A survey on self-managed change

The only thing that seems "problematic" is the way NCPIC and NDARC conduct their surveys AnthonyA. There's no room for open discussion. Sort that little issue out and there's a fair chance you'll open the flood gates to heaps of information.

In the meantime, earn your keep and use the Search Function for any information you may require. Believe or not, it's how most of find the anwers to our queries.

:xcited:

:nono: Hi Anthony, like others I'm also interested to know what your credentials are? Are you a 'scientist'? A doctor? Just an 'average joe' who got a job at the NCPIC?

The reason I ask is, if the government is prepared to throw $12million in one hit and $3 million a year thereafter into funding the 'work' you do I'm assuming that yourself and your co-workers are not unintelligent people. Why then, do you even need to make this post?

This study is based on what appears to be the case that most people who change their cannabis use (by either quitting or cutting down from levels they thought were a problem for them) do so without the help of formal treatments (e.g., GPs, counsellors, psychologists, drug and alcohol services, etc.)

:xcited: Yes Anthony, what 'appears' to be is 100% correct. A gold star for you. How can the NCPIC not already know this with the huge amount of money they are funded?

Despite this, little is known about how people actually go about markedly reducing or quitting cannabis.

>:( This shows naivety on the subject of cannabis of a level that is just plain embarrassing to yourself and the NCPIC in general imo . Is it really a genuine question? What research does the NCPIC actually do? Can you show me a single scientific study proving cannabis is addictive? It doesnt take alot of research to learn it isn't. You don't need the help of formal treatments (e.g., GPs, counsellors, psychologists, drug and alcohol services, etc.) to quit something that isnt addictive it is that simple. It isn't rocket science Anthony.

Peace MongyMan

My survey is on self-managed change from problematic cannabis use. This study is based on what appears to be the case that most people who change their cannabis use (by either quitting or cutting down from levels they thought were a problem for them) do so without the help of formal treatments (e.g., GPs, counsellors, psychologists, drug and alcohol services, etc.). Despite this, little is known about how people actually go about markedly reducing or quitting cannabis.

We JUST did a fucking survey telling you how we fucking stop using Cannabis. What the fuck do you do with that information?

Oh, hehe.... yeah that's right.... New guidelines for handling cannabis addiction

Little is known about how we go about reducing our Cannabis use!?

Ok, well.... I'm not sure if I should tell you this secret. It's been held for many years. It comes out of the deepest corners of smoker wisdom....

This is how we go about it.

We smoke less Cannabis.

FUCKING REVELATION OF BIBLICAL PROPORTIONS!!!!

Honestly that question is not answerable other than to say that.

We just smokes less weed, that is how we cut down. What more is there to say?

We breathe a few less breaths of Cannabis smoke than we usually would.

One tends to expand the lungs with a joint to the lips a little less frequently than one would usually tend to.

Fuck off mate, get a real job. MAybe show people how to quit smoking tobacco. You know, that thing that has actually killed people?

Hi again,

Thanks for the feedback - just wanted to say a couple of things to clarify what I was intending. I used the word 'problematic' because I wanted it to be for people who thought that their use was a problem - for whatever reason and whatever 'problem' means to them - and decided to change on their own. I understand that cannabis use is not a problem for many people who use it. Also, I wanted to avoid terms like addiction or dependence (you'll see that I haven't used either of these words in the survey) because I don't think that matches most people's experiences. I know the word 'problematic' is problematic in itself - I started by using 'self-defined problematic' but thought that just doesn't make good sense. Like I said, I intended the survey to be for people who thought their use was a problem in some way - I don't think that's for me to decide. I'm not trying to argue that cannabis is a problem for all people or addictive.

Re my 'credentials' - no, I'm not a doctor or a scientist - I'm a counselling psychologist with a research background. I did some interview research some time ago talking to people who quit amphetamines without treatment. I found that really interesting and found evidence against the belief that drug use is a 'disease' and that if people want to change they need to get medical treatment to do so. I know cannabis is very different from amphetamine, so by doing this survey I wanted to find out how people who want to change their cannabis use do so. If I end up learning from the people who respond that they just smoke less without any difficulty, then that's a good thing, but I don't want to assume that's the case before I ask the people who have actually done it.

Also, when I say things like 'little is known about how people cut down or quit cannabis on their own' I mean that the research community knows little about it because they haven't spent enough time asking the people who have actually done it. You all may know, but we don't, which is why I'm asking you in this survey. I'll then report on what you tell me, and the research community will then have this information to draw from - whether or not they take note of it is another story, but my hope is that they would.

I hope this has clarified a bit where I'm coming from and answered your questions. Thanks again for your time,

Anthony