IR lining in grow room

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2017-03-10-21-48-04

The old shitbox lights are producing the goods, in week 4 at the moment

Mc, Good to see they are producing some fine buds, all we were getting at was old gear is like an old used car eventually they let u down but this one may be like a blown tire and the globe goes out or it may be spectacular light show when the house burns down, the school obviously would have had the complete lights assessed by a electrician who would have advised they are past due for replacement hence they took there opportunity to go with new LED lights

when i started out my very first hydroponic system was a used flood and drain table with a used 400w HPS in a chinaman hat back in the 1990's that's all i could afford it cost from memory $350, the control box was a orange model and actually looked to be in good nick on the outside, i ended up setting everything up and plugged it in than left home and went out i came back the next day to find the light was turned off, the control box had caught fire, the old wire fuse in the fuse box melted, black soot shit everywhere all over the place all over the reflector it was just a night mare but glad it didn't burn down the house because i had place the control box on a brick, the ignitor or capacitor was plastic and the bolt on the front of the control box had melted off and fallen lucky it was fire proof plastic so it only melted but didn't sustain a small fire had it done so it would have burnt the carpet than the wooden floor boards and no doubt the whole house!

later on some time passed and i decided to upgrade i purchased another used light i was young in my teen years thought the above and this process, i upgraded to a 1000w HPS Euro Ballast as i was running it after around 10 hours of operation the control box made a very loud irritating humm it was more of a high pitch hum like u ofter heat street lights doing any longer than 10mins in with the girls and your ears were hurting

second hand gear is ok if its off a friend who has owned it since new but buying second hand electrical gear from people u don't know or old shagged out gear is just a disaster waiting to happen as i have had first hand experience

if u must use old gear make sure the ballast has a built in replaceable fuse or install one

safety first mate its a bit like hanging a 10kg $4000 LED light into a plaster roof without securing it to the beams

• Upvote 1

Mc, Good to see they are producing some fine buds, all we were getting at was old gear is like an old used car eventually they let u down but this one may be like a blown tire and the globe goes out or it may be spectacular light show when the house burns down, the school obviously would have had the complete lights assessed by a electrician who would have advised they are past due for replacement hence they took there opportunity to go with new LED lights

when i started out my very first hydroponic system was a used flood and drain table with a used 400w HPS in a chinaman hat back in the 1990's that's all i could afford it cost from memory $350, the control box was a orange model and actually looked to be in good nick on the outside, i ended up setting everything up and plugged it in than left home and went out i came back the next day to find the light was turned off, the control box had caught fire, the old wire fuse in the fuse box melted, black soot shit everywhere all over the place all over the reflector it was just a night mare but glad it didn't burn down the house because i had place the control box on a brick, the ignitor or capacitor was plastic and the bolt on the front of the control box had melted off and fallen lucky it was fire proof plastic so it only melted but didn't sustain a small fire had it done so it would have burnt the carpet than the wooden floor boards and no doubt the whole house!

later on some time passed and i decided to upgrade i purchased another used light i was young in my teen years thought the above and this process, i upgraded to a 1000w HPS Euro Ballast as i was running it after around 10 hours of operation the control box made a very loud irritating humm it was more of a high pitch hum like u ofter heat street lights doing any longer than 10mins in with the girls and your ears were hurting

second hand gear is ok if its off a friend who has owned it since new but buying second hand electrical gear from people u don't know or old shagged out gear is just a disaster waiting to happen as i have had first hand experience

if u must use old gear make sure the ballast has a built in replaceable fuse or install one

safety first mate its a bit like hanging a 10kg $4000 LED light into a plaster roof without securing it to the beams

Im hearin ya mate lol.

Got an led company might be givin me a couple of led grow lights to test and review ob social media etc so the ol hps will get put into storage or gifted to someone startin off.

I've bought 4 2nd hand HPS ballasts, 2 were old, noisy, and ran very hot, and ended up binned, but the other 2 are still in use and working perfectly, so it's not always a bad idea.  But with new mag ballasts as cheap as they are now, there's not a lot of sense getting used ones.  Never use used globes though, drop the coin on good ones like Son t's etc, and replace them yearly.

• Upvote 1

I've bought 4 2nd hand HPS ballasts, 2 were old, noisy, and ran very hot, and ended up binned, but the other 2 are still in use and working perfectly, so it's not always a bad idea. But with new mag ballasts as cheap as they are now, there's not a lot of sense getting used ones. Never use used globes though, drop the coin on good ones like Son t's etc, and replace them yearly.

Yeah its a bit of pot luck, am goin to a 1600w led with remote etc for flower tent, 700w led for veg tent and a 240w led in a germ tent..

Also wanna do a couple of side by side grows with same genetics, just to see..