there. They are not just left to grow up the chamber,

Lack of oxygen has never been an issue either, If anything this system allows MORE oxygen to the roots, however I still run a airstone in my res and use H202 just incase.

The cost is bugger all if you build your own Turbo system, its only a nute res, and a larger plastic tray on the top, so it cost you 2 plastic containers and a little bit of line.

I will try my hardest to get you a pic of this awesome system,

Iam still using ebb and flow myself but will be changing to a organic soil grow in chanber 1 and a turbo tank in my other chamber.

That waterworld thing- do you mean a waterfarm?