First Time Grower - Outdoors, Vic

Ouch bud, nasty! Looks like something is having a lovely feed. Have you had a close look to id the culprit? Underside of the leaves? Droppings/poo? Eggs?

I'm assuming the white powdery stuff is the tomato dust. If it's caterpillars try Yates Caterpillar Killer (Dipel, BT). It's natural, safe and works. Pretty sure most tomato dust products aren't bee friendly etc.

• Upvote 1

Ouch bud, nasty! Looks like something is having a lovely feed. Have you had a close look to id the culprit? Underside of the leaves? Droppings/poo? Eggs?

I'm assuming the white powdery stuff is the tomato dust. If it's caterpillars try Yates Caterpillar Killer (Dipel, BT). It's natural, safe and works. Pretty sure most tomato dust products aren't bee friendly etc.

Hi Missrachel,

Yeah real nasty, I am pretty positive it’s flea beetles that’s doing all the damage.

I’ve used an insecticide but I think I over did it, and burnt most of the growth off [emoji17]

The only thing I use is the hose, give them a squirt they soon fuck off, or wait for something else to eat whatever it is.

Hi Pedro

I tried watering them off, but within one day that had decimated almost half of every plants new growth, I panicked a little and went over board with the pesticide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looks like mould, try the vegie dust from woolies/coles

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/856314/yates-tomato-veg-dust

don't use this once it is budding tho only in veg

I also use chamomile tea as fungicide and insecticide

i use 5 chamomile tea bags and 500ml boiled water, once the tea has cooled down to room temp i put it in spray bottle and spray the plants (can also use it to spray the soil or seedling pots when starting out to prevent dampening off) 

ideally i wouldn't use anything at all when it's budding but if you must then the chamomile tea is the safest i think

looks like mould, try the vegie dust from woolies/coles

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/856314/yates-tomato-veg-dust

don't use this once it is budding tho only in veg

I also use chamomile tea as fungicide and insecticide

i use 5 chamomile tea bags and 500ml boiled water, once the tea has cooled down to room temp i put it in spray bottle and spray the plants (can also use it to spray the soil or seedling pots when starting out to prevent dampening off)

ideally i wouldn't use anything at all when it's budding but if you must then the chamomile tea is the safest i think

Thank you for those options!!

Just quickly, what do you think is mound? Can you please point it out in the photos so I know what to look out for?

I love the chamomile option! That’s super easy and no chemicals which is nice

when i first saw your pics i thought it was covered in powdery mildew but i see you already tried the tomato dust? did it get wet while lots of dust was on it? looks weird - i would wash some of it off so that it doesn't block photosynthesis or cause some other problem?

after a closer look at your other pics and the whole post you may be right about it being insects - the chamomile and veggie dust should help with either - the other "natural" remedy i use for insects is tobacco smoke - if you smoke, have your cigarette around your plants and leave the butt to smoulder near your plant (not if it's too dry and will start a fire obviously - water them first maybe) 

also a small jar lid filled with cheap vegetable oil will attract the bugs and then they drown because they cant get out - just empty it and refill with fresh oil every few days. I start putting the oil lid very close to the plants if there have been bugs on them then move it a little further away so bugs get attracted away from plants 

when i first saw your pics i thought it was covered in powdery mildew but i see you already tried the tomato dust? did it get wet while lots of dust was on it? looks weird - i would wash some of it off so that it doesn't block photosynthesis or cause some other problem?

after a closer look at your other pics and the whole post you may be right about it being insects - the chamomile and veggie dust should help with either - the other "natural" remedy i use for insects is tobacco smoke - if you smoke, have your cigarette around your plants and leave the butt to smoulder near your plant (not if it's too dry and will start a fire obviously - water them first maybe)

also a small jar lid filled with cheap vegetable oil will attract the bugs and then they drown because they cant get out - just empty it and refill with fresh oil every few days. I start putting the oil lid very close to the plants if there have been bugs on them then move it a little further away so bugs get attracted away from plants

Hi

Thank you soo much for your advice! I really appreciate you taking the time to post it.

Yes i have watered the dust off already because I was afraid that was also contributing to the chemical burn.

I think I’ll try the vegetable oil too and see how that goes

Thank you soo much

BB