First Indoor Grow

Thanks pipeman...you're a fairly resourceful guy huh?? I like those tubs...I'd put one pump for each tub btw...that's just me but I'd like lots of air inside..you could grow some woppers in there man.. I'll go to bunnings today and have a look around for some buckets... I'm also going to use the powerhead as a recirculating pump for the nutrients...maybe once a day pump nute solution from control to other buckets..and other times leave running on timer to mix nute solution..

I don't know exactly how to create feminised seeds but if anyone could give me some ideas that would be good..I'm just following some directions I found in an old mj book I got off a friend years ago that I have a really good memory of..I reckon I'd be good if we're doing things slightly different anyhow..make it science uno??

I've got an opinion for u pipeman...you could try using smaller net pots and have two plants per tub...I reckon that'd rock..maybe two or three airstones in there too..four even...I like lots of air huh??

I bought a mini air compressor from a pet shop. I think it was 70L/second. I reckon it could easily run 6 buckets. I plan to use it to run 2 or 3. I'm not sure why, but the "compressors" seemed to be much cheaper and more powerful than the "air pumps". The one I bought has a fitting that allows you to connect up to 6 airlines to it, and runs real quiet.

Those net pots look bigger than they are. They are only 100mm. With that size box I could fit 6 in my flowering cupboard, which is more than I need anyway.

Yeah, those compressors are good. I want one...a bit more air than the ones i've got (about 20X) for the same price... at www.aquariumproducts.com.au.. I like their activated charcoal too... 1 kilo for about 10 bucks.

Ok, went to bunnings, they have the exact buckets I'm after for $8 for 20 ltr and $7 for 10 ltr. They are white with handle that are easy to remove and have nice rounded bottoms too. I'll get some of those next week and some mini 5ltr ones for veges...

btw bunnings have the perfect pipe for the old milk bottle bong...30ml clear vynl food grade pipe and 10ml vynnl fd grade pipe...the 30ml should fit over the top of a glass milk bottle...best bong I've ever choofed...

Hey Putard,

Selfing a clone is a lot harder than it sounds, and I'd say you'd have a one in a million chance of finding a pure female girl in a pack of seeds.

Its pretty complex shit to get into, Pure female seed can only be made with a very special plant.

Anyhoo, I know a bit about this shit so pm me if you wanna know more, or find the female to male thread in the seeds bit.

And don't worry about the holes in the bags, they don't need it, check out your nursery for this shit that is made to make pollen enclosures, it is with the shadecloth and makes the best bags, no need for windows.

anyhoo, thems gonna be some tall plants!!!

Hey Putard,

Selfing a clone is a lot harder than it sounds, and I'd say you'd have a one in a million chance of finding a pure female girl in a pack of seeds.

Its pretty complex shit to get into,  Pure female seed can only be made with a very special plant.

Anyhoo, I know a bit about this shit so pm me if you wanna know more, or find the female to male thread in the seeds bit.

And don't worry about the holes in the bags, they don't need it, check out your nursery for this shit that is made to make pollen enclosures, it is with the shadecloth and makes the best bags, no need for windows.

I assume the problem is that seeds from a hermie have a high probability of being hermie. Would you just keep backcrossing successive generations to the mum until you got seeds that produced predominantly pure females?

When you think about it, all the time, trouble and electricity cost in creating seeds isn't worth it. You may as well buy from a seedbank. Unless of course you found a special strain that you couldn't buy seeds to replace.

Hey Putard,

Its pretty complex shit to get into,  Pure female seed can only be made with a very special plant.

I assume the problem is that seeds from a hermie have a high probability of being hermie. Would you just keep backcrossing successive generations to the mum until you got seeds that produced predominantly pure females?

When you think about it, all the time, trouble and electricity cost in creating seeds isn't worth it. You may as well buy from a seedbank. Unless of course you found a special strain that you couldn't buy seeds to replace.

hermies have no place in any kind of breeding, Pure female seed is made from a very special plant that has no male genes,

Its a gene dominance thing sex, usually a female plant will have a dominant female gene and a recessive male gene, In stressful conditions recessive genes will come out and show, and this is why a plant goes hermy in stressful conditions.

Basically any plant that goes hermy has male genes, and self pollinated natural hermies will show the male gene as either hermies or males.

What you are looking for is a plant with no male genes, which can't produce hermy/male offspring when selfed, because it has no male genes.

Hey pipeman, I recently found a book on the web called Marijuana Botany by Robert Connell Clarke... perhaps you could read chapter three to get a better understanding of selfing....if found at www.johnnyreeferseed.com..

Here is why I think you are so confused dude...

If it were possible to know which seeds are female and which are male, marijuana growing would be even simpler than it is. There is not practical way to discern the gender of a seed - but there is a simpler procedure for producing seeds that will all grow into female plants.

And here is a resonable explanation of how it can be accomplished..

To produce female seeds, the plants are fertilised with pollen with male flowers that appear on a basically female plant. Such flowers appear on intersexes, reversed females, and hermaphrodites (see section 17). Female plants have an XX complement of sex chromosomes; therefore, the pollen from the male flowers that form on female plants can only carry an X chromosome. All seeds produced from flowers fertilised with this "female" pollen will thus have an XX pair of sex chromosomes, which is the female genotype.

Although the male Cannabis plant can produce female flowers, it cannot produce seed; so there is no chance of mistakenly producing seed on a male plant. It is possible to use pollen from an intersexual plant that is basically male (XY); the resulting crop of seeds will have the normal 1:1 ratio of males to females. For this reason, choose a plant that is distinctly female as a pollen source. A female plant with a few random male-flower clusters, or a female plant that has reversed sex are both good pollen sources. The seed bearer can be any female, female intersex, or reversed-female plant.

that's from The Marijuana Grower's Guide

by Mel Frank and Ed Rosenthal

I just checked my post box 10mins ago.... SEEDS HAVE ARRIVED!!!!! woooooohooooooo!!!!

ten beans of nirvana northern lights pure indica

fourteen beans of skunk #1 FREEBIE!

I'm the happiest man on the block!!!

nlpi beans are a fair bit more chunky than the skunks...

about half the nlpi are speckled with one or two strips there..rest are fairly plain tan/grey with minor speckle..biggest of the bunch is plain with two or three spots and what looks like some cracks or maybe just some extra colouring..

the skunks are all much smaller beans. two are really dark..one has stripes (almost like celtic tatto), one has minor speckles.. rest are light tan - gray looking... kewl . . couple have those white looking viens on them... skunk has a bit of skuff in the baggy.. nlpi is very clean looking..

whew!!! gotem half an hour ago...now I'll have to hide them until next week until I sort out those buckets...GROOVY!!