First Indoor Grow

G'day,

yep, this is my first serious attempt at an indoor grow..

After reading some posts by white cluster regarding DWC, I've decided to get some opinions about this...

I was going to go with some hot cocca coir and one of those new german drippers (they only drip when media is drying out). Now I've had second thoughts since I've heard that vege is a lot quicker in DWC...and since I've seen Ratdogs pics.. I got a simple first pic of what I thought DWC is all about... The only things I'm not sure about is how the valve and pump will work... I admit I know stuff all about this... about how to get the nuts in and circulating well...I need to build this cheaply and with the minimum of effort in setting it up...so it's easy to move around an stuff...

post-9-1048657598_thumb.jpg

I suppose that the biggest difference here is that there is no "net pot" to hang inside the larger bucket. Do you think it would work?? Seems much simpler than stuffing around with the net pots and stuff...I was going to use those cheapo plastic mop buckets from big w.. I hope it works...

putard

Hello,

Maybee if the clay is covered by a board cut to size for the top of the bucket and held in place by some wooden pins etc...

yeah, you could be correct there sols...I'm waiting on an order from some hydro shop somewhere...If I have any clay leftover I'll give it a try...I'm figuring it'll be about a month from now before I can put any seeds in... Just need to build a growroom (I'll post some pictures when I'm building it). I should post some designs here in the next couple of days as it's all in my head atm, it's taken me about a week to arrange it all.. I figured that I'd need approx 70-80 meters of timber to build it..(it's like a big fridge on wheels). Bunnings sell 19mm x 42mm timber at $1.00/meter.. that'll make 6 frames. Then shorter,thicker blocks will be bolted around the edges of the frame so the other frames can all bolt together..thinking of adding dowling between the bolt on blocks to make it easier to grab and move...whole thing comes apart to individual frames so moving it around will be hassle free ;) Going to put mylar mirror plastic inside... I will probably leave out the fans cause by the time it matters it will be middle of winter.. just leave holes in the 2ply board... It'll be about 1.8 meters tall and 1.15 meters wide...Hopefully that will be enough room for either scroging or soging..

One or two of the frames will need a couple of doors builtin...that will be a bit of a challenge.

600W silver wing son-T-plus

5 20ltr buckets + one control + res on top of grow room

yep was it right to get GH micro + GH bloom + GH grow?? I suppose I'll need all three (as 3 prt nut) cost me bit over $60...

and some Budlink Nutrient Additive is this the budlink silica that jackfrost likes? bit pricey at $30...got some anyway...;)..ouch

BTW...this is one of my favs at overgrow..

http://www.overgrow.com/article/12

Edited by Mr Putard

I will probably leave out the fans cause by the time it matters it will be middle of winter..

Fans are not just for cooling purposes, they are there for the supply of fresh air too, I strongly recommend that you fit the fans.

If cost is a factor, look into using second hand timber etc.

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif http://64.207.13.28/mysmilies/otn/glasses/smokin.gif

42x19 would make a very flimsy frame, unless you were using a decent wall/ceiling material to provide the strength like a 12mm plywood or 35mm MDF board (like what some solid doors are made from)

also if you're thinking of swinging that 600W Son-T off a couple pieces of 42x19 forget it!

hey pipeman...

It's pine...most cabinets and wardrobes are made of weaklier stuff??? Yep, the covering is 3mm thick and it sort of looks like pine but it's got different layers...1220x900 costs about $13 I think...I'll be using a fair bit of that...The frames will have corner supports as well as other internal pieces for scroging an stuff...

at least one frame will have 2 doors..other frames will have more supports between each corner (approx 2-4). Then I'll have to build around that for the fans...

the light will be support from approx 4 different points with 2 backups...I reckon it'll be stronger than many cupboards or wardrobes even... the only thing that concerns me now is that its not made of metal...but no way.. I'm not making this out of metal...

putard

Edited by Mr Putard

yeah man you've just got to watch how you build it. Cabinets can be made out of pretty flimsy material as long as things are joined together in a way that everything is bracing everything else if you know what I mean. but hey, if you build it, give it a bit of a shake and pull on your light supports and it all feels solid, then its good enough. post some pics/diagram if you can, some may have some suggestions.

OK,, I did it..I'm not even stoned or pissed...

designs aren't really a work of art but they should give a vague idea of how I will build it.. it's getting tough figuring out all the measurements and stuff so I'll write them all down and do the final calculations in two weeks - just before I put it all together and insert the lights and fans etc...

post-9-1048686000_thumb.jpg

I'd be lieing if I said I totally understood that diagram, but I don't like the looks of it. but hey, just my opinion and I'm no cabinetmaker, you may build it and find its great....

if it was me I would just buy sheets of plywood and screw them together. bang. simple. no need for frame at all. or why not pick up a second hand cabinet and modify to suit? that would probably be cheaper than buying the materials you would need to build your cabinet.