Single Policy Marijuana Party for Queensland?

The website looks good. All it needs now is a downloadable membership application form. I'm sure the Hemp Embassy wouldn't mind if we copied most of their NSW form.

NSW HEMP Embassy form.

Shouldn't be any difference between states as far as I know. Writing up the constitution will be a bit harder but we have some time before having to cross that bridge. There are only a couple of rules which must be included such as declaring an intention to put up candidates for the state election.

Anna Bligh looks to be calling an early election. Which practically ruins any chance we had of winning. We might not be able to find enough members in time to register. I seriously doubt there'll be enough time to sort out candidates. Shame really. I thought once we got the ball rolling we could seriously challenge the LNP and Labor machines. The public is so sick and tired of their hypocrisy and lies that the protest voters alone could probably put us over the line. Oh well. Maybe next election. Assuming cannabis hasn't already been legalised by our flipflopping parliaments.

Hey Wayne,

I've just done the sign-up to the site. I'm in SEQ and willing to help. Fuck Cap'n Bligh and her early election. Doesn't mean we can't still do it. Even if folks just SEE that there's a legalise MJ party on that form, we'll get votes. I've done the whole electioneering thing at both Fed and State level, so I may be able to throw some light onto things for you.

C'mon folks, noone's gonna change things for us.

To the bloke before saying to look at the American model for electioneering and bypass the celebs - that is NOT the American model. POTUS gets elected to a large degree BECAUSE of how many celebs support him.

Unfortunately we, like them, are stuck in our 2-party system with pref voting.

SUX!

To the bloke before saying to look at the American model for electioneering and bypass the celebs - that is NOT the American model. POTUS gets elected to a large degree BECAUSE of how many celebs support him.

SUX!

Silly me for suggesting that an American celebrity known for her tits and lack of brains is not a good look to represent Queensland pot users.

America has medical cannabis available in 13 states (I think). I was suggesting looking at how they have done it. I did not say follow the American model for electioneering.

freddie,

You have a quite valid point. All I'm saying is that if the enemy is firing rockets at you, don't fire back arrows. Use their own weapons.

I agree celebs have NOTHING to do with what we're trying to achieve and in an intelligent society (such as Athens circa 5th century BC under Pericles/Socrates) they would matter not one iota. There's little constructive input they can add. Almost irrelevant. I agree.

Perhaps Pammy was a bad example. But I think it's the concept that's important.

We have tried now for decades using the rational argument approach, the evidence, etc etc etc. I think perhaps there is merit in trying a separate approach. Not exclusively, but as part of our overall armoury in this war. I put it to you that to study our enemies methods for success in changing/influencing public opinion is an intelligent and effective thing to do. I believe that if we then apply those lessons would be quite effective. And this in ADDITION to the approach you advocate. I don't favour either side of the arguments here, I favour BOTH.

I have all respect for the Nimbin mob and the hippie movement. But unfortunately that is not going to cut it here. It never has and I doubt ever will. The public see a bunch of hippies sitting around smoking pot and looking like, well hippies, they turn off. It may sound terrible and get us angry, but that does not change the truth. I suggest asking a random sample of people you know about this. It's true. We need to not just emply, but modify and beef up the enemies tactics. If we wish to become accepted mainstream like say Alcohol is now, then we need to begin to appear such. There are many things we each can do to help:

1. Stop living up to our stereotypes. Seriously folks!

2. Pay attention to your appearance. You want people to take you seriously right? Change those clothes. You may appear fringe wearing those baggy pants and baseball cap, or walking around shirtless, but what are YOU saying about our movement? People like this unfortunately simply re-enforce the stereotypes.

3. Watch the way you talk. Be a bit more polite and civilised.

4. Keep pot arguments to the argument. DON'T make it personal. This also switches people off.

5. Unite. Simple. We need to unite as a group and not let Big Brother split us up. If there's any grower/stoner going to court, there should be a protest every time. EVERY time.

This is a war folks. The sooner we recognise that for what it is the sooner we can effectively fight it. Not with violence, not militantly. That would just turn the people we need to convince off. Look at Marc Emery. He is a celebrity. He is non-violent but he employs a militant approach and his oratory skills are great. He does come off a bit kooky at times but in general his approach is working.

Imagine if there were even just another 10 people in the world like him...

We can make this happen. But we need to be smart about it. Get off your lazy arses and DO something. Doesn't have to be much and you can even help anonymously!

(Some of you already are - but if you read my post intellectually, you'd know I don't mean YOU).

FREE THE HERB

I have all respect for the Nimbin mob and the hippie movement. But unfortunately that is not going to cut it here. It never has and I doubt ever will. The public see a bunch of hippies sitting around smoking pot and looking like, well hippies, they turn off. It may sound terrible and get us angry, but that does not change the truth. I suggest asking a random sample of people you know about this. It's true. We need to not just emply, but modify and beef up the enemies tactics. If we wish to become accepted mainstream like say Alcohol is now, then we need to begin to appear such. There are many things we each can do to help:

1. Stop living up to our stereotypes. Seriously folks!

2. Pay attention to your appearance. You want people to take you seriously right? Change those clothes. You may appear fringe wearing those baggy pants and baseball cap, or walking around shirtless, but what are YOU saying about our movement? People like this unfortunately simply re-enforce the stereotypes.

3. Watch the way you talk. Be a bit more polite and civilised.

4. Keep pot arguments to the argument. DON'T make it personal. This also switches people off.

5. Unite. Simple. We need to unite as a group and not let Big Brother split us up. If there's any grower/stoner going to court, there should be a protest every time. EVERY time.

This is a war folks. The sooner we recognise that for what it is the sooner we can effectively fight it. Not with violence, not militantly. That would just turn the people we need to convince off. Look at Marc Emery. He is a celebrity. He is non-violent but he employs a militant approach and his oratory skills are great. He does come off a bit kooky at times but in general his approach is working.

Imagine if there were even just another 10 people in the world like him...

We can make this happen. But we need to be smart about it. Get off your lazy arses and DO something. Doesn't have to be much and you can even help anonymously!

(Some of you already are - but if you read my post intellectually, you'd know I don't mean YOU).

FREE THE HERB

I believe this to be sound advice, and advice that folks here in Australia should take to heart. Despite what folks think of Marc Emery, would he have achieved what he has if he were not seen by the public as a man in a suit with a very conservative appearance? I think not.

I know this may be a contentious issue, but I feel that if we want to fight this war on drugs and win, we have to do it in mufti.

Edited by smokin.moose

Here here.

We Australians are generally a lazy lot. A bit different to say, the French. Surprising though, I believe many of us are politically savvy (although not the majority). A political party is an opportunity to form a nucleus around which we can commence a legalisation movement.

The reason I have not joined a cannabis party previously is because of the reasons I mentioned in my first post on this thread. It appears that most pot parties are hippie-based, protest-movement. In an ideal society this would be wonderful. Hippies are some of the most experienced and knowledgable people I know. And it's certainly their shoulders upon which we stand today.

But I dare say the average Australian not connected with MJ hold a view in their minds of people with long hair in hemp clothes marching up George St protesting with mega-phones and getting all emotional-like. I understand this is an emotional issue. It's close to the hearts of many of us. But continuous presentation from the media of this image has simply reinforced this view.

An average person I dare say would think of a pot smoker as a greenie/hippie. These are good people with important issues, but if we wish to get this issue solved we must appear mainstream.

I don't know if any of you remember the WTO protests at Crown in Melbourne in the late nineties? I was there in a suit and tie as were many others. The response from the general public when they saw the suits all protesting was shock.

Fight fire with fire.

If we were to mobilise a number of us for a protest at the courtcase of some poor pot grower/stoner and organised it properly - suits, professionals, etc (this is where the CELEBRITIES very much assist - see how the two tie together?) - with one or two good orators for questions that may be posed, I think the response would be shock.

Now imagine if we could mobilise enough of us to do this everytime a stoner/grower was up for court?

The problem folks is that we are divided. We need to stick together. How much of this are we going to put up with? How many more of us need to go to gaol? Or lose our kids? Do you want to see YOUR children grow up without the benefits of our herb? Or knowing that if they indulge there may be a serious threat that they would end up in prison - at least with a crimincal conviction? All for growing a plant?

The Canadian example is WORKING. We're nowhere geographically near the USA so I dare say it has even more of a chance working here.

What would happen if WE mobilised? If instead of fighting in amongst ourselves over semantics we all recognised that we needed to UNITE and put egos aside just until this is solved. That's why the cops keep winning. They divide us. They single out individual stoners. Poor Joe Bloggs has done nothing in his life but planted a herb. Now he's arrested for trafficking by scary cops and threatened with all sorts of scary sounding stuff.

Where is his support people?

This man is very much a brother to people like you and I. If we take THAT attitude, we can't help but win.

Yes it's hard work. But how much longer to you want to sit paranoid in your smoke room, listening with baited breath to every sound. Hiding your plants like a dirty pedofile. Wondering when that knock on the door is going to come.

Because unless we stop it together, it more than likely WILL come. It may not be today. But it's coming.

FREE THE HERB

See what I mean people! There's some of us even now requiring help.

I say we'd need a minimum of 10 people per appearance. In suits, with placards. Behaving cordially.

You can still stay anonymous... Whoever is organising can give out the date and time and get commitment from folks. But it won't work if you SAY you'll come and don't show. That's just pathetic.

I'm gonna go to the HEMP embassy on Thursday and see if I can't get some ideas.