Seedling death ... unknown cause

Last night my newest lot of seedlings were starting to emerge, so i put them with my two week olds, but overnight one of them has died, and the other 3 look a little sick - the two first leaves have started drying and crinkling inwards, one of them hasnt bloomed his first two leaves yet, and they other seems to have simply snapped.... heres a few photos taken last night

This one is the one which is now dead/snapped off, but she was happy and healthy last night

IMG_6546.JPG

here she is this morning

IMG_6560.jpg

Heres one from Last night

IMG_6557.JPG

This morning

IMG_6568.jpg

None of my others had their two first leaves dry and crinkle like this so im guessing since of of them died, whatever effected it, has effected this one, but im sure this one ius savable?

Last night

IMG_6551.jpg

This Morning it seems to have formed a light brown dried casing which is preventing the two leaves to open

IMG_6570.jpg

Standard Rockwool soaked in plain water

60W CFL under a photography softbox for reflection

a Tiny trace of root assister (seasol) with feeds, only fed twice

temp under softbox 32 degrees

Rockwool PH 6

My other two havent been effected which have been in the same conditions

IMG_6562.JPG

blonde they look ok to me, the stuff that is holding the two round leaf's together u can gently pick it off with your nails just make sure u dont uproot the seedling or snap it in half

here is an ideal way of getting to correct amount of water in your rockwool for seedlings or clones

once u soak your rockwool take the rockwool cube and hold it in one hand and pretend your bowling a cricket ball and flick the excess water off u only need to do this 2 times and it'll give u a good idea on a properly water cube of rockwool

• Upvote 1

That is the actual seed shell holding the leaves together easily flicked off.

Also to me you have your rock wool cube upside down, or i have been doing it wrong for 20 years

Next suggestion is that you stay away from them every second day, ur probably killing them with kindness.

and over watering is a common beginner mistake, also i would start feeding them weak nutes from the stage ur last 2 pics, starting at maybe .5 EC

good luck

Edited by spider_b

Cheers for the suggestions, i flicked the seed case off and they have been growing like champs :)

I actually did do the flick of the rockwool but i have also been watering them everyday which im

guessing is not required,

Iv layed off the watering, and have just been allowing the rockwool to dry out a bit.

Although today i noticed on one of the seedlings the cotyledon leaf tip is turning brown and drying out - Im guessing perhaps to

much of the seasol has affected it, so im trying no nutrients for a few days and see how it goes. Does it look like Nutrient burn, or rot?

IMG_6554.JPG

That is the actual seed shell holding the leaves together easily flicked off.

Also to me you have your rock wool cube upside down, or i have been doing it wrong for 20 years

Next suggestion is that you stay away from them every second day, ur probably killing them with kindness.

and over watering is a common beginner mistake, also i would start feeding them weak nutes from the stage ur last 2 pics, starting at maybe .5 EC

good luck

Hahaha yea i put the rockwool upside down, as when i had it the other way due to the large center hole in the rockwool the roots only had 2cm of actual area to grow in length before having to become having to twist, turn and tangle in itself, where as upside down the roots have the full 5cm of area, plus the oxygen/air seems to be doing the roots well, and they are growing straight instead of all mangled and having the weight of the plant sitting on them.

rockwool.jpg

How did it break in half? WTF.

It was pretty much dead and already snapped, but i moved it over slightly to show how the stem/tube was hollow. Im still unsure how that one died, but i just grow that strain in my next lot. I got 5 on the go anyway so its all ok.

Tonight is the 1st night for seedlings in their new pots, aswell as under a 300w LED light instead of the compact flash light, as the long pots dont allow them to fit under the photography softbox, and its to late for me to be setting up stuff now.

besides that one seedling with the damaged tip, heres the other seedlings which look like they are a nice healthy green?

IMG_6571.JPG

IMG_6567.JPG

First night under LED, havent set up the pots yet, but will be putting square holes in one of the XXL Plastic tub lids, cover the base in black contact, put aluminum foil on top to reflect as much light as possible.... hard to explain....

IMG_6578.JPG