NEW Light Weight Carbon Filters

Not meaning to spam or anything, I have nothing to do with this product myself but I had heard about it's development a while back and it's now available in Aus. I thought you may be interested. They are new out, carbon filters that come in a flat pack and only weigh 2kg. Cheaper to buy, cheaper to ship and easier to install. This is the product - Odor Sok and you can buy them in Aus from the distributor at Way To Grow

http://www.way2grow.com.au/images/products/groupodorsok.jpghttp://www.way2grow.com.au/images/products/openpackodorsok.jpghttp://www.way2grow.com.au/images/products/OdorSok.JPG

looks like a great product Taipan.

One thing I can't find on their websites is how long they last. Any idea?

On the brochure you can download from the information section of the Way To Grow website it says "up to 12 months protection" so I don't think you'd get as long a life as a canister filter, but there are also a lot of pluses going for them.

Sounds great, 30% less carbon and no need for a centrifugal fan. Has anyone used the AC units that generate negative ions. I'm wondering if I ran this in my room near the cupboard i'm growing in, would it cover odour and controll temps a bit better?

moKing

Negative ion generators are used to control odours, but it didn't take long to find out they do bugger all for the type of odour problems we have. A carbon filter of some type is about the only way to effectively remove odour. If installed correctly a good AC unit is definitely a plus for removing heat and humidity though.

I'll second that motion.

Should be interesting. They've been promising this for a while, but there had to be some testing as I understood it, under "real" conditions. :P

Great to see they'll become available. Keep in mind they also state there are a couple of other suppliers, (admittedly wholesalers) so waytogrow aren't the only ones who'll have em.

Great idea though, can't wait to try one. I only have (and need) a 150x300 filter for my room (single 600 with a cool tube) but even this is heavy and moderately bulky. These things look brilliant.

On the subject of alternative filters though, has anyone ever tried using a HEPA filter to run through? I know that you'd need a stupidly large (and probably prohibitively expensive) one, but afaik it should remove all particulates including odour? Not sure on that, but if it can be used to produce sterile air flow in a laminar flow cabinet then I'd think it could do a reasonable job... could be very wrong though... anyone? :P

so you need to buy a complete new filter every year or can you wash them for reuse?

if you need to buy a new one every year they are actually much more expensive to have than a standard filter where can just replace the carbon pellets.

They are no smaller than the hard case filters and I can't see the big advantage of being lightweight. ya need something solid in the ceiling to hang the light from anyway, so hanging a filter should'nt be a big hassle. :P