First time grower needs help

Hi guys,

First time grower here and I need some help, well actually I need a lot of help but I'll ask one thing at a time.

I bought some bonza seeds and they arrived on friday. I immediately put them in some paper towel to germinate and 2 days later about half of them had roots of a 10mm or more so I planted those ones and left the others to germinate some more.

So that was Sunday night that I put them in coffee cups of soil which was a mix of soil from the yard, searles potting mix, and some lime to bring the ph up a little as the potting mix ph was 5.5 - 6.5 on the packet.

So only 3 days after recieving the seeds I was stunned to see that they were all sprouting thru the soil and the biggest was about 20mm tall with the 2 round leaves and the two tiny little pointy leaves showing already. I had the coffee cups covered with glad wrap.

So a few hours ago I took the glad wrap off of 2 of the seedlings and those 2 now look rather sick. The one that had a few leaves showing now is leaning to one side and it looks like the leaves are actually closing up again rather than opening out the way they were, and the other one that was a bit taller but the leaves hadnt opened out yet has fallen over so its almost laying on the soil. The ones that I left under the glad wrap are still standing straight up at this stage.

They are under a 400w hps light that is sitting about 50cm above them and its been on 24hr since they were planted. I have now put the glad wrap back on and turned the light off for the next six hours as I was worried they were getting cooked. The temperature in the grow area would be approx 30c and Ive been keeping the soil damp.

Im worried that all these little plants are gonna keel over before I even get started.

They are all auto flowering indica dominants strains. Any idea whats wrong if anything? Am I freaking out for no good reason and they should pop back up once they get stronger?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

fish

hey fish burger im no auto expert havent if even grownem yet hopefully one day anyay from what i can see with the autos is they need extra care/ for the medium coco only or coco and wormcastings and there is probley other ways anyways. i havent really seen people do to well with there own soil and potting mix they always end up crap to be honest with you. all the best with them

Can you put them in sunlight? I haven't grown before but all of my other seedlings love sunshine in their little hothouse more than anything artificial I've given them. Take them inside when they're a bit healthier and bigger, or just before it starts to become obvious what they are. Otherwise Token JJ's advice is always good, so listen to him!

The problem would be with your method of sprouting beans...

The glad wrap over the cup would have kept the humidity way up, and when you took it away, the plants would have been gasping for wet air, and only getting sahara styled shit.

If available, use off cut coke bottles, (the top bits with the lid) over the plants.

Make sure the lid is off.

Spray with water - spray into the coke bottle while it's on the plant, through the lid hole. This will immediately raise the humidity.

Use this for a few days until they get used to that, then step down to no dome.

Don't use glad wrap next time you grow.

EDIT, just reread ya post.

DO NOT switch off your light. Keep it on 24/0.

You also said you're keeping the soil damp - Do not water for the next few days. Like, 5, at least... Seeds like damp, too damp and they "damp-off" other wise known as stem rot... damping off is for babies though. Basically they fall over and die, and noone likes that.

Edited by STONEDAJ69

hi fishyburg & welcome to os :egyptdance:

fish .......So a few hours ago I took the glad wrap off of 2 of the seedlings and those 2 now look rather sick. The one that had a few leaves showing now is leaning to one side and it looks like the leaves are actually closing up again rather than opening out the way they were, and the other one that was a bit taller but the leaves hadnt opened out yet has fallen over so its almost laying on the soil. The ones that I left under the glad wrap are still standing straight up at this stage.

They are under a 400w hps light that is sitting about 50cm above them and its been on 24hr since they were planted. I have now put the glad wrap back on and turned the light off for the next six hours as I was worried they were getting cooked.

The temperature in the grow area would be approx 30c and Ive been keeping the soil damp.

Im worried that all these little plants are gonna keel over before I even get started.

Do worry !!!!!!

Too much of everything ! :smoke: Slow down - no plan :chair: minimal preparation :chair:

get things stabalized @ the environment level - lay off the water, lift that light 1m - get temp way down 8-10 deg or so (look @ airflow/exchange) and a 'humidity dome'.

Perhaps you should have sown less beans ! ...................if you like pressure, you have resources, and are determined to help not hinder the normal grownth of an organism the next 48hrs is crutial for those poor babies you have.

Live, grow and learn fishyburg

:yinyang:

Nitty.

• Upvote 2

Ok so after I posted this and before anyone had replied I replaced the glad wrap and gave them a drop of water and you could almost see them bouncing back. Within 20 minutes they were pointing straight up again.

Ive discovered theres a hydro place just down the road from me so when they are time to put into a pot I was thinking of putting into coco and perlite but I dont know if that possible once theyve been started in soil? If its not possible I will buy some of their Canna terra soil and use that instead with perlite.

Thanks for all the advice. I am trying to make the most of the advice given. So Ive raised the light height significantly, manged to get the temperature down a fair bit by leaving the door open and Im going to lay off the water for a while. In the morn I'll also grab half a dozen cheap softdrinks and use the bottles like AJ said to adjust them to lower humidity.

With the seeds, yeah i got them off Bonzas website. They arrived in 9 days and the stealth seemed adequate.

With the fan, is it better to have it blowing at the light source or at the seedlings?

Thanks for all the help everyone. I don't know where I'd be without this site.

Good to see your on the job quick smart fishy :thumbsup:

With the fan, is it better to have it blowing at the light source or at the seedlings?

Much of a muchness - one or the other but prefortably both. Young seedlings need to be 'strong' indoors and tiiy need to replicate the natural optimal condition indoors as out. A genal 'brezze' blowing over them helps strengthing up of the trunk. If your resourceful you can find a desk fan as a 2nd fan - be informed & aware about your power supply (no water/no muli double adapters ect)

With the seeds, yeah i got them off Bonzas website. They arrived in 9 days and the stealth seemed adequate.

That's good news - take time to say if you happy

So how many 'viable seedlings' do you have ?

Remember a Golden rule - "never chit chat about your growing" - it's a hard one !

Grow well fishy & may Gunjagod protect the littlens!

Nitty.

hi fishyburg & welcome to os

Do worry !!!!!!

Too much of everything ! :smoke: Slow down - no plan :chair: minimal preparation :chair:

get things stabalized @ the environment level - lay off the water, lift that light 1m - get temp way down 8-10 deg or so (look @ airflow/exchange) and a 'humidity dome'.

Perhaps you should have sown less beans ! ...................if you like pressure, you have resources, and are determined to help not hinder the normal grownth of an organism the next 48hrs is crutial for those poor babies you have.

Live, grow and learn fishyburg

Nitty.

I was reading the original OP's post, and i had a few answers to his problem, after reading what some other members had replied i came across this post, in which says everything that i was going to! Some good advice Nifty!

Eh i'll still throw in to further verify your problems, imo the 400w hps is overkill for the seedling, atleast lift it a metre at the least. As Nifty said.

Keeping the soil moist all the time is overkill also, you're most likely over watering your plant. Let the soil dry out over a few days, to the point you can stick your finger into the cup and it feels dry half way down your finger, this is just a general indication. This will promote root growth to grow at a faster rate in order to search for water. UNDER WATERING IS BETTER THEN OVER WATER!

Try your best to get the temps down, here in Aus it can be tricky and harder due to the high weather constantly, but most of us have worked around it, so can you, at the seedling stage they're most prone to frying in the heat, even if you get the temps down for a few weeks they're alot more resilient as they get bigger and can handle heat waves better (My babies went 3 days in 40degree heat they managed to live through it) Also try get your humidity up.

I'm sure i have missed some things and will be happy to help further and will add to this post if i remember some vitals ;)

Happy growing!

Edited by choofyN