Medical Access

merl1n

Question

A couple of months ago I asked my GP about obtaining cannabis to treat my ongoing symptoms.

"Ohh ahhh, I don't know anything about the processes, I wouldn't know where to start..."

Being that I'm in SA and there being no clinic's here (our state Gov't (Liberal) still have their heads buried firmly up their own arses)  I thought the whole process would be a waste of time

I went investigating and found a clinic in NSW, who would go through the whole process online.

So after a couple of weeks of paperwork both from myself and my GP, today I got the call from the clinic and have had the initial approval.

I now have to obtain the approval from the TGA but from what I've been told this should not be a problem and should take less than a week.

The Dr I spoke to has told me that what he would be prescribing is a CBD and THC combination as my situation is pain related.

I asked the Dr about the cost of the medication itself as it is NOT on the PBS and I have to say it is NOT cheap.

The Dr himself would not actually tell me a defined cost but advised me to call the chemist in Victoria.

Upon doing so I was told $270/50ml + postage ($30), so $300 delivered. First thought "Fuck, it'd be cheaper to go buy an ounce" but have decided to follow through with the process.

At this point I have not been told of the recommended dosages, so how long that 50ml is going to last I am unsure.

I am also unsure if I may be able to get my local chemist to get it in for me or whether it needs to come from an approved compounding chemist, solely in Victoria.

So the processes have been started. The dr and the prepaid TGA approvals have cost me $550 so far (that's without the script itself), so let's see how much more it's gonna cost

When I have any further info I will let you all know.

Just thought others maybe interested

Merl1n

• Upvote 7

Interesting it has an expiry date..

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

It won't matter, it'll all be gone before then lol PMSL lol

But:

Expiry dates

When medicines are manufactured, by law they have to be given an expiry date.

This is the date after which they are not expected to be as effective as they should.

Medicines lose their effectiveness over time because the chemicals in medicines can be broken down to inactive products by the effects of heat, light or oxygen.

They can also become dangerous due to a change in their chemical composition.

At worst, taking old medicines can be fatal if they’re for the treatment of serious conditions.Expiry dates can vary widely between different medicines and forms of medicine. For example dry tablets are likely to have a later expiry date than liquids.

From 

Edited by merl1n

Today was the 3rd doctor's review. Another $80

'Scientific analyses' going well.

GVM working much better for management of pain than the oil.

The oil can take hours to take full effect, but I can't say that at 2pm I'm going to be in agony. I need that instant effect that a vape or a cone gives. Even after building up a 'therapeutic dose' of the oil and maintaining it for 2 months I have seen a benefit in the reduction of opiates, but the headaches are still needing that single dose opiate.

The dr has advised me that there is now an Australian oil supplier available with a 25mg/ml THC and 25mg/ml CBD mix. BUT at $560 which is almost double the cost, so much for the idea that Oz suppliers would help to reduce the cost.

He also advised me that there is a 20:5 oil available from Canada at $330 (available online for $86 Canadian) so obviously there's a MASSIVE mark up.

So presently we'll maintain the Bedrocan script and see how things progress.

• Upvote 3

Hi everyone - I'm going to also post this in the politics and activism subforum, but thought I'd also add it in here - it's an invitation to make a public submission to a federal inquiry into accessing medicinal cannabis. My colleague Kate Seear wrote the below email letting me know about it, which I'm sharing with you all here, as many of you may have experiences you want to share with the committee:

Hi all,

As you might have heard the Commonwealth Senate is holding an inquiry, just announced, into access to medicinal cannabis. This is a growing and very important issue, in my view. I'm writing to bring it to your attention, because I believe you may work on issues that are relevant or related, to encourage you to tell others who might be interested in these issues and encourage you or your organisations to make a submission if you can. The terms of reference are here:

https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Community_Affairs/Medicinalcannabis

Submissions are due by 17th January 2020.

By way of background and for any who are not familiar, in recent years, cannabis has begun to be legalised for medicinal purposes across Australia. This change has come about in part because of emerging evidence detailing the benefits of medicinal cannabis for certain medical conditions. It may be of benefit for people living with conditions (such as arthritis and intractable seizures), ease the side effects of chemotherapy and radiotherapy, and it may even shrink cancerous tumours. Research is being done on these issues around the world, including at the Lambert Initiative (LI) at Sydney University. The LI was established by a wealthy family a few years ago, after their granddaughter was diagnosed with a serious medical condition (Dravert syndrome) that led to frequent, catastrophic, life threatening seizures. The Lamberts' son gave the granddaughter medicinal cannabis and the effects were seemingly miraculous, but the son was prosecuted. Evidently the grandparents felt this was a grave injustice, and this sparked their transformational donation. The LI seeks to establish proof of the benefits of medicinal cannabis so that it might become more readily available across Australia.

Medicinal cannabis is available in Victoria, but subject to a strict access scheme. Doctors can prescribe it, but under certain conditions. Importantly, however, the cost of medication is seemingly prohibitive for all but a few members of the community, meaning that although it is technically accessible it is practically not. This has resulted in some people deciding to cultivate their own medicinal cannabis, or to supply it to others on ‘compassionate’ grounds. Several individuals have been prosecuted for this, including parents, friends, carers and doctors. Recent high profile cases including the prosecution and sentencing of South Australian woman Jenny Hallam in November 2019 and the prosecution of Dr Andrew Katelaris in NSW in 2018. Katelaris represented himself and was acquitted.

There are some cases I am aware of with individuals with cancer (including late stage) also being prosecuted. 

On 14 November 2019, the Commonwealth Senate agreed to hold an urgent inquiry into access to medicinal cannabis in Australia, seemingly recognising that access issues were associated with some people breaking the law. 

If you are interested, I hope you might consider making a submission.

Kind regards

Kate

• Upvote 4

Well, today starts the journey for hubby here in Brisbane.

Merl has pioneered this so let's see if the cost has gone down since all this started and if the process has become easier at all.

Nurse consultation is $50 none refundable today via the phone.

$200 for the doctors consultation after that.

The pharmacy Merl has mentioned is not far from me but there is 1 closer.

I live within sight of Brisbane city cbd so let's see the difference between country and city and if they will charge $30 to send it out or if we can pick it up in person from the pharmacy.

Had to do a big online assessment that took about a half hour prior to being booked in for nurse consultation.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

thanks for the update,
would have thought that australian legislation would not approve for any decent amount of thc in a cbd product, things are certainly looking positive!

found this linked from a sponsor on https://friendlyaussiebuds.com/.
cbd 20mg/1ml oil : https://endotonix.com/product/pure-super-critical-co2-raw-cbd-cbda-oil-in-organic-mct-coconut-oil/

seem to be a company out of denmark/ hong kong that ship within australia  with auspost 

Today was the 3rd doctor's review. Another $80

'Scientific analyses' going well.

GVM working much better for management of pain than the oil.

The oil can take hours to take full effect, but I can't say that at 2pm I'm going to be in agony. I need that instant effect that a vape or a cone gives. Even after building up a 'therapeutic dose' of the oil and maintaining it for 2 months I have seen a benefit in the reduction of opiates, but the headaches are still needing that single dose opiate.

The dr has advised me that there is now an Australian oil supplier available with a 25mg/ml THC and 25mg/ml CBD mix. BUT at $560 which is almost double the cost, so much for the idea that Oz suppliers would help to reduce the cost.

He also advised me that there is a 20:5 oil available from Canada at $330 (available online for $86 Canadian) so obviously there's a MASSIVE mark up.

So presently we'll maintain the Bedrocan script and see how things progress.