Compact Fluorescents

hey pete,

I wouldn't rely on advise from Bunnings staff, most of them have a very poor knowledge of their product range.

I'm pretty sure those $40 fittings are the portable hand held fixtures with a plastic guard on them like mechanics use. What you need is just a plain old lamp fitting/chord. Go have a look in a lighting store or even the lighting section at bunnings, they should be around $10.

8 would be better, a mixture of cool white and warm white, some commercial lighting suppliers sell 75w and 150w HPS lights which would be far better.

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif http://64.207.13.28/mysmilies/otn/glasses/smokin.gif

Hey all i was wondering if you could help me out while im trying to start growing.

I worked out the price of all the stuff i need is $60

Tell me if i missed anything or you have any ideas or tips about it :

Anyone who's growing with CFs can you give me some hints? :)

The Prices are Estimates besides a few.

My Grow list: :D

2 Compact fluro lights –40W ,2500 lumen-substitute for light-$20

1 small fan –For ventilation and stimulation of stem-$5

2 screw in light sockets-For CF lights-$15

1 small cabinet,aprox size.1m in height, 50cm width. –growbox-$10

1 Arlec quickset timer- for 12 hours light,12 hours dark. -$10

Total : $60.00

Peace out. OzSmoker

Edited by ozsmoker

Hey all i was wondering if you could help me out while im trying to start growing.

I worked out the price of all the stuff i need is $60

Tell me if i missed anything or you have any ideas or tips about it :

Anyone who's growing with CFs can you give me some hints? :D

The Prices are Estimates besides a few.

My Grow list: :)

2 Compact fluro lights –40W ,2500 lumen-substitute for light-$20

1 small fan –For ventilation and stimulation of stem-$5

2 screw in light sockets-For CF lights-$15

1 small cabinet,aprox size.1m in height, 50cm width. –growbox-$10

1 Arlec quickset timer- for 12 hours light,12 hours dark. -$10

Total : $60.00 

Peace out. OzSmoker

what about pots & soil? and possibly nutes...some of those prices, espcecially the cabinet sounds cheap, you'll be doing well if you get it for those prices.

could work, remember you need an extraction fan to cool your cupboard as well as a fan for air circulation inside.

but seriously, you may yield something, but if you're a regular smoker I don't think it will keep you in supply. A good HID light will make a world of difference.

Although once I get my grows pumping along OK I'm going to experiment with fluoro growing from start to finish just out of curiosity.

Guest Field_of_Light

Hey all I have a fluro...which I use to promote growth of my clones but alas it does not seme to be doing the job compared to the 40 watt light bulb I used to use in a normal lamp........

My question is....do fluros have a particular length of their life?

I might try using one of the energy saving globes...you can get them at bunnings...4 for 20$...but finally they are getting to be cheaper everywhere.........

I went and cheaked in my local K-mart for compact fluros and there highest one was a 20W at $7 ea, how many should i need for one plant and how do i hang them over my plants? And i dont have any sockets with plug cords to screw the lights into? and i have no electrical knowledge so i cant take it apart and make it with wires and a plug. im going to be growing in a a little closet roughly 1 metre in hight 1 metre in width.

Any suggestions and comments from CF growers or anyone would be greatly appreaciated. :D

Ozsmoker.