My new DWC cab is running hot!

Hey Everyone

I've just finished (well thought I'd finished) setting up my first DWC ScROG Cabinet all the details are here:

https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners...st&p=239957

I've been doing some temp tests and the results are pretty scary!!!

I reset my digital thermometer/hygrometer yesterday and set my veg timer to turn on at 5:30pm and turn off at 10:30am

---------------------------------------------------------------

MIN:

IN: 22.4 C

OUT: 22.6 C

RH: 20%

MAX:

IN: 40.4 C

OUT: 41.8 C

RH: 43 %

So maybe I do need to do something about this? Iv'e read some other posts about max temps from some blokes in N-QLD and the general consensus is that the ambient temps aren't too much to worry about if you can keep the root zone cool! Im hoping that is true! I havent had the chance to monitor the reservoir temps yet because I will have to do it manually (I only have a stick-on type thermometer!) But I have a feeling that the circulating nutrient from the external reservoir may keep the nute temps in check!

I know that these temps are far from ideal but I'm not that keen on pulling stuff apart! But I also dont want to waste these 5 expensive feminized seeds either!!

I just need to hear from people with experience in growing with these temps!

I don't think there is a major airflow problem cos the fan doesnt even strain when I close the door. And also my humidity seems quite low maybe even too low!

Does anyone have any feelings or ideas on this? I'm worried that I will put a bigger fan in and the temps will still be the same and my cab will look shit where I have butchered it to put in a bigger fan!

At the moment I have a 120mm fan blowing into a 95mm hole with a PVC elbow pushed into it. So I think it might be losing alot of its 80CFM rating. No problem I thought to myself I will just get a more powerful 105CFM fan of the same 120mm size and it will just bolt right in but if you look at the different blade patterns you can see why this wont work!

Current Exhaust Fan:

post-33524-1251705283_thumb.jpg

Proposed New More Powerful Fan:

post-33524-1251705444_thumb.jpg

I know its a big ask but does anyone know what to do?

U4R1K

Those fans just wont cut it imho in n-qld u need better air flow, i use to live on the fraser coast and the min for my 2 door robe was a 150mm centrif fan with lights on at night...

Yeah I thought that might be the case but I was hoping on getting something growing in here soon. I just wish I bought the cooltube which was round about the same price!! I seen heaps of cabinets with similiar fans to mine but they were obviously growing in way cooler climates!!!

Are you saying i need to buy a whole new cooltube type lamp and inline fan?? Shit I've already gone way over budget!! There has to be another way!!

U4R1K

No about 200 will get u a 150mm centrif fan that will be good enough to get good air flow through ya robe to keep temps lower than u have now.

Cool tubes imo only cut ya temps a bit as the heat still builds up in the grow area and needs to be removed and those fans just wont cut in a 2 door robe.

Have a look see on ebay there is a dude that has 250mm centrif fans for 130+p&h and that will me more than nuff to have good air flow through ya robe and drop temps...

.......... the ambient temps aren't too much to worry about if you can keep the root zone cool!

:peace: That has been my experience u4r1k. It's easy to control in DWC. If its hot I like 22c and in winter 24c. Temps over 24, especially in summer will cause root problems. An inline chiller is best or if winter gets cold a chiller/heater.

Peace MongyMan

No about 200 will get u a 150mm centrif fan that will be good enough to get good air flow through ya robe to keep temps lower than u have now.

Cool tubes imo only cut ya temps a bit as the heat still builds up in the grow area and needs to be removed and those fans just wont cut in a 2 door robe.

Have a look see on ebay there is a dude that has 250mm centrif fans for 130+p&h and that will me more than nuff to have good air flow through ya robe and drop temps...

Hey thanks ozzy I'm going to have a look around now!

U4R1K

:peace: You can't get it any cooler than the incoming air. Why is it so hot already? Any way of ducting cooler air in?

Peace MongyMan

Gday MongyMan

Yeah I dont think its the incoming air thats the problem (My "In" measurement is taken on top of the res) I think the air is just blowing around in there and not being extracted quick enough. I heard these HPS lamps can get hot but I think mine gets super hot and its brand new! I did another temp test last night after adjusting the circ fan on the right to blow up diagonally and the max was only 37 C!! So if I get a centrifugal fan i should be sweet just dont quite know how to mount it!!

Cheers

U4R1K

Ok Ozzy I found heaps of Centrifugal fans online, Just not too sure how i should mount it. Do I just drill out the existing hole and shove it in?? And how are they wired up do they usually come with a 240V plug and power lead??

Cheers

U4R1K

If u get the fan here in Aust yes it should be wired up to plug strait in and fire up.

When it comes to installing the fan the way it is ment to be done is u have the filter in side the grow area and u hook fan up to filter and draw the air through the filter.

U could have the filter inside the grow area and u could hook up a short pice of ducting to the fan outside the grow area, but with a cab like u are using it can take up a bit of room.

The other way it can be done (i had mine setup this way and it worked) is u hook up some ducting to the top of the cab and onto the centrif fan and filter on other end of fan and blow air through filter rater than sucking, it not ment to be used like that but it works...