Outdoor Grow - Jack Herer (Fem) & Blue Power (Fem)

Just a little update

4915d0ca3dc9435d9c1427543b4a7c53.jpg

The soil has been “cooking” like this for about 5 days now. Can’t really imagine it’s cooked that much considering it’s been ridiculously cold down here and raining. I was planning on opening it up this weekend and giving it a mix through.

But my question is, when you guys who do this do it, how long do you usually let the soil heat up like this before bagging it up and storing it?

Cheers

BB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a little update

4915d0ca3dc9435d9c1427543b4a7c53.jpg

The soil has been “cooking” like this for about 5 days now. Can’t really imagine it’s cooked that much considering it’s been ridiculously cold down here and raining. I was planning on opening it up this weekend and giving it a mix through.

But my question is, when you guys who do this do it, how long do you usually let the soil heat up like this before bagging it up and storing it?

Cheers

BB

no heat but moisture is important , not that heat this time of year is bad or should cause you any probs 

too much moisture & it can go funky on ya when stored , not enough moisture & it won't activate for you 

the old hard squeeze a hand full of soil to see only one or two drops of water drip out , is about where ya wanna be 

to store in barrels 

if ya gonna give it a mix up & you can be bothered , add 1-2% bokashi & mix it in , this will help the nutrient cycle kick

along a bit 

have you had a look under the tarp since covering , after a week or so ( a lill weather dependent of cause ) you might start to see a white fur forming 

the fur can get quite full on when you help it along & cover it as you can see in one of my earthboxes 

post-50689-0-64770600-1532598395_thumb.jpg

no heat but moisture is important , not that heat this time of year is bad or should cause you any probs

too much moisture & it can go funky on ya when stored , not enough moisture & it won't activate for you

the old hard squeeze a hand full of soil to see only one or two drops of water drip out , is about where ya wanna be

to store in barrels

if ya gonna give it a mix up & you can be bothered , add 1-2% bokashi & mix it in , this will help the nutrient cycle kick

along a bit

have you had a look under the tarp since covering , after a week or so ( a lill weather dependent of cause ) you might start to see a white fur forming

the fur can get quite full on when you help it along & cover it as you can see in one of my earthboxes

attachicon.gif018.JPG

Thank you soo much for this info!!

I’ll have to do a squeeze test this weekend!

I plan on storing them in nylon bags for the time being.

I haven’t looked under the tarp yet, is that white fur good or bad? Should I be encouraging it? What is it?

Cheers

BB

Also, what is Bokashi?

I’ve googled it and it looks like a compost bin...

correct bokashi composting 

which uses bokashi grains in a bokashi bin or bucket 

the grains work by fermenting the waste / compost which will help it break down faster 

the white fur is a good thing , a bacterial mycelium in this case , can look the same as a fungal mycelium but with using bokashi it'll be bacterial 

the mycelium will consume the non plant available food in the soil & deliver plant available nutrients to the root system of a plant , if there's a plant growing in it of cause  

https://www.ebay.com.au/i/123245266563?chn=ps

Bokashi One Mix is made here in Australia using a mixture of wheat bran and rice husks that have been sprayed with a group of micro-organism

that exist freely in nature. Bokashi One Mix is dried thoroughly so it can be stored for years with no loss of effectiveness. The dry ingredients in the

mix are simply a carrier and food source for the micro-organisms which are dormant when dry in the packaging and activate again when added to

your waste. Bokashi One Mix ferments the waste in the Bokashi One™ Bucket, eliminating unpleasant odours. When the waste is buried in the soil,

the mix accelerates the breakdown of the waste and adds life and nutrients to the soil.

bokashi is inoculated with a group of 15 organisms in EM-1 http://www.livingapartment.com.au/Products/Food-Supplements-Health-Care/Probiotic-Living-Beneficial-Micro-Organisms-1Ltr

which you can use in liquid form to water or foliar spray ya plants , like using great white mycorrhizae at transplant , your adding beneficial microbes to the soil or on the leaves of plants

bunings sell bokashi but not the brand above & you can make your own  

i use second hand barrels to store soil mixes in cause i'm trying not to get my soil infested with gnats B4 i use it , like bagged soil sitting out at bunnings 

the soil will have plenty of time to get infested with gnats once it's in the pot , rather not start with gnats , gnats will always be there but so will the rest of the 

soil food web predators to help keep them in check 

• Upvote 1

correct bokashi composting

which uses bokashi grains in a bokashi bin or bucket

the grains work by fermenting the waste / compost which will help it break down faster

the white fur is a good thing , a bacterial mycelium in this case , can look the same as a fungal mycelium but with using bokashi it'll be bacterial

the mycelium will consume the non plant available food in the soil & deliver plant available nutrients to the root system of a plant , if there's a plant growing in it of cause

https://www.ebay.com.au/i/123245266563?chn=ps

Bokashi One Mix is made here in Australia using a mixture of wheat bran and rice husks that have been sprayed with a group of micro-organism

that exist freely in nature. Bokashi One Mix is dried thoroughly so it can be stored for years with no loss of effectiveness. The dry ingredients in the

mix are simply a carrier and food source for the micro-organisms which are dormant when dry in the packaging and activate again when added to

your waste. Bokashi One Mix ferments the waste in the Bokashi One[emoji769] Bucket, eliminating unpleasant odours. When the waste is buried in the soil,

the mix accelerates the breakdown of the waste and adds life and nutrients to the soil.

bokashi is inoculated with a group of 15 organisms in EM-1 http://www.livingapartment.com.au/Products/Food-Supplements-Health-Care/Probiotic-Living-Beneficial-Micro-Organisms-1Ltr

which you can use in liquid form to water or foliar spray ya plants , like using great white mycorrhizae at transplant , your adding beneficial microbes to the soil or on the leaves of plants

bunings sell bokashi but not the brand above & you can make your own

i use second hand barrels to store soil mixes in cause i'm trying not to get my soil infested with gnats B4 i use it , like bagged soil sitting out at bunnings

the soil will have plenty of time to get infested with gnats once it's in the pot , rather not start with gnats , gnats will always be there but so will the rest of the

soil food web predators to help keep them in check

You’re a wealth of knowledge itchy! Thank you

Looks like I might need to get myself a bokashi system! Probably won’t have the juice in time to mix it with my soil though. So I guess I’ll just check the moisture with a squeeze of the soil and work from there.

Cheers Itchy

• Upvote 1

if by juice you mean the EM-1 liquid you don't need it if you have the bokashi grains to mix in 

they are the same thing , the bokashi grains are inoculated with EM-1 , once the dry bokashi grains get wet 

the EM-1 organisms wake up & go to work 

you don't have to do any of that , just good to know it's possible to inoculate your soil pretty cheaply & the flow on effect

that has 

• Upvote 1

if by juice you mean the EM-1 liquid you don't need it if you have the bokashi grains to mix in

they are the same thing , the bokashi grains are inoculated with EM-1 , once the dry bokashi grains get wet

the EM-1 organisms wake up & go to work

you don't have to do any of that , just good to know it's possible to inoculate your soil pretty cheaply & the flow on effect

that has

Oh wow! That’s even easier!!

I have actually been looking for a good small compact compost bin, so I might look deeper into the bokashi system and will add it to my soil next year. For this year I’ll see where I can get the grains from and if I can get them quickly enough will add it to my mixture.

You’re a legend itchy! Thanks again

• Upvote 2

G day all

Opened up the soil today and the entire top layer had grown fur

79b1b09f3fe2b63cde30ce2386f32924.jpg

Here is a closer look

cdc0257481bbeca7fcb45fae2528e714.jpg

b1c2e0546b2610b96940d37c168de5dd.jpg

Ive turned the soil, mixed the fur in throughout the entire pile and covered it up for another week. I did this because I have azomite and bokashi grains coming this week that I’d like to mix through before I bag it up (hopefully next weekend)

Cheers

BB