who trims below scrog line

yea i now but i have a 130w fluro on the bottom + bubble bags you know how precase spindally buds are when you have hash bags 4weeks into flower i have plenty of little buds directly above fluro .light above is 400hps wich doesnt penatrate at all its a hard decision ill get a good ounce dry from below i dont know if i would get this much extra from the tops if i cut it all away decisions,decisions

greetingz

i hav an out door scrog system happening right now

imho

i dont trim anyting off unless it is causing a problem to the plants health eg infected with insects or deseased

all the likkle growing bits under the shade of the budz and leaf above is not useing up energy at all

in fact it is a store for processed nutrients for later emerancy use

natural recycling system

it is always instantly available, primed and ready to go

it will be used by the plant during flushing when no nutrients are available

and in times of stress it is a valluable buffer for the plants recoverary

so i man never cut na trim

irey guidance

all the likkle growing bits under the shade of the budz and leaf above is not useing up energy at all

In this instance Radic , you are very wrong .

The little stuff at the bottom is the first to take up nutrients ,water etc .

As I said , the vineyard industry takes off these suckers to promote top growth and I hardly think this multi million dollar industry is wrong here .

The stuff under the canopy in a scrog also amounts to nothing as the light wont reach there , so it is best to remove it to let all the nutes etc to go straight to the top canopy where it is needed .

yes grower you could be right

however

the reason they remove the suckers off grape vines

is to stop the root stock from developing shoots

as most vinyards are grafted

and its part of the plant training for healthy harvest

it has become standard management practices in vinyards

as i said

imho

i came to this conclusion years ago

this is what they teach at agg collage and i had to do some experments to prove it

not with grapes tho

thats how i manage my plants today

you know the best way to find the answer

maybe

to devide the shady under side area in half and cut off all on one side and leave the other side untouched

now

check unitformity of the buds pon top as they grow

see for your self

i have been there

generally i find

to increase yeild it is better not to cut or trim

seen

there are ways round this

seen

there is allways that excepetional plant

seen

there are exceptions to this rule

but

generally

i believe

to increase yeild it is better not to cut or trim

irey guidance

Closet Grower, there is various reasons as to why commercial crops such vineyards etc trim off the sucklings off the base of the plant/vine. What you meantioned is possibly one of them.

It's also done for making spraying for weeds a lot easier, that way these sucklings aren't there to take up any overspray of herbicides. Also, any sucklings below the graft, on the rootstock are useless 'n will never bear any commercially viable fruit. As well as in general keeping things tidy around the orchard/vineyard. That's only to mention a handful of reasons. I'm sure you'll find various farmers do it for many other reasons.

It all comes down to who informs you as to why they do it. To stand there and blurt out that it's a standard practise across an entire industry only for that one reason, goes to show how ill informed you've been over the months/years, in your chosen industry.

Now to the topic, at hand. I've grown a handful of scrogs grows (indoors) over the last couple of years, and i've trimmed below the scrog line and i've also only thinned out to improve ventilation underneath, and left as much there as possible, more so the shade/sun leaves. Because i did once hear a theory that these leaves hold the sugars (or similar) that in time will provide the goodies for head/trichrome production. This is only heresay at the moment to me, as i haven't seen it documented anywhere as yet.

But with that said, I can't say there's been a noticable difference between either methods. I will continue with only removing the necessary growth and leave what i can in future.

I must admit though, a scrog trimmed below the screen does make things look a lot better. :peace:

:shy:

With tomatoes they generally take the laterals of to promote growth and fruit towards the top of the plants. Tomatoes are vines though. One thing I have noticed since growing capsicums is that they tend to 'go bonkers' with lot's of branches and fruit. When I first started I did nothing and found that all I got was small fruit. Once I started selectively taking of branches I have found that I get less fruit but bigger.

Just my two bobs worth...........could be worth just that!!!!

heres a few pix of some lead dammage caused from a rat eating them druing grow

about a mth ago

she has been in flower for 3wks

she is a trifollia

under scrog

you can clearly see the damage to the leaves

the buds they are connected to are all stunted

http://www.earthreggae.com/img/ganga/LeafDamage2.jpg

the bud in the middle is smaller because it has lost the leaves that support its growth

http://www.earthreggae.com/img/ganga/LeafDamage1.jpg

that leaf was only partly dammaged

yet still you can clearly see the results

the red area should be full of bud

as the surrounding undammaged leaf and buds show

irey guidance

Closet Grower, there is various reasons as to why commercial crops such vineyards etc trim off the sucklings off the base of the plant/vine. What you meantioned is possibly one of them.

It's also done for making spraying for weeds a lot easier, that way these sucklings aren't there to take up any overspray of herbicides. Also, any sucklings below the graft, on the rootstock are useless 'n will never bear any commercially viable fruit. As well as in general keeping things tidy around the orchard/vineyard. That's only to mention a handful of reasons. I'm sure you'll find various farmers do it for many other reasons.

It all comes down to who informs you as to why they do it. To stand there and blurt out that it's a standard practise across an entire industry only for that one reason, goes to show how ill informed you've been over the months/years, in your chosen industry.

As for making spraying weeds easier ,, that too is not true , as there are sprays out there(spray seed) that will only affect the what it hits ,, so therefore , it is not required to remove the Suckers as it doesnt affect the whole plant . The suckers are removed to promote the top growth . .

I am not ill informed as you say ,, if I am ,, then the whole Grape industry is also misinformed , and I doubt that !

Are you in the Industry ?