Return of the Jedi...

Uh, yeah, you may have forgotten my post in that thread Kimba.... :P

The heat probs are a direct result of the environment in which the cabinet is situated, (not exactly the best spot from a ventilation viewpoint, but a stealthy one.... ;) ) not to mention the somewhat hap-hazard attachment of a carbon filter to the system. The environment inside is normally most excellent, but even the most excellent growroom can only pull in air as hot as the outside unless some sort of air-conditioning and cooling is devised... I can't afford it, so summer is just a no-no for me.

I've been fairly lucky with this grow this far into summer, I managed to acclimatise and prepare the plants for the coming heat, and we have had a relatively late coming and mild summer here in Perth so far, It's normally a fair sight hotter than this a lot sooner normally.

I'll be considering some side lighting soon, and you're link for the envirolights got me interested for this as I was already looking at 28 and 48w compact flouros as a suppliment to the hid. This could help me to flesh out the canopy a bit more, right to the edges... But another restriction I have is power consumption, I'm not the richest guy in the world, (hey, just take a look at the evolution of this growroom from the last thread to this one... ;) ) so if I do go with more lighting it's either going to be under 150 or 100w total on top of the 400w or I may as well just convert to a 600w and really go the distance. Wouldn't have canopy edge lighting problems then....

Another potential possibility for evening out the lighting would be a light rail of sorts, but this is unlikely to happen as once again, money restricts. A short rail in this cabinet would really help I think, anyone who would know where I could find plans for a home made one which can be made for less than 100 bucks is most welcome to post here or pm me....

Anyway, thanks for the post Kimba, but for the reasons I've described, I doubt the envirolights will be the answer to my problems. I've deliberately done this grow early summer to keep me going until I can start up properly again with clones in the late summer/early autumn, when the ambient temps drop a bit. I'll investigate them for the side lighting tho, but as I understand it you posted that you were unimpressed with the penetration, so I'm not even sure if these will be appropriate. Cheers anyway. :P

And cheers Sweet Jane, I appreciate the comment... I'll take some pics of the harvest and share the event with you all, well, as far as I can really.... :)

Enjoy the harvesting Luke. May your scissors be coated in sweet Blue Widow finger hash.

;) Tugboat ;)

p.s. The carbon filter you've been using for the end of this grow - was it a homemade number or an over the counter job. I think my cab is similar in dimensions to yours using a 400 hps aswell. I'm yet to see a simple Aussie DIY post for making one - although I've seen plenty on other sites; the descriptions and particularly the components used leave me scratching the noggin as to what I could use as an alternative

Thanks Tug, I'll definitely enjoy the fruity aroma... really comes out in the flush... whoooee... glad I've got that filter... Thanks to the lender, you know who you are, and you rock. ;)

Anyway, there should be a shot somewhere in this thread of the carbon filter, it's a bought model. However, I did have an effort at making my own and made it about 4/5ths of the way to a working unit. All I need to do is fill it with carbon which is re-activated, and strengthen the inner walls of the filter design. It's the overgrow one, just has to be modified a little as I'd not really made a concerted effort on the job.... I'll post some pics of it when I build it properly for mk II. as I definitely agree with your assesment that there are little to no diy descriptions for making one in oz conditions. I'll get back to ya on that... ;)

The carbon filter at present is designed for a fan size slightly above mine, and a axial fan just doesn't have the strength in flow to really use it effectively. Add to that hot temps outdoors, which is where the air is drawn from, and you've got a hot cabinet with some backwash from the filter... The filter will be removed from the growroom after harvest.... (dark period started today, and will be posting pics in the arvo about the harvest once I've cleaned my hands of hash.... ;) This should hopefully help me to manage the heat in the intervening couple of weeks whilst the plants revert to veg, and then clone them out, take out the hid and use flouros on a group of bonsai'd mothers for the next generation in autumn.... I'll be posting some questions as well as a new thread on the GR in the next couple of days, all advice on this and help in conversion of the GR to a bonsai'd mum flouro home will be most appreciated indeed. ;) ;)

Thanks again tug....

*Drum Roll*

*Blaring Trumpets in unison*

Harvest time! ;)

Okay, let's run down, a good friend has helped out for the harvest, helping to make light work of many buds. ;) Of course they wish to remain anonymous, but I'm sure they'll see these pics and to you, I say, Cheers buddy. ;)

Anyway, we started at about 10, finishing up at 5 or so, with my mate having to cruise at about 3 because of prior commitments.... I chopped off the main branches removing the buds, which had spent the previous 24 and a few more hours in the darkness, no water, no light, just airflow.

These branches amounted to about a large plastic garbage bag full. ;)

I'll show ya some shots of the buds in the dark period, these are kinda fuzzy, sorry about that, but I only used a very small light to illuminate these pics and the camera doesn't pic it up that well. Here we go! ;)

post-9-1073823056_thumb.jpg