Question

Hi everyone,

My partner has been diagnosed with terminal skin cancer and I want to procure some Rick Simpson Oil. It seems the only way to do this is to make it yourself. I'm keen to speak with anyone who's had any experience making the stuff - I'm nervous about doing it myself for numerous reasons. I've read the threads on this site that talk about it, but I have other questions:

1) Regarding ventilation...what's proper? I have a bathroom with fan and a large window - is that OK? (I don't really have access to an open space that wouldn't raise suspicions.)

2) The exact solvent to use -

http://www.jaycar.com.au/p/NA1066#1

Is this OK?

Other questions, too!

Thanks for any help.

Is there a window in the laundry? If there is you would be better off putting a piece of MDF over the window. I would have a hole 8" in the MDF with a wall plate that you can attach ducting to. I would be taking fresh air in from near the screen door. You don't want the exhaust fumes going back in the laundry.

• Upvote 1

Thanks a lot for your help guys.

I'm actually a bit worried about something. The instructions I have for RSO say that the oil should never get above 140 degrees ©. I just did a test and filled my rice cooker with water. When I set the cooker to high and left it for ten minutes, I checked and it was 150 degrees. Do I need to continually monitor the solvent and flip between the high temp setting and low? Can I leave my cooking thermometer in the solvent while it's cooking?

Cheers.

Either put it on low and leave it there, assuming that doesn't get too hot, or fill the cooker with water and sit a bowl in it like a double boiler as the water cannot exceed 100 degrees.  So long as the temp is over 70 something, I think, the alcohol will boil off.  But you definitely do need to keep the temp below 140

I imagine it would be okay to leave the cooking thermo in, but I'm not certain.

• Upvote 1

Thanks PSH,

I think it was showing 150 degrees F - thought that was a bit strange, since the boiling temp of water is 100 degrees C! The boiling temp of isopropyl alcohol is only 82.6 degrees C, so I guess it's a matter of monitoring when the alcohol has almost evaporated and changing to the low setting at that point.

I'm almost ready to begin. Looking at proceeding either today or tomorrow...

Hi Ozzy420,

The problem here is that the temperature is too low for decarboxylation of THCA to THC. I think I need to have it high until it's mostly evaporated, then drop to low:

http://greenstyleconsulting.com/decarboxylate/

I my self dont like using high heat ie for me anything over 30-35c is high heat.

Using the rice cooker imo just use the lower setting, it may take a lil longer to do but less chance of over heating it and destroying the lot of it...

Hi Ozzy420,

The problem here is that the temperature is too low for decarboxylation of THCA to THC. I think I need to have it high until it's mostly evaporated, then drop to low:

http://greenstyleconsulting.com/decarboxylate/

Low heat will becarb it just takes longer.

Bud will naturally decarb over time adding the heat helps speed up the process...

Yep, I would have thought the heat required to evaporate the iso would go a very long way to decarbing.  It's a long time since I read the Rick Simpson method, but I don't remember any specific requirement for separate decarbing.  In fact I'm not even sure if one form or the other of THC is better for fighting cancer, but would be interested to know if that's been researched and found out as it should be defined if there is a difference.

• Upvote 1

Hi PSH,

Rick Simpson doesn't say anything about temperatures, but he does say to use a high heat setting and when there is little ISO left the rice cooker should automatically switch to low. I'm going to monitor it and switch it to low myself. I'm not sure what you mean about separate decarbing? Sites that I've read say THCA to THC decarb needs to occur.

Should I leave the lid on the rice cooker while the ISO is evaporating?

Cheers.

Yep, I would have thought the heat required to evaporate the iso would go a very long way to decarbing.  It's a long time since I read the Rick Simpson method, but I don't remember any specific requirement for separate decarbing.  In fact I'm not even sure if one form or the other of THC is better for fighting cancer, but would be interested to know if that's been researched and found out as it should be defined if there is a difference.