A syk outdoor grow

@Tazstoner:  is there a difference between PIIII with HT and suggested processer and where would you suggest I get this from. Thanks

The AMD will give you more for your money in the home market, I use their XP2800+ myself, the rest was a description of the basic parts I used to build mine. Both the mainboard and the CPU can be over-clocked which is "not recommended" by the manufacturer even though it is one of the main selling points and they provide the software and instructions on how to do it. :D

When buying a PC always check the smaller independent retailers, they will find the best PC for your needs and order/build the system to suit, big retailers can't do that as they only sell package deals with rip-off "pre-installed" software that only works on that model PC. Do not buy a PC unless they provide you with original full version software disks for any programs you are paying for. Get the largest hard drive and fastest processor you can afford (within reason) as these are usually the most expensive to upgrade at a later date.

Most importantly you should shop around, some computer salespeople are con artists and it's very rare that the extra giveaways are really all that free, but the good ones will look after you after the sale too.

Get the largest hard drive and fastest processor you can afford (within reason) as these are usually the most expensive to upgrade at a later date.

Watch out for some of the big retail stuff, as Taz said. You usually can't update the motherboard and.......um, I've had 2 packard bells in 2 1/2 years.......I'm not impressed yet ::D: I'm getting a system built by a comp tech at the moment, not going down that road again. You end up losing too much money, especially if you're going to want to upgrade in the future.

Hahaha.....I'm using a celeron at the moment.....seriously ::o: 600mhz

Thsnks for the advice guys I will probably try to buy a computer based on this months issue of apc they tested 58 computers and in their seperate price ranges they were ranked although not all the info is up to date (like pcquest dream machine comes with sony DVD burner (+/-) but the lack of a burner is a fault in apc) so I will investigate best PC in my price range and hopefully I will be able to buy just the box. as I have a monitor and other peripheral hardware

Thanks again to everyone that has helped me out. After reading the posts concerning buying a new computer I must admit it is all pretty much sound advice and some obvious common sense I would not have considered (eg getting the full version of software thanks TAZ stoner lol )

Regarding the earlier topic of sex ratios that is some excellent practical and theoretiacal knowledge and yes I would have loved to to have gotten an established strain but I am not prepared to get things through the post so I have to be happy with selecting seeds from good mj.

@luke thank you for your post it was very interesting and I wonder what you have been reading/studying to form these opinions, but IMO only the same species can mate as a rule of thumb, but in respect to Cannabis satvia and Indica then this maybe one of the exceptions, is this right will an Indica pollinate a satvia and the reverse? (I thought these were different species but I may be wrong. ) Thanks again for the post and any references on plant genetics would be greatly appreciated ;) Thanx

Orchids are a large exception to that rule mate, they can cross between different genera, let alone different species... and readily form new, completely unrealisable naturally hybrid plants.

Indica and Sativa aren't really recognised as separate species, but actually, Indica is considered a subspecies or variety of the Sativa type. Ruderalis is also considered a subspecies. This just really means that although these diverse groups of plants separated (or at least at one time before man rocked up anyway) at one time in the past and as such developed different characteristics in the neverending struggle to survive, the variation in the single species became greater... It's kinda like people, at one time we all came from a bunch of africans with a penchant for travel... as humans spread about the world, becoming geographically isolated and developing individual customs and such, their genetic diversity increased, as the same species was placed under diverse conditions in various places....

Anyway, all the Cannabis subspecies will cross, although actually identifying which are "subspecies" and which are just a "variety" is another matter all together... I suppose most of us here would stick good ol' Sativa, being the more pinnate leaved and taller plants, and Indica, being the busher, heavier yeilding thc and more dense plants, and perhaps you may include Ruderalis, which is a low thc containing subspecies which originated in Eastern Europe, is quite small and thin leaved, but diff to the others in it's extremely short flowering time. This particular subspecies appears not to have a photoperiodic relationship to flowering, or at least we don't understand it yet... That means no matter what ya do, she's gonna flower when she's ready... which is sooner rather than later..

The problem is, that even tho you, I, and just about everyone else sorta agrees on this, there's been little official botanical studies done on the genetics and relationships between strains. Aside from what breeders themselves have done, and they're mostly concerned with getting better or quicker growing buds, rather than chartering a botanical assay on the plant in it's modern forms. I think you'd really have to set up a hybrid registration system, similar to that operated for orchids, but obviously geared towards the annual nature of MJ. Until it's re-legalised, this is unlikely to happen tho, as this kind of knowledge would make us even more dangerous than we already are to those who don't like MJ... Any reasearch is ultimately a bad thing for prohibition, and botanical descriptions come into this to.

Whew, where'd that come from... been working on the new space for the grow today, so I suppose I had some ozstoners typing stored up in me.

Anyway, Cannagenetics is probably the closest you'll find to a genetics bank, theres also the Strain Base on Uk420, and I think Overgrow does one too. All of these are unofficial of course, and really, you should take any cultural advice with a grain of salt, most of the entries are written by the seed makers.... Lots of other growers are bringing their opinions of this or that strain now tho, so you should be able to find at least some at least moderately independent advice on the strains you're interested in.

I better stop, my hands might break. ;) lol

Thanks for the info Luke I wasn't sure if Cannabis was a species name or not, but you have cleared up that info for me. Yeah there are many exceptons to the rule of only the same species can mate, however my experience has been with animal biology more so than plant, so it may be different . My general lack of info on the connection between the different sub specieces of cannabis has cleared up the ignorant question posted, thanks again, and I look forwad to reading more from you. lol .

Yeah mate, no worries... The rules are somewhat different for plants and animals, particularly with annual and microspermae plant families, which produce large amounts of regular seed. Linnaen nonclemature system science uses may be convenient for the textbooks, but it doesn't really discern the true natures of the inter-relationships between different species, and even within significantly different individuals between species. When man realised he could hybridise plants, we made it even more confusing.... lol

And don't feel ignorant mate, there is never a stupid question if you don't know the answer.... And I'm almost certain that there will be a massive revision of the entire Cannabicea genus in the nearish future, as the re-legalisation movement gets going. So even the names sativa, indica and ruderalis could be lifted to Specific rank,(as in they'd be regarded as species, not subspecies) not to mention we may find there are more "species" cannabis strains than we thought. And we do really need a central registration authority for the recording, development and study of new strains created by breeders. Till then, this is the best we got I suppose. ;)

Thanks for the informative reply Luke, I must admit when it comes to plant genetics and biology, it has been a while.

Linnaen nonclemature system science uses may be convenient for the textbooks, but it doesn't really discern the true natures of the inter-relationships between different species, and even within significantly different individuals between species. When man realised he could hybridise plants, we made it even more confusing....

Ok so you are saying something like the naming system used presently in bio books does not adequetely indicate the true nature of the evolutionary relationships between different species ? : lol :

Thanks again luke

I will attempt to sum up what I have done to date and what I intend to do in respect to my grow:

As explained above the bagseeds were germed in a compost+manure fert and potting mix planted about 3 cm-5cm under soil and watered well then keeped warm and so far 3 from 3 have sprouted But I have 8 more that I have just been put in soil. Then they were transplanted to bigger pots for vegging and selection with just potting mix

I have probably watered and/ or fert.(seaweed extractplant food) too much but it doesn't look like there was any real damage done as the steams and foliage have almost completely recovered. So basically I will dilute the fert and do it less often. Thank you again Wilderbud you probably saved me a lot of time and embarassment as my 1st grow slowly beacame a dismal failure, although I must admit pipemanes 1st grow thread was probably one of the 1st threads that really impressed me here and subsequently brought me back so perhaps some drama in a grow diary with a successful ending isn't such a bad thing but I am sure my little ones didn't like it lol

They are kept in the sun during the day and put under fluoros until I go to bed (12am approx).

So once they have developed to a point were I can select the healthy females I am going to plant them in the bush and take some cuttings from any good females for an indoor/outdoor hydrogrow (I heard sexing can be done towards the end of veg as pre flowers appear?). So hopefully out of the 11 seeds I will get 6 to sprout (including 3 already up) and 1 will be female if not I will have to do try and get an established strain.

Edited by syk613