Pipeman's cannabutter

Yep, using cheese cloth or muslin is a good idea because it is lightweight and normally stronger than material of similar weight, really, designed for 'similar' purpose (straining cheese). People have success with, say, an old T-shirt that has been washed/dried many times and is basically threadbare. I recognise a decent basis for this as the T probably has a significant synthetic (polyester) content but be careful when squeezing it dry, it may rip.

I've variously read that using marg instead of butter is not a good idea. Something to do with 'additional' components in the marg and possibly changes to these due to temperature. Not really sure of the science here. Indulge yourself, use a nice full fat butter ('light' butter has reduced fat content).

One reason for the reduction of the butter weight is that butter itself has a significant water content, by heating we separate this water from the butter solids.

I haven't done the ghee method but as ghee is used extensively in India and (I'm pretty sure) been used for bhang for thousands of years decent results are expected.

Flushing the weed with water beforehand to get rid of unwanted material causes me some concern. Though not water soluble I expect a significant percentage of THC containing particles to float off. I suppose one could 'spoon off' anything appearing to float on the water and reintroduce it, leaving most of the 'cast' dissolved in the green water. Also, this material could be reduced by 1st shaking the weed through a strainer (like getting hash powder) and either used separately or reintroduced after the washing.

Also glad that someone earlier identified the double boiler as such. Even the small burner on my gas stove is maybe a little hot on minimal setting (and if there's a breeze blowing through the kitchen can actually blow out at this low setting). Keep your eye on the water level in the lower pot, I suggest you want to keep it about half full.