Medical Access

merl1n

Question

A couple of months ago I asked my GP about obtaining cannabis to treat my ongoing symptoms.

"Ohh ahhh, I don't know anything about the processes, I wouldn't know where to start..."

Being that I'm in SA and there being no clinic's here (our state Gov't (Liberal) still have their heads buried firmly up their own arses)  I thought the whole process would be a waste of time

I went investigating and found a clinic in NSW, who would go through the whole process online.

So after a couple of weeks of paperwork both from myself and my GP, today I got the call from the clinic and have had the initial approval.

I now have to obtain the approval from the TGA but from what I've been told this should not be a problem and should take less than a week.

The Dr I spoke to has told me that what he would be prescribing is a CBD and THC combination as my situation is pain related.

I asked the Dr about the cost of the medication itself as it is NOT on the PBS and I have to say it is NOT cheap.

The Dr himself would not actually tell me a defined cost but advised me to call the chemist in Victoria.

Upon doing so I was told $270/50ml + postage ($30), so $300 delivered. First thought "Fuck, it'd be cheaper to go buy an ounce" but have decided to follow through with the process.

At this point I have not been told of the recommended dosages, so how long that 50ml is going to last I am unsure.

I am also unsure if I may be able to get my local chemist to get it in for me or whether it needs to come from an approved compounding chemist, solely in Victoria.

So the processes have been started. The dr and the prepaid TGA approvals have cost me $550 so far (that's without the script itself), so let's see how much more it's gonna cost

When I have any further info I will let you all know.

Just thought others maybe interested

Merl1n

• Upvote 7

Yes I understand mate. So was it good for you?

Sent from my iPad using OZ Stoners

So Far, yes. Was there an effect? Yes.  Let's see what tomorrow brings. A god damn awful hangover in the morning is not what I want/need either. But one single dose at a minimal amount does not equate to a trial. This will be a long run thing. I'm presently at a 1/2 dose, as per recommendations, and I'll build up from here. Then there's the long term results to be quantified, let's see. I'll have the perscibers calling fortnightly to gauge results but I'll also be keeping my own records as I had to do for the Pain Clinic medication monitoring, to be able to identify for myself any trends or common denominators with the pluses or minuses in the whole process.

As I say "Let's See"

• Upvote 1

So Far, yes. Was there an effect? Yes. Let's see what tomorrow brings. A god damn awful hangover in the morning is not what I want/need either.

But one single dose at a minimal amount does not equate to a trial. This will be a long run thing. I'm presently at a 1/2 dose, as per recommendations, and I'll build up from here. Then there's the long term results to be quantified, let's see. I'll have the perscibers calling fortnightly to gauge results but I'll also be keeping my own records as I had to do for the Pain Clinic medication monitoring, to be able to identify for myself any trends or common denominators with the pluses or minuses in the whole process.

As I say "Let's See"

Go Merlin, I hope you'll be able to cut back, if not maybe finish up on the pain killers , and get relief this way. Like you said it'll take a while to get the full effect as it needs to build up in your system over few weeks. Hope it's a success, for you, and your family.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

So Far, yes. Was there an effect? Yes.  Let's see what tomorrow brings. A god damn awful hangover in the morning is not what I want/need either. But one single dose at a minimal amount does not equate to a trial. This will be a long run thing. I'm presently at a 1/2 dose, as per recommendations, and I'll build up from here. Then there's the long term results to be quantified, let's see. I'll have the perscibers calling fortnightly to gauge results but I'll also be keeping my own records as I had to do for the Pain Clinic medication monitoring, to be able to identify for myself any trends or common denominators with the pluses or minuses in the whole process.

As I say "Let's See"

hey merl 

been keeping up with your trials & tribulations , thanks for putting up all this info 

very handy for all i would say , well done

the only cannabis your consuming is the brought stuff atm ?

how would you go producing your own medicine , without all the testing of cause 

based on that FW gary christian ( never trust a man with 2 first names lol ) from drug free oz 

your not sick , your just using this system to get high , what a lode of tish 

• Upvote 1

Hey InsideMan,

I too hope it helps. As I said previously even if it just assists me to reduce the pharmas that'll be a plus. Don't get me wrong here I am not expecting it to be a wonder drug, imo that would be expecting too much. No sense putting all my eggs in the one basket as they say, but I'll slowly increase the dose to a 'therapeutic dose' as recommended and see how it goes. It can't hurt (other than financially) to give it a try.

Hey R.C.,

"This has been really interesting and thanks for going through this process and detailing everything for us observers." And that's why I'm writing it all up here, so other's can know of the processes, the cost and (hopefully) the positive results of it all. If any of this can assist just one other person then that's a plus for all involved IMO. A bit of history of my 'plight', as you call it, can be found here for those wanting a bit of the backstory.  https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/59058-the-biggest-of-thanks/

Hey Itchy,

Yes, the only canna is the oil. I believe the only way to get a clear picture of it's benefits is to solely rely on the one source and to keep a documented record of how it all goes. I am still taking an opiate, PRN, when needed.

After using this stuff, I don't think there would be much issue in making my own. It tastes the same as mine, only mine sets solid, like toffee. Their, Aphira, the manufacturers, paperwork states that this concoction is made with medium-chain triglycerides (MCT) oil and that can be purchased from a health food store or chemist, so I can see a little bit of 'experimentation' coming up, making my own. The benefit of using MCT oil is that it doesn't set solid, so dosing it out would be easier. And yea, 'without all the testing' but just like with this concoction it'll all be case of trial and error to work out the appropriate dose of my 'homemade' medicine. 

As for '...your not sick , your just using this system to get high...'   That's a statement made by someone who has never had to manage chronic pain. The exact same thing could be said about using the pharma opiates to manage pain, even more so with the Endone they like to feed me up on. Christ I can get high as a kite on that shit. If these people making such statements ever want my pain I'm more than willing to hand it over, free of charge, but none of them ever seem willing to take it on. I don't want it either, so IMO, 'shut the fuck up', I'll manage all of this my way, the best way I can. It's not until you need to manage chronic pain that you have any great idea of the reality of it all. The individuals saying this shit have NEVER been here, they wouldn't have a clue. Prior to all of this, I must admit, I thought I knew about pain too. FFAARRKK did I get an education and a half, one I'd much rather not have had, but shit happens and here we are. If this oil assists then that's all I want.

• Upvote 1

Right then, so as of today we are at what is 'recommended' as a therapeutic dose, .5ml, 2 times a day.

The opiates have been cut from 2tabs 4 times a day to 2tabs once a day and things are travelling along not too bad

Still having a headache but the intensity has reduced and not so much the centre of my attention 24/7and that's a HUGE plus on it's own.

• Upvote 3

Right then, so as of today we are at what is 'recommended' as a therapeutic dose, .5ml, 2 times a day.

The opiates have been cut from 2tabs 4 times a day to 2tabs once a day and things are travelling along not too bad

Still having a headache but the intensity has reduced and not so much the centre of my attention 24/7and that's a HUGE plus on it's own.

Good to know, wait until you get to the 2-3 week mark, hope you'll be able to kick the opiates.

Good to know, wait until you get to the 2-3 week mark, hope you'll be able to kick the opiates.

Yea, so kicking the opiates completely is the ultimate plan. BUT, in saying that, I'm not adverse to just having a single dose opiate along with the oil to manage the pain. Im certainly not addicted to the opiates, I'm not having withdrawals or anything from not taking them, they are solely for pain management. Although some medicos do like to point to my use of the meds as a source of the ongoing pain, I've been down the addiction road before and know it all very well. Them trying to tell me all about addiction is bloody insulting and I do tend to get a bit anti with them when they try. But kicking them would be a HUGE plus.