Mongolated Cheese seedling

Got an underperforming seedling that's looking messed up and mongolated.  She's Royal Cheese feminised by Royal Queen seeds, and about 1 week old.  Compared to a couple of other seedlings germinated at the same time, it's got the same number of sets of leaves, but as you can see in the pic the leaves are very small and warped.  Repotted from a small plastic cup into the 100mm pot it's now in yesterday, and the roots are developing quite nicely. 

post-49871-0-75780100-1371286660_thumb.jpg

Just wondering if anyone else has had seedlings go like this, and if so, do they pull through ok or just go nowhere?  Got the seed as a freebie, and never really felt the desire to buy cheese seeds, but now that I have one it would be nice to grow it out to see if it lives up to the hype.  Seedlings have always been a bit of a weak point for me (lost count of how many I've killed over the years), so any advice would be appreciated.

I would tend to agree with you Nibbler, but the reason I repotted was that there were a couple of roots poking out the bottom of the cup, having said that it wasn't root bound and could have probably been left for another 2-3 days.  I still would have expected to see more growth up top for the amount of root development though.  I sprouted it on a whim, along with a couple of regular skunk seeds in my quest for pollen collecting.  The skunk seedlings are on their 3rd set of much larger leaves, and have pretty much the same level of root development.  It came out of the seed like this, and has stayed alive but stunted since.

I would tend to agree with you Nibbler, but the reason I repotted was that there were a couple of roots poking out the bottom of the cup, having said that it wasn't root bound and could have probably been left for another 2-3 days.  I still would have expected to see more growth up top for the amount of root development though.  I sprouted it on a whim, along with a couple of regular skunk seeds in my quest for pollen collecting.  The skunk seedlings are on their 3rd set of much larger leaves, and have pretty much the same level of root development.  It came out of the seed like this, and has stayed alive but stunted since.

You can let the roots bind up till they fillthe whole cup if ya like, always the main ones will leave the pot... if you have water under them.... take water away, let light around pot sides.. hey presto... no stray roots =) One or two poking out the cup doesnt mean its full of roots yet.

Usually stunting is a sign of Lockout, or Bogging them down in too big a pot, they come back once problem is corrected, just costs extra time.... i done it a few times... lol

Peace. Nibbler

This one came out of the seed runty and messed up, and has had pretty much exactly the same treatment as another germinated at the same time, except the repot was a few days later on this one.  Still has exactly the same number of sets of leaves, just way smaller.  I'm gonna mark it as solved and put it down to just being the runt of the litter or something like that :) .  Having said that, over the last couple of days she's suddenly gotten her act together and started to come to life, so should be good.  Pic to show improvement, and the 2nd is a comparison with another seed (different strain) cracked at the same time.

post-49871-0-23893500-1371913078_thumb.jpg  post-49871-0-26007500-1371913093_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Whatever you do, DONT ditch it. Every time I get a runt, it end up being a monster great plant.

No way I would ditch it, even if she turns out to be poor curiosity has got the better of me, I like the little round fat fingered leaves.  Plan is to get her established and cut a couple of clones for the upcoming outdoor season, the strain is supposed to grow quite large outside.  I have just changed both the seedlings in the last pics over to recirculated in perlite, so hopefully they will survive having their roots washed out and a change of medium.  I really should get my act together and start up a grow diary, but I just haven't been organised enough yet, should get around to it soon.