Building a $6,000 High-pressure Aeroponic system that doesn't

BoomTune

." ….The cheapest way is to dig a hole, buy a container, water proof it and bury the container..."

Ya want to be careful burying shipping containers, they don't have the structural integrity in the walls/roof to hold the weight of the soil back. Their strength is in their corners for stacking

post-24238-0-37058000-1543649574_thumb.png

post-24238-0-04011200-1543649622_thumb.jpg

post-24238-0-91351500-1543649654_thumb.jpg

They need to be reinforced either with an internal subframe or an external buffer.

post-24238-0-98635100-1543649682_thumb.jpg

So DO NOT simply buy a container and bury the damn thing, it ain't quite that simple.

Merl1n

• Upvote 2

Ya want to be careful burying shipping containers, they don't have the structural integrity in the walls/roof to hold the weight of the soil back. Their strength is in their corners for stacking

attachicon.gifShipping container 4.jpg.png

attachicon.gifShipping container 3.jpg

attachicon.gifShipping container 1.jpg

They need to be reinforced either with an internal subframe or an external buffer.

attachicon.gifShipping container 2.jpg

So DO NOT simply buy a container and bury the damn thing, it ain't quite that simple.

Merl1n

As I said  buy a container and bury it. I didn't say it was simple thing to do this though. Structural considerations have to be considered, the same as building in any other building material.

Did I not address the structural side when I wrote, "The structural integrity needed when you cover the bunker with soil, which has to account for wet and dry soil?  Intake, outlet vents and entrance, plus the stealth needed to hide them."

I also said I consider the whole thing pie in the sky, but then I just saw a flock of pigs fly by.

I spose you did, but in using wording of bunker and shipping container in the same post some may interpret this as simply doable, when it ain't.

Another suggestion that is doable for those inclined to go under ground is by using a concrete box culvert.

They are reinforced concrete. Designed to be buried. And can take the weight.

They are much safer for a bunker than a shipping container.

Merl1n

Edited by merl1n

I spose you did, but in using wording of bunker and shipping container in the same post some may interpret this as simply doable, when it ain't.

Another suggestion that is doable for those inclined to go under ground is by using a concrete box culvert.

They are reinforced concrete. Designed to be buried. And can take the weight.

They are much safer for a bunker than a shipping container.

Merl1n

Merl1n I'm not trying to pick a fight with you. I'm simply pointing out the absurdity of the whole idea. In fact I call BULLSHIT on the whole idea.

In the sentence I quoted from my reply, "The structural integrity needed when you cover the bunker with soil, which has to account for wet and dry soil?  Intake, outlet vents and entrance, plus the stealth needed to hide them.", you will notice 2 types of soil referred too.

You have probably held a ball(or any other sealed container) under water. What happens to the ball when released? Obviously it pops to the surface, it is sealed and can't equalise water pressure. The same can be said of a sealed bunker(container), add enough water to the soil to saturate the soil and the bunker becomes a boat and pops to the surface. Consider a fuel tank at the servo. There is a lot of engineering and costs that goes into making sure the tank never pops to the surface. I've worked on them, they have to be anchored, back filled properly and then a surface is placed over them to channel water away from the soil to keep said soil in a stable and controllable state. Empty swimming pools can do the same.

At one stage he talked of MDF to build his bunker, I can't be bothered to check, please correct me if I am wrong. I mean FFS, he has NO idea.

All in all the problems are not insurmountable, but how much money is this guy prepared to throw at the problem? A bigger question is how many people is he prepared to involve in this project?

Thus I call bullshit to the whole idea.

Hey look I'm not trying to pick a fight neither, not at all

BUT we have a number of non-members browsing ere too and if young "Johnno" reads this and thinks "Fark yeaa I can do that..." What I'm sayin is "Ahhh… ...Don't even bother" or "Here's a better or another option"

We have in the past had a few YDC's (Young dumb Kunts) follow some real stupid ideas 'cos someone mentioned it here, then comeback going "Ohh but I saw, so I did and BANG.." Blaming us cos they saw it here.

I've found it's better to simply go "DON'T DO THAT" and say why not, rather than perpetuate bad ideas. Hence the photos of buried containers damaged by the soil weight. Ahh don't do that.

But then if you want to go underground then, here's another option, a safer option.

Merl1n

Edited by merl1n
  • Upvote 2

Cool I'm with you Merl1n, I did say it wasn't reasonable because the reasons I put in my post. He has no understanding of the engineering problems involved.

You kindly explained the first of Structural Support, I on the other hand rather savagely explained the principle of Buoyancy. A container and a concrete structure buried can both be considered a bunker. He can do either with the right amount of know how and money. Until he has both, he should forget the idea.

If I offended anyone, I apologise profusely. 

• Upvote 1