Greens cause drug policy furore

Guest Urbanhog

Luke skywalker all i need to quote you on is this and why i still think your to confused on what the green party is dooing

"support a policy of regulated availability of drugs used for recreational purposes. These drugs should be available through licensed outlets".

A) Who gets the money from these licensed outlets ? . the green party or the person who operates it and who decideds on the people to get license to operate places like these . ?

;) the money made from these licneses places goes where ? . Should it go into the hands of the goverment or be bought back to the licensee to keep developing .

C) Doese the policy writter or writters and the party that brings it in get a cut of the money before they wright the book's

WITH A FREE CULTERVATION POLICY YOU WILL NOT NEAD TO WORRY ABOUT ANY OF THAT BUT THEN GOVERMENT LOVE'S TAXING STUFF

USE THE FORCE LUKE AND LET INTELLGIENCE COME OUT OF YOUR MIND

Now listen, I'll explain this simply so you can understand... ;)

The monies generated from the sales of cannabis in liscenced premesis will go to those liscenced premises, (I don't know how else to get something with a monetary cost than to physically pay the person who supplies it....) who will have to pay their overheads, i.e. growing the stuff and liscencing to make sure it's grown within certain standards, rent of premises, employees, and most importantly taxes!. These taxes are paid on those drugs sold, (Ironically, probably the gst...) and this proportion of the total sales goes to the government revenue.... Which in turn goes toward drug education, health, education and all that other stuff that governments do with taxes.... ;) See, simple!

It seems to me you think that the Greens are somehow going to come in-between this and take all the revenue before the cafe owner (Or whatever) gets it himself? ;) Since when do individual parties take the revenues generated by their policies? That's like saying that because little johnny brought in the gst, then the liberal party should be entitled to the revenue generated by it. Use your own intelligence mate, that's the most fucked up, stupid idea....

I think if anyone is confused it is you.

They do have a "FREE CULTERVATION" (sic) policy. Read the bloody post on their policy and you will see it!!!!!

They ALSO support the idea of being able to not only grow it yourself, but if you don't want to go through the effort, then you don't have do resort to hugely inflated black-market prices (Which is what you seem to want, hmmm, I wonder if you grow just for personal use, or do I sniff a commercial interest? Maybe you're afraid of losing your customers, eh?) but you can walk down the road, go into a liscenced premises and buy a regulated, guaranteed strength (5% thc, 10% and so on,) with health warnings on the label and a proportion of the sales going into research and so on....

Why are you so desperate that they don't have regulated sellers as well as home-growing, the two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive you know.... Or maybe you don't grasp that basic concept, and that's what this is all about....

peace

p.s. Still waiting for an instance of the greens standing for one thing and doing the opposite, something the two major parties do with alarming regularity..... I think you were right there tom.....;)!

No . Now you Listen

I do not have any current comerical intrests unless weed became legalized i may wish to start a cannibas cafe but thats about it . Now who decides if i get the license for this premise the greens correct . So if payed them a couple of grand to get my grant they would likely say yes ....... THIS IS MY WHOLE POINT....... And i wouldt net let green's dictate a drug amdent unless anybody and everybody could get a license without having to worry about writtting cheques to the green party .

and in that policy unless i was to high off my fucking face , i didt no see these words anywhere "FREE CULTERVATION " if im wrong well im wrong but i didt see it . And yes i do belive the greens are going to cut in and take a percentage before the money goes to the goverment Wouldt you if you had that cability .

You try and see if you can find a ruleing in thier policy where they can re wright the amdement once thier voted in for it to ,Im all for regulated sellers aslong as everybody can afford the license wich you shouldt need to have in the first place

I do not have any current comerical intrests unless weed became legalized i may wish to start a cannibas cafe but thats about it . Now who decides if i get the license for this premise the greens correct . So if payed them a couple of grand to get my grant they would likely say yes ....... THIS IS MY WHOLE POINT....... And i wouldt net let green's dictate a drug amdent unless anybody and everybody could get a license without having to worry about writtting cheques to the green party .

Mj is not going to be legalised under the Liberal government, the only party that has a policy that will allow cannabis cafe's to operate legally is the Greens. I thought you said that you knew how the Greens are structured? If you do then you would know that as a grass roots organisation it is run by the members and supporters and not the politicians, if you remember the Telstra sale for forest protection deal that went wrong last year then you will have seen proof of this, if you don't remember then you can look it up yourself, it involved Mr. Sheen (Howard) and Bob Brown.

and in that policy unless i was to high off my fucking face , i didt no see these words anywhere "FREE CULTERVATION " if im wrong well im wrong but i didt see it .

Read this and tell me where it says that licenses will be required or that there will be any government costs incurred.

6.9 The possession and growing of small numbers of cannabis plants for personal use should be made legal, and all criminal sanctions removed for the possession, sale or display of implements for the administration of cannabis.

6.9.1 Remove all criminal sanctions for the possession of cannabis implements, self administration, and remove all criminal sanctions for cultivation and possession of cannabis plants for personal use.

6.9.2 Support the establishment and funding of a cannabis research institute to research the health and social effects of cannabis, particularly with respect to different growth technologies, organic production and medicinal, social and industrial uses of cannabis.

6.9.3 The Greens NSW will work towards the legalisation of the sale and commercial cultivation of cannabis in a regulated environment, with appropriate legal sanctions, which aims to ensure that the activities of commercial cultivation and sale for recreational purposes meet the same community expectations and safeguards as is required of currently legalised drugs such as alcohol and tobacco.

And yes i do belive the greens are going to cut in and take a percentage before the money goes to the goverment

How can they take a cut? It would mean the Taxation Department would have to be in on it and they would have to change several laws to say the least.

Wouldt you if you had that cability

Don't try to judge others by the standard of politicians you are used to meeting, not all of them are corrupt, dishonest or out to get their snouts at the trough.

You try and see if you can find a ruleing in thier policy where they can re wright the amdement once thier voted in for it to ,Im all for regulated sellers aslong as everybody can afford the license wich you shouldt need to have in the first place

See above.

In Tasmania the majority Labor government has commented that the four Greens in parliament are a much more effective opposition than the seven Liberals, the Liberals have not denied this, maybe because they can't stop fighting amongst themselves long enough to do what they have been elected to do.

g'day; cronic.....change the radio station in your mums car, Mike Carlton is bad role model for young under-developed mind.

catch the bus home from school instead.

greens never stated anything about licensing growers or sellers of mj.

they want mj legalized and "regulated", they are anti- black market.

they want ppl who are caught with small amounts of cannabis to not receive criminal record and/or prison term.

currently, the Australian Labor party, both state and federal, do not have any policy for drug reform.

currently, the Australian Liberal/National party, is 'zero tolerance' to any amount seized....meaning, if you have 1 seed you are liable to arrest. 1 'roach' that is burning your finger tips is criminal quantity and you can receive prison term if judge so desires.

do some research, it takes 5 minutes, type "drug laws" into your search engine, you will find approx 200,000 links.

do have a look, be informed.

post info that you understand, don't dribble brown froth.

I think that the problem here is that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, chronic.... You obviously don't understand a: how the Australian Federal and State parlimentary systems work, b: where the revenues from taxes go and c: what it is that the greens are proposing....

I'll try to explain again....

Do you think that when a law is enacted and it brings in revenue in the form of tax, then the revenues from those taxes go to the political party which came up with the law? ;)

So, as an example, if the Liberal Party introduced a bill which increased the tax on petrol, do you honestly believe that the Liberal Party itself, as an independent organisation would get a percentage or even all of the funds generated? Just because the Liberal Party is elected to government by having a majority in the lower house, doesn't mean that the Liberal Party itself gets to just take the revenue generated and put it in a bank account to be used as they see fit.... The individual representatives in parliament are elected to enact legislation which will help the country as a whole, sort of like the government of the day is a caretaker of a corporation. And the purpose of that corporation is to look after the country and it's people... not to make a profit, or to make politicians or political parties rich. Political parties in government don't own the country, and nor can they own the revenue generated by the taxpayers. They taxation department gathers monies according to the laws of the day, and then those monies go into consolitaded revenue, which are used by the goverment of the day to pay for the welfare of the people as a whole. Tax is collected from the people, for the people. The Parties themselves aren't the owners of that money, they are merely there to decide which areas of need it goes to.... If any political party were to put into legislation that monies generated from the tax or sale of ANYTHING goes to the political party who wrote or enacted that legistlation, IT WOULD BE ILLEGAL!!!

The idea of parties getting monies from legislation they enact is just completely preposterous, not to mention the fact that you haven't shown one single shred of even inferred evidence that the Greens would, could, or even have any desire whatsoever to do so.... (That reminds me, we're still waiting for any single instance of "saying one thing and doing another", too, chronic.... I think you were right tom....)

Where did you get this crazy idea from? Maybe you should go back to your school texts and learn how our democracy works before talking about something which you know nothing about. I can't even work out why you're lambasting a party for trying to bring in legislation which will not only make it legal to grow your own, but also be able to own a cafe and sell the stuff legally.... Thus eliminating the black market, and all the associated risks. ;)

peace

p.s. well said sols

g'day luke; thanks ;)

oh yeah.....good post by yourself too ;)

just a tidbit to add to lukes post.....the governments of Australia are not in power to make 'monetary profit' of any kind.

they are there to 'spend' the money that our taxes give them.

we are John Howard's employer, just as much as we are your local member's employer.(pitty they never listen to the boss huh).

hey sole before you embrase yourself further i finshed school 3 years ago my friend , also its my own car i listen to it in just because you caint afford the petrol to fill up your car dont take it on me . before you make any dickhead statments about mike carlton how about you listen to the show yourself to see how nuterall he is like i said i think your getting 2ue station personalties mixed up and because im 21 i caint listen 2ue . how about showing some intelliegence putting on the show and making your own mind up instead of trying to impress your peers . ;) :;):

And all i can say to luke skywalker is you have been brainwashed by the dark side of the force. ;)

g'day; cronic...actually, i have listened to Mike Carlton, when he was on 2ue, 2gb, etc etc.

he is just as opinionated as Allan Jones.

he does have valid points at times but he also loves to follow Liberal Policy, very much more than he accepts policy from other parties.