I bought my gear...

Guest Eikel

Went to the Hydro store today to prepare for the arrival of my seeds.

I purchased the following:

1 x 400W HID light and cover/balast etc.

1 x 400W HPS-Super light and cover/balast etc.

1 x Clone/Seedling tray (for the seed germination).

1 x Dutch Master Advance Parts A+B Grow Nutes (1litre each part)

1 x Dutch Master Advance Parts A+B Flower Nutes (1litre each part)

1 x Container of OxyPlus Sanitizer and Oxygenator (500ml)

1 x Container of Carbaryl Insect Spray (200ml)

1 x Pack of Growtek Vegatative Growth Booster (whats this for? another Nute?).

2 x Airstone thingies.

1 x Ultra Compact Air pump (capacity 3.5L).

1 x Heavy Duty Power timer (for the lights).

1 x Some tubing stuff for the airstones and pumps.

1 x Sack of perlite (50L)

1 x Sack of CoCo (30L)

I plan to head off to Bunnings on the weekend to purchase the wood and corkboard to build my grow-area (inside my garage) - I was originally going to do a cupboard grow, but the hoods for my lights are way to big to fit inside the cupboards.

Also, some measurements... If I want to grow 4 x female plants and get a reasonable harvest (at least 1 oz/plant) how big do I need to build my grow area(width, height depth)?

Now, did I forget anything? I plan on manually watering my plants twice a day, so no need for a watering system etc.

-- Eikel.

wowie that would have set u back a fair bit...

what strain/s are u getting? aiming for 1oz a plant isnt all that much, 1 plant in a wardrobe can yield that if grown well...im doing 3 in wardrobe now and hope to have atleast 2 preferably 3 ounces per plant, so im thinking with all that stuff u have, 4 plants and you'll have a yield of atleast 4 oz a plant...just seems like u have the money to get the best + with the advice and knowledge u get from these boards, its gonna a hell of a grow to watch :smoke

now as for a grow area, if u intend on using both 400watt lights, its gonna need to be fairly big, have a fair amount of ventilation and alot of stuff like that...i would be aiming for something like 6 feet wide x 6 feet deep x 6-7 feet high....that will give u a massive grow area capable of pulling really big harvests with the right grower and strain...

have a look at other grow threads on these boards and it will give u a basis to start designing your room, hope that helps, if not a weed genius like stonedas, luke skywalker or Tom will reply and give u pretty much everything u need to know :smoke

Yeah I've been reading the boards for about 6 months now, but the information is rather disorganized and it's hard to sift through and work out how to proceed (well, for me anyway - The mega-newbie).

All up that lot set me back around $630, I don't know if that's expensive or not (never bough Hydro stuff before).

My Grow-Plan Thread is Here if you'd like to see what I originally intended.

The strain I will first be trying is the Wonderberry x Apollo13 from mjOZ.

Thanks for your reply.

-- Eikel.

thats fairly expensive but thats hydro shop prices for ya :P

The strain I will first be trying is the Wonderberry x Apollo13 from mjOZ.

mmmm yummy :reallyexcited: will be good to see how it goes

Yeah I've been reading the boards for about 6 months now, but the information is rather disorganized and it's hard to sift through and work out how to proceed (well, for me anyway - The mega-newbie).

yeah i agree that its all over the place...so think ozstoners should make a book, a dvd and a cd-rom covering everything u need to know...but alas it would take too long, too much money and everything like that...my advice is to look through all the pinned topics and buy/download a few books about mj...1 i recommend for a newbie - experienced grower is the Marijuana Growers guide by Mel Frank and Ed Rosenthal....now since u just spent $630, read the book online and save yourself $40 :P Marijuana Growers Guide but it doesnt have pics so that makes it hard...i used to own the book so i just imagine the pics there :P but if i see the book again i would buy it up even if it meant no food for 4 days :) that will definately put u in the growing mood and help u out dramatically :thumbsup

After reading the book I got with my gear "Integral Hydroponics by G. Low" I have a few new questions about what I've gone and bought...

1. Since I plan on manually watering, should I keep a tank/barrel of still water and use the airstones in this?

2. At what stage do my plants start to give off the strong "weedy" odur? I plan on buying a carbon filter, but can't afford it for another month or so (due to the expense of what I've just purshed).

3. Should I run the HID and HPS-Super together through the whole grow? Or is it better to run the HID for veg and the HPS for flowering?

And again, thanks heaps for your reply Chronic - It's nice to have so many mentors to be able to ask stupid questions of.

-- Eikel.

The airstones are for airating the water in a hydro or DWC, you don't have to have a tank of airated water if you are going to hand water as this is done to make sure the roots get plenty of air when they live in a hydro setup.

You can use a bucket to set pH and mix in but you don't need to keep it filled and airated all the time.

2. At what stage do my plants start to give off the strong "weedy" odur? I plan on buying a carbon filter, but can't afford it for another month or so (due to the expense of what I've just purshed).

3. Should I run the HID and HPS-Super together through the whole grow? Or is it better to run the HID for veg and the HPS for flowering?

And again, thanks heaps for your reply Chronic - It's nice to have so many mentors to be able to ask stupid questions of.

-- Eikel.

some strains will smell a little in veg but it is not a noticble or a weed smell, the real odour comes in about week 3-4 depending on the strain

what kidn of HID is the seccond light MH or HPS ? should say on the ballast or you can tell buy turniugn it on if it's a orangy tinge light it's HPS if it's more like white colour then it's a metal hailade