Single Policy Marijuana Party for Queensland?

Ok, it's been a few days. I've made the trip to Nimbin, had a long chat with some of the guys there and to be honest, it's not looking too good just yet.

I get the distinct impression that the folks there have either given up or just don't know what to do. The only Cannabis law reform work currently in progress anywhere in Australia is the Mardigrass which as we have discussed is almost totally ineffective.

Examples of trips to Sydney for a large protest apparantly went sour many years ago. Noone turned up.

I like what you say about groups Moose and agree with your comments regarding in-fighting, but unless some organisation is present, we will not progress nor will we be effective I fear.

I like your enthusiasm Grace. Being in the formative position this seems to be, these dates are not possible just yet.

We must organise. Not by taking a huge paper mache joint to Sydney and have noone turn up, but by ensuring there's always a few of us (plus speakers) at these court dates. Perhaps I may run a poll and check the interest here first. We need to be right across our arguments and what we have to say. I have some contacts in Canadian activists groups, I'll contact them and get their ideas for getting this rolling.

But I think we may need to at least consider the possibility that Australians may just be too lazy or nonchalant to give a fuck about helping themselves in this regard. It may boil down to a competition between an individuals "green paraboia" and their laziness. Given the numbers of us that use this herb, and the complete lack of any central non-hippie acitivist group, I say it's the latter.

We can put in the effort, but don't bother if we're not getting enough support. . Let me run this poll.

Sorry this isn't more positive, I haven't given up, I've just been disappointed by the lack of acitivism or interest by most of us.

See my edited post above. Try not to be disheartened. Change is coming in Australia. One step at a time, but change nevertheless, is coming!

Here is the edited text.

Re the rally in Canberra, it is my opinion that it be a rally for medicinal cannabis, rather than a rally for ending prohibition. I think if we had folks out in support of medical, medical, medical, that we would get a better hearing. If the rally was headed up as in Canadian rallies, by folks in wheelchairs, on crutches, etc, all calling for the right to medicate as needed, we will get more attention. We need to get the doctors, dentists, lawyers, draughtsman, public servants marching. We need to conventionalise an unconventional message, and do it in a way that mainstream Australia can relate to.

I would like to hear more opinion on this. It is my experience that rainbows, dreads, and beads have so far carried a limited message to the Australian masses, due largely to being stereotyped. We need to do what Emery did, and turn up in regular attire (what I referred to as mufti), so that we are seen as regular Australians, by regular Australians. Emery broke the stereotype, and he did it very successfully. Regardless of what folks think of Emery and his ways, he did what others could not.

Also, take Marco Renda, the owner/editor of Treating Yourself Magazine. He always dresses 'conventionally', and look what he has achieved. You only need to read the Hitzig Decision to see what he and the others achieved in the Ontario Superior Court. His actions resulted in a Constitutional change in Canada, such that Health Canda was forced to grow and supply medicinal cannabis to those patients requiring it. Marco is a hero in my books, and one who I model on, rather than Marc Emery.

While there are still issues before the Canadian courts on the Medical Marijuana Access Regulations, they are moving in the right direction. Marco and his mates carried that unconventional message in a conventional way, and they moved mountains. We need to do the same here in Australia!

Edited by smokin.moose

...but by ensuring there's always a few of us (plus speakers) at these court dates.

I think this is a very important thing to do. At most court dates there is media that you can take advantage of and get the message out, if possible. Use whatever opportunities you can find. Add to this that the person(s) that you are there to support will appreciate your presence, and you can see where I am coming from.

I like the way you think Moose. The more of the Canadian model we can adopt, the better. I was always trepidatious about hitching this cause to the industrial hemp bandwagon. I don't think that's the way to go. In fact, I think it's detrimental.

But the Medicial Cannabis movement is much better. Much more likely to be well received. I think we need to sound out the size and major players in that community.

Over the last few months I have had close contact with some of Marc Emery's right hand men. These guys make their livings from cannabis activism. These are the guys who have taken it to the man, not just in Canada, but right around the world. They have a wealth of knowledge, and know how to bring about change.

Here is an article by David Malmo-Levine, one of these men, that is very relevent to this thread. I hope you enjoy it. It originally appeared in Cannabis Culture Magazine January 19 2004

How to put on a pot rally

by David Malmo-Levine. January 19 2004

Tips, tricks and techniques to ensure your pot protest is the best it can be.

Thinking of putting on a marijuana march or pot protest in your hometown? I have been organizing rallies and events for 10 years, both in Edmonton and Vancouver. Here's some advice based on my experience and past mistakes.

* Accept the possibility of arrest. First of all, you must accept arrest as the possible price of pot activism. Remember that it is better to get busted out in the open with all your friends watching and the cameras rolling and the media there, than late at night, all alone, with no one watching. Once you have accepted arrest as inevitable (and our foes promise this is true), then you can decide to get arrested on your terms, not theirs. You are then free to crank the dignity and fun level up to "11" ? have a bud raffle, best plant contest, and so on.

* Learn from others. Plenty of event organizers are floating around who have hard-earned and valuable insights. Join the discussion at cannabisculture.com/chat, and get in touch with activists in your area.

* Pick the right time and date. A good time to start your event is 2pm. Any earlier and you will have smaller crowd. Remember that most people have jobs and cannot attend events during their workday. The Global Marijuana March is always the first Saturday in May. Other good dates are July 4 in the US and July 1 in Canada.

The best opportunities for a successful smoke-in are when another large crowd is keeping the police busy and the streets are full of curious onlookers ? like holidays, fireworks, etc. However, you don't want to compete with other major events that might draw away your crowd. Try to work synergistically; perhaps you can time your event so that you get people who are just leaving an earlier event.

* Make a poster. Find someone who can design a poster with eye-catching graphics and easy-to-read text. List the event's time and place clearly, as well as attractions like speakers, drummers, marching bands, face painters, circus performers, free marijuana, and so on.

Your poster should say "prizes will be handed out for best costume and sign" and "no booze or anger, but bring all your buds." It should also include a contact number "to volunteer, or for more information."

Posters stay up longer with a 10:1 mix of water and wood glue. They stay up even longer if you haul a ladder around with you and put them high up. Have smaller posters ready for small poles. Add a dash of color to the posters by coloring the pot leaves.

Print a leaflet (mini-poster) to hand out at rock concerts, skate demos, festivals and other youth-culture activities. Distribute posters and leaflets to all compassion clubs, hemp stores, youth retail stores, clubs, alternative and campus radio, and newspapers.

Print as many posters and leaflets as possible, but use what you print. 10,000 leaflets and 1,000 posters can cover a major city. Distribute them through school, work, and activist networks.

Posters and leaflets should be printed and ready at least eight weeks before your event. Your entire city or region should be covered by them at least one month before the day of the smoke-in.

* Make banners. Banners can be hung behind and around the speakers and any musicians. They can also be carried during a parade. Simple slogans and big pot leaves always work well.

* Try to get a permit. Your permit will almost certainly be denied, but you should ask anyways. If a permit is denied, hold the smoke-in regardless, citing your constitutional right to free expression.

Either way, send out a press release immediately ? it's an opportunity for advance publicity for the rally.

Do not sacrifice any previously-gained tolerance (such as glass pipe sales) to gain a permit ? it is better to go without a permit than without dignity. Trying to work within the bureaucracy can often drain your energy and dilute your focus.

If a permit is obtained, think about obtaining a real sound system and some rock bands. If you are planning a very large event, then insurance should be considered.

Try to get a sympathetic lawyer to agree to help out if something goes wrong with the permit application or if someone gets busted.

* Send out a press release. All local and regional media should be told of the event at least one week before the event. Make sure your fax press release has the date, place, time, reason for being and contact info. You should also call up sympathetic reporters to tell them personally about your event and invite them to attend.

When being interviewed by the media, pick a simple theme in advance and keep repeating it.

* Keep it peaceful. Make an announcement at the beginning of the smoke-in that everyone there swears on their honor to not hurt anyone, not break anything, but to just make a whole lot of noise. That really gets the crowd going and deters provocateurs.

* Plan out your parade. If there is to be a parade, make sure the most stoned people are not leading the crowd. Have some solid folks out front, carrying a big banner. Make sure they pull it tight so people can read it. Also ensure that they walk really slowly, to keep your mob tight.

Have a well-planned route that your front banner folks all know ahead of time. Make sure your route doesn't send you head-on into oncoming traffic, that it is in a very public, high foot-traffic area, and that your route is given to the local fire department.

* Give away marijuana. If you can afford it and are brave, then joints or other canna-treats can be given out. Make sure this is done within the middle of the crowd, quietly, perhaps even with the distributor wearing a "Groucho" mask.

You can also ask the crowd to sit down in groups of five and pass them one joint each and ask them to share. Getting them to all sit down first is essential, as otherwise there will be a stampede.

* Film the police. Have some brave people designated to follow any "harassment" cops around with cameras. They should constantly ask the police officers questions, such as why there are "grow busters" but no "rape busters," or their thoughts on the relative harm of cannabis as compared to caffeine, alcohol or tobacco.

The people wielding the cameras should be firm but polite with the police, and should not have any marijuana on their person. Their goal is not to enrage the police, but rather to keep them distracted and show them that they are being filmed.

* Get musicians. If you have money, pay talented musicians to perform drugpeace songs, or thespians to perform short drugpeace dramas. Otherwise convince them to perform for free. Have song sheets or programs to hand out with contact information on them.

* Have a literature table. You can get pamphlets from the BC Marijuana Party. Just give them a call or an email and with a request for a package of pamphlets to reproduce and hand out.

* Collect names and numbers. Remember to collect names and phone numbers of smoke-in attendees who want to help with the next smoke-in or other activism.

* Send it to Pot-TV. Send a well-edited five to 15-minute video of your rally to Pot-TV. We'll put it online as an inspiration to other rally organizers.

* Keep it fun. It's usually better to keep your event light and positive. Try to make your event a fun celebration rather than an angry protest.

Nobody is expecting perfection ? your best efforts will be more than enough to get the job done.

Hug Power

"Hug Power" is a technique that may be practiced in some of the more tolerant areas. It can be very effective in stopping police arrests, but it is a risky tactic that will only work under the right circumstances.

Hug Power is used when you wish to deter and prevent arrests, sometimes even resulting in an "un-arresting" or "de-arresting" of the cannabis criminal out of the hands of the police.

Hug Power is practiced simply by a group of people all hugging the person who is being unfairly arrested. If a large number of people are all holding on tightly to each other, with the intended arrestee in the middle, then the police have to pull off a large number of non-violent protesters to reach their target.

I have used this technique at a number of rallies in Edmonton and Vancouver. We have successfully stopped the police from making their arrest a number of times.

To practice Hug Power, you need the crowd to understand what to do. Make an announcement at the beginning of the rally after the anti-provocateur speech.

Take a poll and find out if people are prepared to defend each other using non-violent arrest-resistance tactics. Explain that Hug Power does not mean "hug the police" ? it means "hug the person getting arrested."

Explain that Hug Power only works on victimless criminals, and only works when video cameras are around to record the unjustifiable use of force by police.

Explain that one is not to touch the police during Hug Power. The point is to obstruct the arrest only. Police should always be spoken to politely, but firmly.

If you are practicing Hug Power, be prepared for the real possibility of getting roughed up or beaten by the cops at some point.

The cops still have "Rodney King-o-phobia" ? they hate getting caught on film using force without clear justification. So be sure to have plenty of independent cameramen and videographers at all your events! The chance of being caught on film is the best deterrent to police violence and your ultimate victory.

As the Yippie writer Vinegar Ben wrote: "The smoke-in is a blank canvas. Be sure your message is in the final picture."David Malmo-Levine revs up the crowd in his traditional `Stoned Cat in the Hat` hat.

For more information and ideas, read Saul Alinsky's Rules for Radicals, it's a book which outlines methods that poor, unarmed, imaginative people can use to affect public opinion with. Also check out Douglas Rushkoff's Media Virus ...same topic but more modern tactics.

******************************************************************************************

The best forum for activist discussion is at OzStoners

Edited by smokin.moose

I'm in Eastern Melb but I would be happy to go to any court dates in Melb as long as I can.

That is, if there is support, not just me. I agree that we need at LEAST 10 people at each one, it will get media attention.

So we would need to be constantly searching for court dates of people getting busted for medicinal use. Get in early

and then there will be time for people to say "yes I will go".

Hi Teucer, Smokin Moose and anyone else new to the topic. A pot rally would be great if we could drum up enough support. I live three hours out west from Brisbane so I can't offer any myself.

A high profile case would be easiest to organise for. Unfortunately its very difficult to find a large crowd of lobbyists nowadays. You might need some sort of publicity stunt to draw attention to your protest.

While many people agree that the law needs changing, few are actually prepared to stand up and do anything much about it. I think setting an example and leading the way is admirable but it takes time to attract large numbers of people to these events and often the court case is over in one day.

Some good ideas coming. Sadly I don't see it as very likely the LCP will find 500 odd members before the next state election. For the same reason. People just aren't very interested. Getting them interested will require some novel solutions.

Using the www to network certainly helps, and is just one tool in my armoury of activist methods.

Here is a suggestion that you also might find helpful.

198 METHODS OF NONVIOLENT ACTION

Below is the Table of Contents of Gene Sharp’s book The Methods of Nonviolent Action, Boston 1973. The book is available from War Resisters League, 339 Layfayette St. NY NY 10004 (212) 228-0450 for $13.25, including postage

THE METHODS OF NONVIOLENT PROTEST AND PERSUASION

FORMAL STATEMENTS

1. Public speeches

2. Letters of opposition or support

3. Declarations by organizations and institutions

4. Signed public declarations

5. Declarations of indictment and intention

6. Group or mass petitions

COMMUNICATIONS WITH A WIDER AUDIENCE

7. Slogans, caricatures, and symbols

8. Banners, posters, and displayed communications

9. Leaflets, pamphlets, and books

10. Newspapers and journals

11. Records, radio, and television

12. Skywriting and earthwriting

GROUP REPRESENTATIONS

13. Deputations

14. Mock awards

15. Group lobbying

16. Picketing

17. Mock elections

SYMBOLIC PUBLIC ACTS

18. Displays of flags and symbolic colours

19. Wearing of symbols

20. Prayer and worship

21. Delivering symbolic objects

22. Protest disrobings

23. Destruction of own property

24. Symbolic lights

25. Displays of portraits

26. Paint as protest

27. New signs and names

28. Symbolic sounds

29. Symbolic reclamations

30. Rude gestures

PRESSURES ON INDIVIDUALS

31. "Haunting" officials

32. Taunting officials

33. Fraternization

34. Vigils

DRAMA AND MUSIC

35. Humourous skits and pranks

36. Performances of plays and music

37. Singing

PROCESSIONS

38. Marches

39. Parades

40. Religious processions

41. Pilgrimages

42. Motorcades

HONOURING THE DEAD

43. Political mourning

44. Mock funerals

45. Demonstrative funerals

46. Homage at burial places

PUBLIC ASSEMBLIES

47. Assemblies of protest or support

48. Protest meetings

49. Camouflaged meetings of protest

50. Teach-ins

WITHDRAWAL AND RENUNCIATION

51. Walk-outs

52. Silence

53. Renouncing honours

54. Turning one's back

THE METHODS OF SOCIAL NONCOOPERATION

OSTRACISM OF PERSONS

55. Social boycott

56. Selective social boycott

57. Lysistratic nonaction

58. Excommunication

59. Interdict

NONCOOPERATION WITH SOCIAL EVENTS, CUSTOMS, AND INSTITUTIONS

60. Suspension of social and sports activities

61. Boycott of social affairs

62. Student strike

63. Social disobedience

64. Withdrawal from social institutions

WITHDRAWAL FROM THE SOCIAL SYSTEM

65. Stay-at-home

66. Total personal noncooperation

67. "Flight" of workers

68. Sanctuary

69. Collective disappearance

70. Protest emigration (hijrat)

THE METHODS OF ECONOMIC NONCOOPERATION: ECONOMIC BOYCOTTS

ACTION BY CONSUMERS

71. Consumers' boycott

72. Nonconsumption of boycotted goods

73. Policy of austerity

74. Rent withholding

75. Refusal to rent

76. National consumers' boycott

77. International consumers' boycott

ACTION BY WORKERS AND PRODUCERS

78. Workers' boycott

79. Producers' boycott

ACTION BY MIDDLEMEN

80. Suppliers' and handlers' boycott

ACTION BY OWNERS AND MANAGEMENT

81. Traders' boycott

82. Refusal to let or sell property

83. Lockout

84. Refusal of industrial assistance

85. Merchants' "general strike"

ACTION BY HOLDERS OF FINANCIAL RESOURCES

86. Withdrawal of bank deposits

87. Refusal to pay fees, dues, and assessments

88. Refusal to pay debts or interest

89. Severance of funds and credit

90. Revenue refusal

91. Refusal of a government's money

ACTION BY GOVERNMENTS

92. Domestic embargo

93. Blacklisting of traders

94. International sellers' embargo

95. International buyers' embargo

96. International trade embargo

THE METHODS OF ECONOMIC NONCOOOPERATION: THE STRIKE

SYMBOLIC STRIKES

97. Protest strike

98. Quickie walkout (lightning strike)

AGRICULTURAL STRIKES

99. Peasant strike

100. Farm workers' strike

STRIKES BY SPECIAL GROUPS

101. Refusal of impressed labour

102. Prisoners' strike

103. Craft strike

104. Professional strike

ORDINARY INDUSTRIAL STRIKES

105. Establishment strike

106. Industry strike

107. Sympathy strike

RESTRICTED STRIKES

108. Detailed strike

109. Bumper strike

110. Slowdown strike

111. Working-to-rule strike

112. Reporting "sick" (sick-in)

113. Strike by resignation

114. Limited strike

115. Selective strike

MULTI-INDUSTRY STRIKES

116. Generalised strike

117. General strike

COMBINATION OF STRIKES AND ECONOMIC CLOSURES

118. Hartal

119. Economic shutdown

THE METHODS OF POLITICAL NONCOOPERATION

REJECTION OF AUTHORITY

120. Withholding or withdrawal of allegiance

121. Refusal of public support

122. Literature and speeches advocating resistance

CITIZENS' NONCOOPERATION WITH GOVERNMENT

123. Boycott of legislative bodies

124. Boycott of elections

125. Boycott of government employment and positions

126. Boycott of government departments, agencies, and other bodies

127. Withdrawal from governmental educational institutions

128. Boycott of government-supported institutions

129. Refusal of assistance to enforcement agents

130. Removal of own signs and placemarks

131. Refusal to accept appointed officials

132. Refusal to dissolve existing institutions

CITIZENS' ALTERNATIVES TO OBEDIENCE

133. Reluctant and slow compliance

134. Nonobedience in absence of direct supervision

135. Popular nonobedience

136. Disguised disobedience

137. Refusal of an assemblage or meeting to disperse

138. Sitdown

139. Noncooperation with conscription and deportation

140. Hiding, escape, and false identities

141. Civil disobedience of "illegitimate" laws

ACTION BY GOVERNMENT PERSONNEL

142. Selective refusal of assistance by government aides

143. Blocking of lines of command and information

144. Stalling and obstruction

145. General administrative noncooperation

146. Judicial noncooperation

147. Deliberate inefficiency and selective noncooperation by

enforcement agents

148. Mutiny

DOMESTIC GOVERNMENTAL ACTION

149. Quasi-legal evasions and delays

150. Noncooperation by constituent governmental units

INTERNATIONAL GOVERNMENTAL ACTION

151. Changes in diplomatic and other representation

152. Delay and cancellation of diplomatic events

153. Withholding of diplomatic recognition

154. Severance of diplomatic relations

155. Withdrawal from international organisations

156. Refusal of membership in international bodies

157. Expulsion from international organisations

THE METHODS OF NONVIOLENT INTERVENTION

PSYCHOLOGICAL INTERVENTION

158. Self-exposure to the elements

159. The fast

a) Fast of moral pressure

:thumbsup: Hunger strike

c) Satyagrahic fast

160. Reverse trial

161. Nonviolent harassment

PHYSICAL INTERVENTION

162. Sit-in

163. Stand-in

164. Ride-in

165. Wade-in

166. Mill-in

167. Pray-in

168. Nonviolent raids

169. Nonviolent air raids

170. Nonviolent invasion

171. Nonviolent interjection

172. Nonviolent obstruction

173. Nonviolent occupation

SOCIAL INTERVENTION

174. Establishing new social patterns

175. Overloading of facilities

176. Stall-in

177. Speak-in

178. Guerrilla theatre

179. Alternative social institutions

180. Alternative communication system

ECONOMIC INTERVENTION

181. Reverse strike

182. Stay-in strike

183. Nonviolent land seizure

184. Defiance of blockades

185. Politically motivated counterfeiting

186. Preclusive purchasing

187. Seizure of assets

188. Dumping

189. Selective patronage

190. Alternative markets

191. Alternative transportation systems

192. Alternative economic institutions

POLITICAL INTERVENTION

193. Overloading of administrative systems

194. Disclosing identities of secret agents

195. Seeking imprisonment

196. Civil disobedience of "neutral" laws

197. Work-on without collaboration

198. Dual sovereignty and parallel government

Instead of sitting around moping and saying "Things will never change", find a spark, find some courage, find the time, and select one or more of the suggested methods and put them to DAILY practice.

Change WILL come to Australia. As I said earlier in this thread, medical cannabis is the way ahead for us here in Australia. It will be the theme from here on I hope.

And as Obama said...

YES WE CAN!!!!!

Edited by smokin.moose