NEW Light Weight Carbon Filters

We really need someone to get and use for us...Maybe even cut one up so we can judge what exactly is there method

Are they supposed to have an ultra thin layer of activated carbon or what ? How do they do a job like a big carbon filter with shitloads of carbon in it... I can only see that the job would be sub standard to that of a Phat plus the shorter life span

if so I would be very interested in a flat product like this

because this is how you reactivate carbon:

"Reactivating carbon is a simple process where the spent carbon is thermally reactivated . Reactivation occurs a temperatures between 1400-1700°F"

I guess we have to agree to disagree. That could be the only method by which it can be reactivated but I was told differently by the guy who sold me the stuff. I didn't see his motivation to make something like that up so I believe him. Maybe its not total reactivation but good enough to be reused.

anyway the issue is irrelavent isn't it? Neither of us are recommending to people that they should try to reactivate their carbon. the point to this is that the filters are not reusable and therefore more expensive in the long run than the hard cased filters where you can just replace the carbon pellets. :peace:

We really need someone to get and use for us...Maybe even cut one up so we can judge what exactly is there method

Are they supposed to have an ultra thin layer of activated carbon or what ? How do they do a job like a big carbon filter with shitloads of carbon in it... I can only see that the job would be sub standard to that of a Phat plus the shorter life span

if so I would be very interested in a flat product like this

They use a carbon cloth instead of pellets. This is from their information sheet.

"So how do they work? Odor-Sok Air Filters are constructed using bundles of microscopic activated carbon filaments and fibres. By controlling fibre width to 20 nm, the kinetics (adsorption rate) of carbon cloth is similar to that of a single exposed carbon particle. Air flows evenly across the carbon and with accelerated kinetics (up to ID-2400) and increased surface area, Odor-Sok Air Filters retain all the properties of deep filter bed canisters. Faster adsorption rates means smaller filter equipment and up to thirty times less carbon in use for the same result over a one year period. That's how!"

As far as how good they are, we'll have to wait and get some real feedback. The last people to believe are the manufacturers of these types of things, they like to give loads of technical facts to make them sound better than they are. I sold loads of canister filters, manufacturer was claiming they'll last 3 years but I had people coming back after varying amounts of time, one only 9 months later, saying they aren't working as well anymore.

hey Taipan, great thread mate, still goin strong.

Just bought myself a 150mm Phatty 3 months ago - $155. If these odor sox were on the market then at $95 for a 150mm , I'd still buy the Phatty.

Can however see the weight/handling advantage of the odor sox. I'm no dickhead, but still had a lot of fuckin around hanging a fan/filter. I suppose it depends on ya personal situation.

I'd be interested to know however - re your comment of returned canisters before their time - what percentage, if any of these were Phat filters.

hey Taipan, great thread mate, still goin strong.

Just bought myself a 150mm Phatty 3 months ago - $155. If these odor sox were on the market then at $95 for a 150mm , I'd still buy the Phatty.

Can however see the weight/handling advantage of the odor sox. I'm no dickhead, but still had a lot of fuckin around hanging a fan/filter. I suppose it depends on ya personal situation.

I'd be interested to know however - re your comment of returned canisters before their time - what percentage, if any of these were Phat filters.

I mostly sold the Phat filter. I think the problem that caused them to stop working early in their life was from excess humidity. The carbon granules need to be dry to work properly. Definitely a good filter though, and most people were amazed at how well they worked. I can't quite remember pricing, but I am pretty sure $155 for a 150mm one is a very good price. Certainly can't argue with that.

There is more info on this site Odor Sok with a video of it's assembly etc. It looks pretty good. I have heard that one is being trialed in Aus at the moment, 14 months of heavy odor removal with no leaks. But as they have only been on the market for a short time it'll be a while before there is much more feedback.

i just purchased a can fan brand filter and matching RS 150 fan

heavy as but i got her hangin..

id be interesred to try an odorsok

runnin threw a 200mm inline from allvent

do u reckon that will provide enuff pull??

ill run it off me new vege cab to styfle the vege odours

thanks guys

top thread

bil

It looks like they reduce the air flow a lot less than a canister filter, so you will certainly still get a decent air flow. I'd say in a vege room you'd get a good long life out of it too as there wouldn't be a lot of odour to remove. The more odour going through activated carbon, the quicker it will become inactive.

Keep us updated with some feedback if you do get one.