Help save my plants! Overwatering or Nitrogen excess or something

Hey, I was gone for 3.5 days and came home to dying plants! I drenched the plants on Thursday night to make sure they'd have water available (which I regret). On Wednesday I use white oil to rid some bugs off the plants. At this point they were looking very healthy and going much better than my first failed grow. Now they are wilting, leaves are curling (down mostly), some leaves are browning at the edges, leaves seem a darker green than usual, the base of the stem has tan spots on it and seems weak. New small leaves have shrivelled up. 

I treated them with hydrogen peroxide to help them get oxygen as I suspected the cause was overwatering and humidity. I provided the usual seasol nutrients this morning. They seem to have worsened since Monday night (its now Wednesday).

Please advise, it's so hard to let go

Outdoor
Growing Medium: Soil/pot
Growing Style: in Greenhouse
Watering/Feeding Frequency: water every 2 days/nutrients once a week
Nutrient Strength (PPM/EC): Seasol complete...
PH Levels: haven't measured
Temperature/Humidity Levels: Temps have been high 20s on average, i think humidity was an issue
Air Flow/Fans etc.: greenhouse door left unzipped
Growth Stage: Veg
Plants Age: 1 month
Cannabis Strain: Durban Poison

post-59505-0-93270400-1479853378_thumb.jpg

post-59505-0-38412200-1479853394_thumb.jpg

post-59505-0-88597800-1479853401_thumb.jpg

post-59505-0-63959200-1479853407_thumb.jpg

post-59505-0-06640600-1479853413_thumb.jpg

post-59505-0-04694100-1479853419_thumb.jpg

could be a fungus infection.

can be from the soil or infected pots.

are you using the same soil or pots as the other failed grow?

or high humidity and poor circulation'

your air circulation, temps and humidity in the greenhouse dont sound too good.

have a look at this page and see if your plants have the same symptoms.

http://www.growweedeasy.com/cannabis-root-problems

Edited by slicker1

I agree with SE, does have the look of being in the sun after spraying, a lot of the time with deficiencies or root rot there's more of a consistent pattern to the visible damage in one way or another, yours look fairly randomly splotchy.

I'm gonna go out on a fairly safe limb and say your using shitty potting mix and canna doesn't seem to like a lot of potting mixes.  Do a bit of research on soil mixes, or go hydroponic, as the root zone is one of the most critical parts of the plant, get it right there, and the plants will reward you, get it wrong and they won't.  Lost count of the number of new members coming on the site with shitty looking stunted plants sitting in pots of overwatered potting mix.  If you really want to go potting mix, get something like Searles Premium potting mix, and amend it with good quality (not Brunnings) coco and perlite, simple and seems to work well.

In NSW, at this time of year, they need to be out in the open rather than a greenhouse, they're big enough to take direct sunlight and will love it.  Do that and let the pots get mostly dried out before watering again, and relax for a week or 2 and they should bounce back, but they'll have a much better chance in decent lightweight soil that drains well.

• Upvote 1

No I only sprayed them with white oil around dusk, but I think I won't use that anymore to control thrips.

Thanks for the link Slicker...I scoured that website but hadn't come across that page yet. I'm using different pots from the first fail. These ones have plenty of drainage holes at the bottom but I guess it is the shitty potting mix that you guys suspected. I'll take them out of the greenhouse too.

Thanks for all the advice and help Ozstoners! 

Questions:

1. Any products you recommend to treat the root rot?

2. Can I remove the two plants and change the soil in the pots without causing too much trauma to them, especially in their current condition?

.  "If you really want to go potting mix, get something like Searles Premium potting mix, and amend it with good quality (not Brunnings) coco and perlite, simple and seems to work well."

Slightly off-track but wondering what's the matter with Brunnings (peat moss was it)?  and my bet is on the dying plant is the hydrogen peroxide ".. for oxygen"?!!!

Edited by sunshineoldfeller

No I only sprayed them with white oil around dusk, but I think I won't use that anymore to control thrips.

Thanks for the link Slicker...I scoured that website but hadn't come across that page yet. I'm using different pots from the first fail. These ones have plenty of drainage holes at the bottom but I guess it is the shitty potting mix that you guys suspected. I'll take them out of the greenhouse too.

Thanks for all the advice and help Ozstoners! 

Questions:

1. Any products you recommend to treat the root rot?

2. Can I remove the two plants and change the soil in the pots without causing too much trauma to them, especially in their current condition?

1 - I used Fongarid I think it was called.  But don't unless you actually have root rot.  If you have it, the roots will have a slimy appearance that will come off if you rub your finger on it, and will have a bit of a manky smell instead of that nice fresh root smell.

2 - Yes you can, but use thought and care.  If they are rootbound it's probably best to just pot them up into something better, if not, a bucket of warm water and a gentle touch, but don't try to get all of it out.

My suggested mix is okay, but I would encourage you to search out good soil mixes as they will be better.

.  "If you really want to go potting mix, get something like Searles Premium potting mix, and amend it with good quality (not Brunnings) coco and perlite, simple and seems to work well."

Slightly off-track but wondering what's the matter with Brunnings (peat moss was it)?  and my bet is on the dying plant is the hydrogen peroxide ".. for oxygen"?!!!

I was referring to the coco coir bricks they sell of that brand at Bunnings.  There's a tute on the site about cleaning and prepping those bricks to make them good enough to use with canna, but they just aren't of a high standard and don't seem to agree with canna too well.  For an extra few dollars you can buy good quality bags or bricks of pre buffered coco which works well straight out of the bag.

• Upvote 1

Update: I replaced the soil mix to a local nursery's mix + perlite. I washed the roots off as per advice from someone working at the nursery, to check/help get rid of root rot. Root rot did not seem like an issue. My friend believes the plants were poisoned. I think it might have an an issue of nitrogen toxicity or deficiency or something. The plants have taken to the new soil and are slowly recovering. Many of the old leaves yellowed and browned so I pruned the ones that were completely done for. New growth looks promising, there are a good amount of new small leaves.

One of the plants is experiencing yellowing between the veins and slight browning on its new growth, which leads me to believe its a boron deficiency. I'm feeding nutrients at a lower strength to ease the plant back into good health. Sometimes hope is all you have.

I'm going to save my last two seeds for next outdoor season because I feel like its a bit late and I won't be around in April.