The pro's and con's of COCCO

Thanks Tru, was a good read, makes me want to throw me coco away lol

haven't tried any sativa's in coco, except for me dodgy organic mix, seems to be working great, got me seedlings in the same mix as the 50l pots

all growing really good, can't see any problems yet anyway, will chuck a pic of the organic ones later today

All the best Bushy, hope ya don't get in to much shit

Then just stick with the soil mix then [emoji108] coco sucks I was told by sedgeone, I mean someone [emoji23] [emoji106]

https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/blog/553/entry-751-all-things-femme-spray-cs-glog/

• Upvote 1

I've been using it in my gardens for as long as I can remember

The top is determined by the root system,the bigger n healthier the root system is the bigger it will be on top

So,coco mixed with perlite n or vermiculite provides good conditions for this root growth,as well as airing the soil

Trust it's much easier to to get an old coco based plot back than it is to dig a patch that has been compacted over the yrs

I personally find it a great addition to any medium I'm preparing, veggies flower shrubs,n weed

Its much easier to carry bags of coco miles through the bush than it is soil

Personally, I think once u have the basics of growing down doesn't matter what medium u use u can make it work,again all depends on how much effort u r prepared to put in

You can't say coco is shit,have u used every brand ,good tradesmen don't blame their tools

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

• Upvote 1

Only reason I thought it was shit, used it once in me recirculating system inside, about 5 years ago, only time i followed advice, got told to run pump 15 mins on every 4 hours

should of left it on 24/7, like i normally would, was working away few days at a time, was a hot summer, they were to dry, was the worst result i've ever had, blamed the coco of-cause lol

did a few last year coco perlite, run to waste, didn't run to waste very often or very much, bit of a disaster, but still turned out pretty good

this year i decided to run to waste properly, seems to be working good, there is a lot of wasted ferty lol, plants are looking good  

what i'm most happy about is the organic coco mix i made, was going to use peatmoss, to hard to get enough of it without paying to much

so i thought use coco instead, working shit hot so far, if the little sativa's grow good, i'll start growing all me outside pots like it,

not sure what i'll do inside over winter, it will either be Areo(easier to keep them warm), have a break, or try the sativas in organic cocco.

its like a new toy, still learning how to make it work, will keep having a play till i'm happy with the results, and can repeat them  

Halfway through the article advises on watering practices. http://www.canna.com.au/problem_solving_coco If you continue reading, it goes on to explain about soft water, light feedings, and cal-mag.

My water supply is .2ec. I need a total minimum of 1.4ec to avoid deficiencies.......generally speaking (Canna coco AB). During much of summer, this is too much for some of my sativas.

Increasing my water supply from .2ec to .4ec with the help of cal mag will let me add less base nutes without issue. Maybe once a month for a couple of feeds seems to work for my grow season.

My water reads 0.0 on my ec meter and pH 5.7 out of the tap. I use seaweed extract, molasses and canna coco a+b.

My water reads 0.0 on my ec meter and pH 5.7 out of the tap. I use seaweed extract, molasses and canna coco a+b.

Hi Louise,

I’ve not tried molasses. Do you drench with it throughout the grow?

Spraying silica/yucca foliar s recently. Trying to keep the foliage cleaner and pests at bay. Seems to be working for now.:)

Are you on rain tanks for water like that?

The CEC in Coco means it tends to hold onto Calcium & Magnesium. The Buffered Coco has been treated with Tricaderma & Cal Mag before you get it.

As long as your water is 0.2 E.C. or higher you shouldn't need any Cal/Mag. IF you use RO water then you will need to use it.

I'm still not convinced Canna or any other's buffer the Coco enough, or if it is then just barely.

I will use Cal/Mag and Seasol and light Nute's when first flushing the Coco from brand new.

The Cheap shit Brick Coco or any unbuffered Coco requires Cal/Mag solution, and a lot of flushing to get rid of salts.

Running a mix of Coco and Worm Castings, I've found using slightly higher P.H. works best 5.8 to 6.0

Just never let it dry out, never flush with just water, flood when feeding with runoff, screen the Pots for Gnats and you will have no issues.

One of the only negatives of using Coco compared to soil is the Expense of Nute's and wastage from run off.

Edited by buzzo
  • Upvote 1