What's some soil to use from Bunnings?

Hey Itchy, back on pg #35. You had a soil mix, how much of the castings would need to be added , Where can I get crab meal etc in Vic ,

for 1.5 cubic foot of soil 

14lt castings /compost 

14lt SPM ( peat ) 

14lt air =11lt 7mm scoria , 3lt rice hulls ( forgot to add , you get rice hulls at the brew shop )

added amendments 

3/4 cup each of neem , kelp , gypsum & crab = liming & chitin

keep in mind you get chitinase enzyme from Malted Barley

so you can sub crab liming for oyster shell liming 

1.5 cups ground malted barley 

7.5 cups basalt rock dust 

9.0 cups activated bio-char ,

you can activate the char by mixing it in with the castings ahead of time & let sit for a week or 2 

or make a compost tea or make a mix of gogo juice , add the char to either liquid , strain & ya done 

as far as i can find you can't get crab shell in oz apart from going to your local 

fish shop & asking them to keep the crab shells for ya

i got mine on amazon form the US , if you want to order that way just keep an eye

on crab shell meal they can get pretty cheap , i think you can get root riot plugs or something

similar through amazon / US cheaper than the root it plugs on oz ebay , last time i looked anyway 

not the best way to go ordering overseas , prob won't do it again unless some super cheap price 

• Upvote 1

amazon.com is a-ok.

I buy growing supplies from them all the time.

Keep on ordering itchybro.... you get good stuff.

Carn

Don't disagree just have to keep one eye on price & the other on exchange rate 

i have no prob buying OS just think why haven't we got our own industry , we consume 

enough sea food i would have thought 

we should have fish waste composted & bagged so we can buy , crab shell meal shrimp shell meal 

products from waste is & has been done many times over & not always a good thing 

these guys are making waste into $$$ http://munash.com.au/retail-garden/revitalize/revitalize-overview/,

made of green waste & food scrapes , has organic cert which doesn't always mean that much sometimes

but it's all you got most of the time , green waste compost from the council is a little dangerous i reckon considering

it mostly comes from peoples backyards so what these guys are do'in is pretty cool possibly , if there taking green waste

from peoples backyards , cleaning it up & removing the nasties then composting it , i'd give it a go as a soil mix with peat & air 

phytotoxic free, nutrient rich, purely organic compost. does not contain any pine 

bark, sand, plant fibres or fillers. Revitalize is a chemical free product that is totally natural, safe and organic 

Thankyou Itchy ,very helpful, Going to prep a spot for next year and will try to follow that recipe,

Shouldn't be to hard to source the right ingredients.

Onya buddy

no worries mate 

i used castings in my mix but would use compost because worms love to eat it 

so let the worms make castings in the pot or plot , if the worms are there then

the soil mites come & rollie pollies , centipedes ect , more soil life the better

should have no prob getting that stuff round the place , animal feed supplies 

have lots of garden products not sold as garden products but as animal feed

the naming of stuff is the other prob you can run into like , kelp meal = look for 

dried seaweed meal or feed , i use vitec.com.au for kelp 

kelp for horses , oyster shell for chickens , alfalfa = lucerne in oz , neem meal = neem cake

& just be carefull with feeds they can have extras added like molasses to kelp , just get the raw

so you have more control that way

basalt rock dust is one of those products that seems to always turn up with extra's , the No Frills

rock dust , i think that's what it's branded as , has 17 ingredients including basalt , munash

has 4 or 5 diff ingredients , weatherworks.com.au have basalt rock dust , if you use them don't

be shocked to be told to organize your own courier = pack & send , it's just how they do it  

good luck with it mate , this mix has no need to cook , so to speak , you could plant in it straight

after mixing if you wanted 2 , i make small batches to fill a barrel , that happens over a week

or so which means the mix sits for about 2 weeks B4 use 

Oh & buy yourself some soap nuts , there cheap & you can use them for saponins = bug spray on there own

or emulsifier for neem & other oils & if you get a bale of peat it will be dry , you'll need to hydrate it & soap nuts / saponins 

are perfect for that , of cause aloe has saponins as well as a bunch of other things , if you have a aloe plant = can't get cheaper than that 

8kg kelp meal $68                  delivered 

5kg neem cake $30                      "

25kg nts gypsum $40                   "

10kg basalt rock dust $55            "

6lts biochar  $30                           "

1kg malted barley $7                   "    ( gets cheaper as you buy more )

5 pound crab meal $50               " 

250lts lithuanian peat moss $40 + delivery 

1 cubic m , 7mm scoria  $70       +    " 

Hey itchy.... $30 for 10lts Bio-Char Delivered free :) http://greenmanchar.com.au/