Newbie Scrog

Just a general enquiry, I have been looking at sog / scrog growing for a little while, and am rather intriuged at the yield / space that these kind of techniques utilize. I am yet to set up a hydro setup myself and would love to, however I have been told by a fellow grower / mate that I would be better off under the circumstances I am under to setup a one / two pot plant under light grow. This is a good idea as I am totally new, am yet to have my own house etc. I was just wondering however, could you use a couple of pot plants and train them to fill a screen? Or do non - hydro setups not have the speed of grow / ability to change nutes etc as fast to make a screen worthwhile? Also for a newbie, would a pot plant setup using lights give a bettter yield thatn a screen?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Maynard

Most scrogging is done with cloned females, as seed plants usually have males, and males are a waste of space in a sinse garden. Space and time.

But anyway, just think about scrog as being a simple topiary assister. All it does is make it easier to get a uniform canopy from a plant growing in a small space. The lights are only in one spot, so the screen simply arranges the tops of the plants so that each one gets the maximum potential light it has available to it.

You can also create a semi scrog canopy simply by tying down the buds as they grow and training them without a screen. This is rarely as even as a scrog screen grow, but it has the advantage of far more maneuverability once set, and also allows a larger cola size to develop should you want it too. Scrogs can also produce large colas, it's essentially how big the holes and how far the spacing is, but scrog is generally used to produce many smaller colas rather than few larger ones. lol

So in short, yes, any plant can be scrogged, it's usually done with hydropoincs indoors simply because it's an easier process and control is exact. But scrogging a soil grown plant is perfectly possible. It might take a little longer, but it'll still grow the same as a hydro plant of the same strain, all else being equal.

Good luck mate, scrogging is not that hard, just take your time and think about the process and you should do fine. There are plenty of scrog growers here who can give you more detailed advice about spacing and the operation of a scrog grow, and I'm sure they'll be piping up soon. lol lol

i grow screen of green so i don't have to grow so many plants. anything more than 2 or 3 foot from the lights is crap anyway, so instead of growing 30 plants that are 2 foot high and wiegh an oz or 2, i grow 8 plants and trellis them horizontally about 12" high. The yield might be a little less while you learn when to turn the lights and stuff, but the legal benefits are VERY worth it. Look up your states growing laws, theres very distinct numbers of plants that determines your charge. Be prepared, be smart, and play there game to your advantage.

in my grow thread I have used a Screen for the first time, Now I didnt do it the correct way of training them to every hole etc, but I have used the screen simply to support the weight of the buds.

Like just let it grow and give each branch a hole and then once most of the hole were filled I turned it to 12/12.