That light doesn't need an earth. In AC systems the wires are Active and Neutral(Not Positive and Negative). The Positive and Negative in AC systems, is in regards to the alternating current +/-. If there is any electrical problem in an AC system the nuetral takes the out of balance current to earth.

Its the same as if you hard wired some fluro's to a switch. They have no earth, the neutral is the earth basically.

I would happily wire this kind of thing up myself and have no worries at all about my house burning down. Anything more complex than this however, should be done by a professional.

td

Thanks iatd, good to know. I've got some questions for you on that point.

From what I understand after researching (correct me if I'm wrong), current flows in through the active wire and out through the neutral to complete the circuit. How could the neutral act as an earth with that purpose? Also, the fitting itself has an earth socket, surely it's there for a reason.

Hey thats no problem Musashin. Firstly. I am not a qualified electrician.

Secondly. I'm not going to explain all the electrical principles.

The neutral only carries a load if a system is out of balnce. The neutral is usually the wire closest to your house and is connected to an earth on every forth or fifth power pole. This is how an out of balanced load returns to the transformer.(or complete's the circuit)

http://wiki.answers...._in_electricity

http://en.wikipedia....Earthing_system

You don't need an earth because there is no external metal fittings. The earth is for leakage over the outside of an appliance.

td

Edited by iatd

Ah okay no worries, that makes perfect sense, thanks for explaining. I've already read that second link but the first was very handy.

I know I've sounded like a broken record this whole thread, but I wanted to be 100% sure that I understand exactly what's happening so I can leave it going while I'm asleep or out of the house without worring about it.

The only other potential hazard I could think of is overloading a wire, but I've made sure all the wires are rated for more amperage than the light puts out (which is something like 0.1a if I have the maths right).

I'm pretty sure there isn't anything more to it than that, unless you know of something I may have overlooked. Thanks again for your help. :yahoo:

Hey stoners...

I am a qualified sparky, and i think i should point out a few things..

Four terminals on the bottom of light socket..

Loop = spare terminal, not connected to anything in the socket,

E = Earth.. for green/yellow wire. ALWAYS CONNECT THE EARTH WIRE!!

A = Active.. for brown or red wire. Positve terminal inside socket.

N = Neutral-- for blue or black wire.. Negative terminal inside socket.

For screw in light sockets, getting Active/Neutral correct is a must.. The metal contact at the base of the socket is active, the screw-in thread MUST be neutral

And fuck earthin shit...

That is what gets people killed and fires started... :thumbdown:

The only other potential hazard I could think of is overloading a wire, but I've made sure all the wires are rated for more amperage than the light puts out (which is something like 0.1a if I have the maths right).

Avoid double adapters, use a powerboard with overload and surge protection.

Extension lead cable is rated at 10amps, so is the powerpoint you plug it into..

400w globe draws around 2amps.

HID lighting also creates a large spike at startup, can be 2-4times running current.

Just a reminder..

Doing your own unlicenced electrical work is illegal, (but so is growing weed so thats not going to stop you is it :bongon: :bongon: )

IF you do not fully understand what you are doing, get someone else to do it, or ask for help. If you're gonna do it, do it properly, do it safely

IF you kill yourself, life insurance will not cover it

IF you kill anyone else, you are totally fucked

IF you burn down the house, insurance will not cover it

This information has been provided as a guide only, If you have any specific questions let me know

• Upvote 3