Tobacco increases THC absorbtion

Though i smoke tobacco, i in no way support its use, and personally recommend against spinning your weed with baccy.

I just came across this study and thought it was interesting, a good tip for stoners who also smoke baccy like myself, if you have only a small amount of weed, spinning it more than increases the volume of matter you can smoke, but also increases the amount of THC inhaled.

Cannabis smoke condensate II: influence of tobacco on tetrahydrocannabinol levels.

Van der Kooy F, Pomahacova B, Verpoorte R.

Division of Pharmacognosy, Section of Metabolomics, Institute of Biology, Leiden University, Leiden, The Netherlands. f.vanderkooy@chem.leidenuniv.nl

Medicinal cannabis has attracted a lot of attention in recent times. Various forms of administration are used, of which smoking is very common but the least desirable. Smoking cannabis generates a large amount of unwanted side products, of which carcinogenic compounds are the most dangerous. A common practice among recreational drug users, and to a lesser degree patients who uses cannabis as medicine, is to mix the cannabis material with commercially available tobacco in order to increase the burning efficiency of the cigarette and to reduce the overall costs of the cigarette. In this study cannabis material has been mixed with tobacco in order to determine whether tobacco has an influence on the amount of and ratio between tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), cannabigerol (CBG), and cannabinol (CBN) administered while smoking. A small-scale smoking machine has been used and cannabis mixed with various ratios of tobacco was smoked. The trapped smoke was quantitatively analyzed by high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) and the amount of THC, CBG, and CBN was determined for each cigarette. We have found that tobacco increases the amount of THC inhaled per gram of cannabis from 32.70 (+/- 2.29) mg/g for a 100% cannabis cigarette to 58.90 (+/- 2.30) mg/g for a 25% cannabis cigarette. This indicates that tobacco increases the vaporization efficiency of THC by as much as 45% under the conditions tested.

source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1885515...Pubmed_RVDocSum

Edited by Crunchy
  • Upvote 1

:guitar:A New Spin on Things...

Gave up tobacco in the mid 90's... Midnight new years eve

Now for spin I use cannabis leaf. When I've only have a small amount of buds I've used green tea as 'spin'.

I agree that any form of 'burnt' substance has a highly probable carcinogenic result - So without much rocket science involved it seems vaporizers are the go (or bikkies of course) So why don't more tolker folks us leaf as 'spin' ?? Am I missing out on something here?

Have a good day :pokey:

:guitar:A New Spin on Things...

Gave up tobacco in the mid 90's... Midnight new years eve

Now for spin I use cannabis leaf. When I've only have a small amount of buds I've used green tea as 'spin'.

I agree that any form of 'burnt' substance has a highly probable carcinogenic result - So without much rocket science involved it seems vaporizers are the go (or bikkies of course) So why don't more tolker folks us leaf as 'spin' ?? Am I missing out on something here?

Have a good day :(

Leaf tastes terrable and is harsh on your most peoples throat :pokey:

i've been smoking leaf and have used it for spin, but its not about just increasing volume, what the study is saying is that you absorb more THC when u mix with baccy. Though i do agree with you SeaHiPPieS that people shoud spin with something other than baccy, the fact is that anyone who isnt a grower or who doesnt know a grower will not find it easy to obtain leaf.

Off ya tree seells passion flower, when i have it i use that to spin with. It burns well with a smooth smoke although not as smooth as when you spin with tobacco. The passion flower is also meant to have a MAO inhibitor in it so it slightly decreases serotonin breakdown in the brain. I find that when compared with tobacco it produces a more relaxing comfortable high.

Interesting. so basically the tobacco increases the THC consumption.

Well you can always do what I do and only smoke tobacco when your mixing.

there is no reason you HAVE to smoke tobacco. its not that had to quit.

You are kidding right? Tobacco is one of the most addictive drugs known to mankind.. Its horribly addictive for some people, though of course like anything this varies...

I used to smoke 40-50 cigarettes per day, I only managed to quit by using nicotine gum which I have been chewing non-stop, unable to quit (costing over $100 per week) for over 15 years. I chew about 2-3 times the maximum amount your supposed to chew. I have known people that have told they would die if they did not stop smoking, they could not stop, and they indeed died.

Even if tobacco increase THC absorption by 45% its not worth touching tobacco.. we need to know "why" tobacco increase THC absorption, is it due to tobacco smoke per se, or is it due to mixing it with another substance helps it burn better or something.

This is evil research the last thing we need is more marijuana smokers mixing their weed with tobacco.

though a tobacco smoker m'self I'm also not going to encourage anyone to introduce T to their mix.

I can do without smoko (weed). I can do without booze. Cut the ciggies and after a couple of hours I'm climbing the walls.

I know people who don't normally take tobacco but do use it for spin. Unsurprisingly I hear 'I need a cone' more from them than 'I want a cone'.

• Upvote 1