How Long (realistically) will it be?

Besides... do we really want to legalise it if it'll bump the price up 500%?

The price of retail product wouldn't be an issue if it were legalised, as you could just plant it in your backyard. So yes, we really want that. :P

Seen the fine for growing tobacco lately? It's "legal".

Tobacco is legal to grow in Australia as long as you don't sell it and as long as its not kept shredded. You may grow and keep tobacco as long as its in full leaf form.

Edit: Well it used to be that way anyway, you only needed apply for a permit, just looked it up and it seems its banned altogether now, sorry for the misinfo.

Edited by euph0rix

Apparently every year or so there is a vote betwren the pollies about makeing it legal abd apparently every vote has slowly got more and more of them voteing for it to be legal so yeah i dunno how reliable that is but i have hers it from a few didferent ppl so it could ve true who knows tho

I think we have to wait until the baby boomers have died off! It's not a matter of time but a matter of events. Several things need to happen:

Myths need to be sorted from facts

Stigma needs to be removed

Honest debate about the freedom to consume dangerous products needs to take place. (even though pot is relatively safe)

Advocacy for medical and industrial use needs to be louder- people and the planet are suffering!

Not allow the debate to turn into a joke about the munchies! It's dismissive of a legitimate arguement

If the powers to be say no, ask again. And again and again. We can't just let this go away- that's what they want.

By the way if you haven't seen it, You Tube "The Union, The business of getting high" the most thourough argument for legalisation I've ever seen. it will equip you well against nay sayers.

Unfortunately the generations succeeding the Baby-Boomers are more conservative than they ever were.

Maybe when they've died off ?

Gen X conservative? Poltically maybe, but not in their attitude toward various intoxicants; at least that is my experience.

Sadly I'm not sure it will be legal in my lifetime.

Oh dear, what a pessimistic outlook about cannabis legalization, sorry I cannot dare to think in such vast time frames, far too depressing. This is too urgent an issue as we are talking pain relief here which is a basic human right(isn't it). No way I am thinking in terms of months or year or two at max. Have you downloaded a petition for your state and got as many signatures as you can even if it is only 10 or 20, it is a start, they all add up.