Religion as a way to get freedom to use Cannabis

Hey everyone =) , Had this crazy idea about forming a religion that has as one of it's core principals, the use of Cannabis. much like the Rastafari. Look it is probably really silly but religious freedom could be the answer?

I will do some more research to see if I can find more out, but thought I would put it out there.

Looking for loopholes in the system , while the real solution is being explored....... Legalization. :peace: Gh72

I had this exact same idea a while ago!

I remember when I watched Super High Me there was a christian church about smoking cannabis based on a bible verse about 'the miracle plant' or something and they held services at 4:20 every day.

Good luck searching for loopholes, if you don't already know of it the website with all of Australia's laws and legislations is ComLaw.

Not a bad idea gh!. So long as I don't have to go to church on Sundays. I am up for it. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't mind going to "church" on Sunday... at 4:20! bongon.gif

I have a very creative mind so I'd love to help write scriptures and other religious stuff for our new religion worship.gif

Aaron peace.gif

Edited by BudJones

Amen, Church has started. lol . No, sorry, I was just thinking about it and not so much a seriously structured religion but something that takes advantage of religion as an entity, being a free form of expression.

We are not allowed to descriminate against religion by law, so if part of said religion was the enjoyment/ consumption of Cannabis could it also be unlawful to descriminate against that? Be like little coffeeshops but you make "donations" and roll up a fatty and enjoy the surroundings..... but as a bonus a person who belonged to such a religion might be exempt from the law surrounding Cannabis as it is part of their belief system. We allow many things as part of religions in society, even cults have taken advantage of this fact and hidden behind it.

It came to me after I was remembering an old Rastifari who used to live in Fremantle in WA, I saw him one day smoking a Joint out front of his house and asked him if he got in trouble for it, being illegal. I was a bit too young to remember the full details now but apparently he was allowed on religious grounds and the police tolerated and excepted this. I was amazed and maybe it was seeing Radics picture a few days ago (thanks mate!)on the threads while reading one of the threads, must of stuck in my brain and I dreamt about it.

Anyway I need some help with this one.............. I am not the most book smart cookie in the world, is it worth looking into or just a crazy stoners hash induced pipe dream? Lmao. :peace: Gh72

Nice dream... Now for reality... If you are ever busted for weed in your lifetime, well a decent amount, say hi to prison... Lovely world, isn't it?

Weed is not going to be legal in Oz anytime soon, I would be SHOCKED if there are any major changes within 10 years... I do think though within maybe 70-100 years we have hope, of course we will be all dead by then.

This relates to tax exemptions for religious organisations...strangely though one would have to assume that by these requirements, if canna was legal, you probably could establish your own religion with tax benefits!?

Nonetheless, to be a religion there must be:

belief in a supernatural being, thing or principle, and

acceptance of canons of conduct that give effect to that belief, but that do not offend against the ordinary laws.

http://www.ato.gov.au/nonprofit/content.asp?doc=/content/34269.htm&page=10