Question

Hi everyone,

My partner has been diagnosed with terminal skin cancer and I want to procure some Rick Simpson Oil. It seems the only way to do this is to make it yourself. I'm keen to speak with anyone who's had any experience making the stuff - I'm nervous about doing it myself for numerous reasons. I've read the threads on this site that talk about it, but I have other questions:

1) Regarding ventilation...what's proper? I have a bathroom with fan and a large window - is that OK? (I don't really have access to an open space that wouldn't raise suspicions.)

2) The exact solvent to use -

http://www.jaycar.com.au/p/NA1066#1

Is this OK?

Other questions, too!

Thanks for any help.

Lid off, the vapours need somewhere to go.

Unless you're on a tight schedule just leave it on low.  It will still all evap off, just take a bit longer, which also gives the THC longer to decarb.  By separate decarb I meant on top of what would occur simply through using heat to evaporate the iso off.  For now I would recommend just going with what happens during the process, as it's my understanding that your partner is not a seasoned user of cannabis, so erring on the side of slightly less decarbing will make it easier for her to start off on it, and if she gets to the point of having a good tolerance built up by the time this lot runs out you could look to decarbing your buds before making the oil next time to get a more thoroughly decarbed oil.

You do know not to start her on the full dose straight up don't you?  Getting stoned she may well enjoy a lot, but eating a massive dose 1st time up could give her a very long and scary green out, which could make her reluctant to ever go near it again.

• Upvote 1

Hi PSH/ Thanks Merlin,

Yes, I'm aware that we need to be careful with dosage, but I'll be extra careful now - thanks.

Part of the process for making RSO is using a coffee warmer. Is there something else I could use? I looked everywhere today and couldn't find one, except online.

Cheers,

Hi guys,

Well, I've basically finished making the oil. I've included a picture here. I'm just wondering how I can be certain that all the solvent has evaporated?

Yesterday I got news that my partner's cancer has spread to several bones throughout her body. :(

Hopefully this oil will do some magic.

Thanks for any assistance.

post-58134-0-14116200-1462614850_thumb.jpg

Edited by Goodstuff512

Hi guys,

Well, I've basically finished making the oil. I've included a picture here. I'm just wondering how I can be certain that all the solvent has evaporated?

Yesterday I got news that my partner's cancer has spread to several bones throughout her body. :(

Sorry to hear about this. Hopefully the medicine will do its job! :good:

• Upvote 1

Hi guys,

The one way i know of is to freeze it if it takes for ever to freeze it still has some alc left, if the oil is still runny after 10min in the freezer it not quite done

• Upvote 1

Here's what I do Goodstuff.

Iso boils @ 82.6C

Water boils @ 100C

When heating the iso the temp will not raise above 82.6 until all of the iso has gone.

So that the oil doesn't burn, Just before all of the iso has evaporated I add a teaspoon of water. This allows any other impurities to be purged from the mix up to 100C

You do not want to be smoking iso, so you need to get rid of it all. The teaspoon of water ensures all of the iso is gone and once the thermometer reaches 100 all the water has gone too.

My oil sets like toffee once cooled.

Hope it helps

Merl1n

• Upvote 2

I'd go with Merl1n's technique, mines pretty crude as I'll put a little dab on something and wave a lighter over it, if it bubbles and spits and catches fire too easy I keep cooking, if not I'll whack a dab in the vape and have a couple of little tokes to make absolutely sure I can't taste any iso, and it's easy to tell through a vape but not so sure with burning.  But before doing any of that I'll stick my head over the bowl for a sniff (start with a tiny one) to make sure I can't smell any iso.

I also like to chuck the oil in the freezer when I reckon it's done, and then put it back on the double boiler again for a while after as that seems to help purge the last little bit.

• Upvote 1