upcoming marijuana debate?

How about an honest, statistical comparison between alcohol and pot?

How about not? Using one drug, to bash another drug. Doesn't make any sense to me. Not only that, there are a lot of responsible drinkers out there. Just like there's responsible cannabis comsumers. I was a binge drinker/alcoholic for best part of 20 years 'n now i'm pretty much a teetotaler, apart from maybe once or twice a year on a special ocassion I might have a couple to be sociable. Beleive it or not, there are many people who are the same. Should they possibly have their drinking rights removed because of the unpopular actions of a few who can't handle their liquor?

As for Today Tonight touching on this subject (cannabis TT, not Marijuana you dumb fucks.). I think I'd be inclined to give it a miss. Because I fear of coming away dumber from the experience. Don't expect them to state any facts to back up their claims.

Sparks pretty well covered the rest. :)

:)

Hi Indycar. Wasn't setting out to " bash " alcohol, and apologies to you, and others, if offended. I've not had a drink for 8 years now either ( not preaching or pissing in your pocket )and totally appreciate the fact that the large percentage of alcohol users are responsible whilst consuming. I was merely pointing out another prevalant legal recreational drug to compare. Unfortunately, it's the same old scenario of a few boofheads spoiling it for the rest - George Street was like Goulburn Police Academy last week due to the recent alcohol fuelled violence. Under no circumstances was I suggesting the diminishing of drinking rights,or rights in general in our society, I was merely suggesting that they have a more precise and honest overview of the negatives of our "legal" consumables and possibly entertain the thought of legalising pot on it's own merits.

Cheers for the response Indycar, and have a good day.

The young red - headed cop in the old Aussie series " Cop Shop" had a ripper quote which I will never forget and one for all our partakers of alcohol.

" Better a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy! "

Yeah, no worries THCME. I didn't mean to come across as having a go at you either. But what you mentioned, has been mentioned before. But the concerning part of this angle is we'd probably get some nutter groups try 'n jump onboard and get the whole lot prohibited, in the process.

The way politics/religious beliefs are tied in with each other in this country. It's an outcome that could quite possibly come to fruition, in this present political climate (i.e. Nanny States). As they're pushing the Anti-Alcohol Ads pretty hard as it is nowadays.

:)

Morning...

And, of course, none of our " high steed " tv personalities would ever dream of swaying to the dark side or even ponder the thought of havin' a doobie. Overpaid, double standard wankers the lot of them ( in my opinion ). I believe the going rate for an omitted conscience in the tv industry is $100K, and you get the added bonus of blissful ignorance for free.

there is a couple woody harrelson jack black are both pro weed and the legendary joe roegan (tv presenter/commedian -fear factory ,u.f.c) would have to be the most outspoken on the subject just ask im hell give ya his veiw pub tv live tv whatever :)

Right there with you Budgiekk. Can't get enough of Jack Black and more power to 'em all with there campaigning. I'm not aware of any high profile Aussies willing to be true to the cause in the Public spotlight, please enlighten me if there are.

Be in the having of a good day Budgiekk...

How about an honest, statistical comparison between alcohol and pot?

I really don't have a problem with that statement. I know we have thrashed this out before and agree with Indy's comments on the morale majority using it as a platform to enforce more ridiculous laws, but I think highlighting the violence alcohol causes and the terrible mindless addiction it has on people should be highlighted. If it's the truth what's wrong with talking about it?

Personally I believe alcohol is a far more dangerous drug and can't help but equate it with harm, whereas Cannabis appears to have very little negative consequences.

Both need to be used responsibly, that's the truth.

When both are used irresponsibly the negative effects of alcohol far outweigh the negative effects of Cannabis, why can't this be kicked around for honest discussion? No one needs to say alcohol should be banned, just consumed correctly :)

Problem is the moralistic and religious types over the years have brainwashed society by drawing this imaginary line between legal and illegal drugs (as has been pointed out by the former UK lead drug adviser professor nutt), the majority of people actually believe that alcohol is not a huge problem to society and believe that a safe drug (in comparison to alcohol) like cannabis is the root of all evil. When in reality if they made a scientifically based list of all drugs alcohol would be right up the top and cannabis would be right down the bottom. Alcohol causes more damage to society than all illegal drugs combined and I think it's about time the public were told this fact.

I don't see any problem with making alcohol less socially acceptable and further regulated (with warning labels and banning advertising it, like tobacco) and pointing out to the ignorant that using alcohol is no different to using other drugs that people like to consume recreationly. It's a perfectly valid argument to compare the two and in my experience from debating family members who are brainwashed religious extremist, is one of the most effective arguments you can use when debating the cannabis issue.

I'm not judging anybody by what they put in there bodies, you can smoke crack for all I care, it's your born right to choose. But the time has come to finally take a scientifically based look at the drug issue and point out the facts as they are and leave the moralistic opinions out of it, which means educating the masses about drugs in comparison to there actual danger, which means pointing out that alcohol is more dangerous than cannabis.

As for this today tonight report, I know how it's going to go but I'll watch it, you gotta know your enemy! What's the lose of a few IQ points. Fuck it, they tell me I'm at 144 and I really don't use it for much anyway!!

This is the sort of thing Today Tonight will do:

Initially it will start good with the question "Should Cannabis be legalized?"

But they will show some ex-junkie, who has used heroin and meth, and he will say he smoked pot and that he stabbed someone on pot and that it was the pot that made him do it. Then they will have some doctor or psychologist saying that most cases of psychosis are now due to pot, and no counter argument will be heard...

Of course people such as Kevin Rudd if they hear at all about the show, will just think "If only people followed the way of christ and not the way of the devil"