Rosscopico's 1st outdoor grow

Well, a week has gone by, the larger one has bushed up quite a bit with a bit of bondage & discipline, the smaller one is getting there.

post-3457-1276724020_thumb.jpg

post-3457-1276724046_thumb.jpg

I checked the other day, the equinox isnt until late September which gives another 3 months of veg growth!

Thats some big plants!!

Im currently looking around for some big fuck off containers to repot them into.

Im thinking maybe something like a 50 litre tub for each plant, drill plenty of holes then line the bottom of each tub with rocks for drainage.

Mix a stack of perlite with some sort of potting mix & off we go!

Speaking of.....can anyone recommend some sort of mixture? ie- certain percentage peat moss, perlite, etc, etc.....

I am thinking of possibly supplementing with nutes as well.

Also I have noticed there appears to be an ant nest in the larger plants pot.

Im not sure if I need to get rid of them.......???? :D

Hey rossco, good colour mate.

Your mix, consider, depending what you can get: Good quality potting mix + humus/compost + peat + perl + plus blended composted manures and guanos/ kelp/ optional pinch of blone n bone, tiny pinch of dolomite lime

Or go plain potting mix/peat/perl and liquid feed more.

With the ants, you don't have to get rid of them..

But watch they aren't farming afids to your plants. They can place them there and guard them to harvest your plant's sugars.

Nest kill is the go to consider in that case :D

Hey Mull,

Ill have a look at the plants in the morning for farmed aphids.......stay tuned!

I had been thinking of feeding the plants some sort of nutes, so I reckon Ill do the potting mix/peat/perlite.

Ive just been doing a bit of reading & like the sound of manure tea for veg & high P guano tea mixed with some kelp for flowering. Anything special I need to do or is just steeping the fertiliser in water for a few days?

Can anyone recommend ratios of water to fertiliser? Is there some formula to use the N-P-K ratios to calculate the strength of the overall solution?

Unfortunately my truncheon meter is on the other side of the world!! Although I have noticed there are cheapo Chinese copies of the Bluelab truncheon on ebay for about $33.... :D

Had a look for farmed aphids, none to be seen. However I did see a few red spidermites!!! ^_^

I have some Neem oil & have the instructions on the foliar spray mixing (water, Neem & a bit of detergent as an emulsifier)

But I dont know if I am supposed to wash it off later????

If I leave it on would it be bad for the plants??

I cant seem to find any info regarding this......... can anyone help?

I just found ants farming aphids in my ivy, would explain why its growing so slowly!

So after a bit of reading (and since Im not sure if I need to rinse off Neem oil) I made a solution of 2 litres water, 5 cloves of garlic chopped up a bit, a couple of tablespoons of pepper, curry powder & chilli powder. Boiled it for about 20 mins.

It is currently cooling, I will add some of the solution to some water in a spray bottle & spray all of the ivy first, see what happens, then will likely spray the whole garden.

I will post my results ^_^

Had a look for farmed aphids, none to be seen. However I did see a few red spidermites!!! :)

I have some Neem oil & have the instructions on the foliar spray mixing (water, Neem & a bit of detergent as an emulsifier)

But I dont know if I am supposed to wash it off later????

If I leave it on would it be bad for the plants??

I cant seem to find any info regarding this......... can anyone help?

Nah mate it will be ok. Neem (good quality) can be used up until about two weeks before harvest. Better if you don't have to use it but it is eco friendly. Important to spray under the leaves more than the tops. :peace:

what brick said, neem is good shit... Use it once or twice a week after you get rid of the infestation to keep bugs at bay. I use neem for my mullies and ethnos and eco-pest oil for the rest of my garden. Continually spraying means they don't get a chance to setup camp. :peace: especially those spider mites. Kill those bastards asap.

Lookin pretty good there mate, the three months veg will REALLY get some size happening :) i expect to see a trunk on those mofos by flowertime !!!

also i got a really cool bottle of eco-pest oil that has a bendy spray bit with like 1M of pipe, it is great for getting under the leaves coz you can hold it upside down while the bottle itself is rightway up (dont end up with air coming thru) worth the spend even if you just tip out the pest oil. Makes spraying a dream !!!

Well, they are nearly reaching the top of the fence (they are sitting on a besser brick, so will be removing the besser brick & repotting them in to big tubs. I figure lots of holes around the bottom, a 1-2 inch layer of rocks for drainage & a 50-50 mix of peat & perlite.

Ive been doing a bit of reading about teas. Im thinking of using a bat guano high in N, a bit of worm castings, then supplementing with a bit of kelp for some extra K.

For flowering, same except a guano high in P.

Also Im thinking of doing an outdoor scrog to keep them low.......could be interesting!