What's some soil to use from Bunnings?

If you don't want to go through all the hard work of mixing up the soil and composting it for months you could go through Organic Gardening Solutions and buy their super soil mix for I think $130 delivered. Should make up about 75L once all mixed. But of course you'd get a lot more if you mixed it up yourself for maybe a bit cheaper liter for liter.

i like what these guys are trying to do but not good to start bizz with , sorry , BS imho

Coots compost = nothing like what coot use's , just trying to cash in using his name without consent i assume 

they , i think , are trying to be the Oz version of https://buildasoil.com/collections/all which is really cool but this

guy spends an amazing amount of time on source checking to make sure what he says is organic , is organic 

i wouldn't use a mix with blood & bone , & would ask there source of this cos i very much dout it's organically produced

guano is very much a waste of money , plenty of cheaper alternatives , he say's flav = sulfur i agree but gypsum is cheaper

i hope they can get past having exotic ingredients & start looking local & make it cheaper ,

but i do like the direction there trying to head & wish them all the best 

• Upvote 1

i like what these guys are trying to do but not good to start bizz with , sorry , BS imho

Coots compost = nothing like what coot use's , just trying to cash in using his name without consent i assume 

they , i think , are trying to be the Oz version of https://buildasoil.com/collections/all which is really cool but this

guy spends an amazing amount of time on source checking to make sure what he says is organic , is organic 

i wouldn't use a mix with blood & bone , & would ask there source of this cos i very much dout it's organically produced

guano is very much a waste of money , plenty of cheaper alternatives , he say's flav = sulfur i agree but gypsum is cheaper

i hope they can get past having exotic ingredients & start looking local & make it cheaper ,

but i do like the direction there trying to head & wish them all the best 

The Blood & Bone concerns are valid for sure but from what I've seen out of OGS they do source local as much as possible so it's possible. The use of the coots name is a bit controversial as well but the results I've seen from it are pretty impressive.

The Blood & Bone concerns are valid for sure but from what I've seen out of OGS they do source local as much as possible so it's possible. The use of the coots name is a bit controversial as well but the results I've seen from it are pretty impressive.

I'm sure there soil does really well , be interesting to see some test results of produce or canna produced in this mix

do they have a any soil tests on there mixes ?

the prob here is ethics , if your prepared to use someones name without there consent to make money then what else

dose your ethics ok you to do 

plus the price is well up there , i just did a quick run though of what stuff costs me for my soil mix 

8kg kelp meal $68                  delivered 

5kg neem cake $30                      "

25kg nts gypsum $40                   "

10kg basalt rock dust $55            "

6lts biochar  $30                           "

1kg malted barley $7                   "    ( gets cheaper as you buy more )

5 pound crab meal $50               " 

250lts lithuanian peat moss $40 + delivery 

1 cubic m , 7mm scoria  $70       +    " 

the only other thing is castings or compost , both can be made at home 

otherwise i've seen castings @ $12 fo 20lts per bag & also @ $20 for 15lts per bag

& if there sourcing local then you should expect it to be a little cheaper i would have thought 

it's a tough gig & allot of work involved so i don't expect them to be at bunnings prices 

we should always be happy to pay more for quality & quality assurance

good is not cheap 

cheap is not good 

• Upvote 1

Bought a 25L bag of the 'Scotts Osmocote Seed Raising and cutting mix'

well I like this new one for a start.

I mixed it up with perlite and potted up a heap of plants.

Texture is nice n soft like coco and peat.

scotts seed raising and cutting mix is alrite.

It is really soft and light, even after you mix it w/ perlite and water it something about it seems nicer than other soils.

So long as nothing dies or gets any form of nutrient lockout I will continue to use it instead

$11 a 25Litre bag is not too bad of a price either.

On the bag it says it has some osmocote in there, some coir and sphagnum peat , wetting agent and water crystals ... not bad

Will let you guys know in a week or 2 if its all good.

Always good to find out about something new to add to the list of A-OK.

Carn

Bought a 25L bag of the 'Scotts Osmocote Seed Raising and cutting mix'

well I like this new one for a start.

I mixed it up with perlite and potted up a heap of plants.

Texture is nice n soft like coco and peat.

scotts seed raising and cutting mix is alrite.

It is really soft and light, even after you mix it w/ perlite and water it something about it seems nicer than other soils.

So long as nothing dies or gets any form of nutrient lockout I will continue to use it instead

$11 a 25Litre bag is not too bad of a price either.

On the bag it says it has some osmocote in there, some coir and sphagnum peat , wetting agent and water crystals ... not bad

Will let you guys know in a week or 2 if its all good.

Always good to find out about something new to add to the list of A-OK.

Carn

i wouldn't buy any scotts products 

buying scots supports Monsanto / Bayer / Round up 

these guys are runnin round buying up canna related bizz

they now own Gavita & couple of nutrient companies , Botanicare is one

they want in on the canna bizz , GMO canna anyone 

just a personal thought , each to there own 

slow release ferts & water crystals are just not needed in a living soil 

90% of what a plant takes up in nature is directly related to soil microorganisms

peeing & pooing while consuming organic matter & each other , plants rely on these guys , 90%

if your a book reader , Teaming With Microbes is a good one to have a look at 

what's happening under your feet & you'll find a free PDF round the place 

the same guy has done Teaming With Nutrients & a new one out in Jan17

Teaming With Fungi 

If not much of a reader then have a read of this , not that long of a read but the info is solid 

https://buildasoil.com/pages/the-complete-system

i've read teaming with microbes and teaming with nutrients etc

i still think the scotts potting mix soil is real nice for small pots.

I've only just tried it for the first time last night.

I don't give a shit about supporting monsanto

the soil is safe, passes aus standards, has no pgr's in it that are harmful in any way

I cant see the problem in it.

Has a maximum of 6 weeks ferts in it for a new seed or cutting, thats all.

yea the consistency is real nice.

So I added organics to it. I love teaming with microbes and teaming with nutrients.

I've added mykos, even threw seaweed and fish emulsion in there.

Can't read anywhere in the world any literature saying I cant have an organic culture inside a pot I poured perlite/scotts seed raising and cutting mix into.

Theres no chlorine or chloramine in it. 

I mean seriously.

Carn

slow release ferts & water crystals are just not needed in a living soil 

90% of what a plant takes up in nature is directly related to soil microorganisms

peeing & pooing while consuming organic matter & each other , plants rely on these guys , 90%

90% of what they eat is broken down vegetation.

plants don't need animal waste. 

Veganics is better than organics.

scotts seed raising and cutting mix doesnt have slow release ferts.

just a little mineral osmocote that feeds seeds or cuts for up to 6 weeks tops.

Water crystals dont stop myco from doing its job either.

Just a bonus in my book.

I think what you mean is it's not a real 100% nature without man made products setup.

however the man made products in there have zero impact on stopping an organic/veganic setup from beginning in the medium.

Dude you gotta not go on like that so much.

I'm testing a product and you gunned it down 2 weeks before I could post any results to it.

Then you told me to read a couple of books I've read and given to a dozen other members on the site.

One day you'll get it.

Carn