impatient...

i havent been able to get my sheeting as yet cos it turns out that i ran out of money after paying some bills. but i still have my seeds under a light inside and have done so for about 4 days or so. now, i got a little nosey and wanted to know if any of the seeds had cracked, so i had a little peek at them. now, what i wanted to know is the first thing to emerge from the seed pod is the root yes? long white thing? well, i put my seeds in with the pointy end at the top, and the white thing is growing out of the top, is this right? I know im stupid, but hey, i cant help it sometimes :D

Guest Field_of_Light

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Pointy end down - assuming thats where the root is growing out of....why make your root d a 180 when it can grow straight down......?

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Pointy end down - assuming thats where the root is growing out of....why make your root d a 180 when it can grow straight down......?

hey man, I don't make the rules, if ya got a problem take it up with the plants :D

to quote sols....

g'day pipeman; sounds like you put seed upside down.

plant seed with opening to the top not pointing down, point of seed is where root comes out, it then turns 180 to grow down, if planted upside down the root will corkscrew before growing proper.plant seed very soon after it cracks open or sow seed into soil 1st without soaking seeds in water

Guest Field_of_Light

OKies...that defies phototropic principles doesnt it?

Let me pull out my quote book...

Wolf : The seed should be planted about 1/2" below the surface, taproot pointed down.

Ghosty: Tap root pointing up? The person doesn't know what they are doing.. its a ROOT.. not a shoot :P

Hank the Dank : "The position of the seed in the soil has a slight effect on germination. The root directs its growth in response to gravity. However, germination is a little faster when the seeds are planted with the pointed end up."

So there are obviously two ways of doing it....BUT if your seed has already germinated in paper towell or water....then IMO its better to face the root down....as in the following pic....to facilitate gravity

http://www.overgrow.com/edge/gallery.php?u...ant-A-Seed.gif&

Hope this helps :D

OKies...that defies phototropic principles doesnt it?

Let me pull out my quote book...

Wolf : The seed should be planted about 1/2" below the surface, taproot pointed down.

Ghosty: Tap root pointing up? The person doesn't know what they are doing.. its a ROOT.. not a shoot ;)

Hank the Dank : "The position of the seed in the soil has a slight effect on germination. The root directs its growth in response to gravity. However, germination is a little faster when the seeds are planted with the pointed end up."

So there are obviously two ways of doing it....BUT if your seed has already germinated in paper towell or water....then IMO its better to face the root down....as in the following pic....to facilitate gravity

http://www.overgrow.com/edge/gallery.php?u...ant-A-Seed.gif&

Hope this helps  :D

yes if the taproot has already grown out, point it down, but if the seed has just cracked and the tap root is exposed but not grown out, plant seed tap root pointed up, as shown in your link :P

Interestingly I looked back at an old picture I took of some seeds germinating and even before planting, it seems the roots tendency is to curl back round the seed and head in the other direction.

post-12-1060691175_thumb.jpg

Guest Field_of_Light

Yeh that seems to be the tendency which is why Im assuming some people say to not get it that long in the first place...

Ive seen seeds growing with a 3 inch root in water...way too long to plant but it still worked...I guess the fact they were floating around kind of screwed with the principles of gravity as the root was long and fairly straight

Just clarifying what Im reading.... :D