If ignorance is the problem!

Think about things this way.

For pretty much the entire human history, there has been only a few instances where civilisations have imposed restrictions on the use of cannabis. The most recent is the "Drug War" era we now live in. But it's only been like that for what, 60 years? Compare that to a history of something like 10,000 which cannabis has with man.... it's inevitable.

It will turn, it's just a matter of time and if we're bothered enough to really change it. All kinds of things can be acheived....

Look at nevada in the elections in the US just gone. There was a question on the ballot which was asking to practically legalise possesion and make an entire legitimate industry. Sure, it wasn't carried, but the real kicker here is the marjin.

41-69 or so I think it was, which is a substantial vote in favour of such a measure.

With more help, and consistent argument about the facts, we can eventually win over those who live in ignorance and fear. We can have a world where smoking a bong or growing a plant isn't illegal.

The question is, do we want it?

I think the question is who is going to do it?

Commercial growers/sellers don't want law reform for obvious reasons.

Small time personal growers are just doing their best to stay out of jail so generally do not want to stick their head up as activists and make themselves a target.

Occasional smokers and straights just don't care enough about the issue, because from their perspective its not a big issue and doesn't make a big difference to their lives one way or the other.

So who are the marijuana activists? virtually no one. this is the basic problem and I have no idea what the solution is. :scratchin:

some more random stoned thoughts....

cannabis is in a unique category in the law where the crime itself is not that bad or harmful but the consequences of being prosecuted under the law can be very severe. Even a personal grower caught at the wrong time can find themselves in serious trouble facing jail or having their kids taken away.

So we have a pretty harmless activity, and if your sensible its pretty easy to live your life the way you want and keep under the radar for the most part. But, if you stick up for your rights and try to change things the consequences can be life destroying. You are taking a big risk for something that for the most part you can continue to do regardless of the law. So you are making yourself a target and potentially risking a lot for something you've been able to do anyway. So why would anyone take the risk?

When you think about it its really not hard to understand why cannabis law reform has gone backwards over the years :scratchin:

ok, this was the point I originally intended to make in the previous post.

the more unjust and absurd a law is, the harder it is to change.

what makes a law unjust and absurd? well IMO its dishing out penalties which are completely out of proportion with the crime and the consequences of the law actually cause more harm to the people than the supposed crime the law is against.

If the law was more reasonable it would be easier to overturn, because the risk of persecution from the law while you're fighting it is in proportion to the social injustice you are fighting for. But, when the governments make the laws completely unreasonable, as they are with cannabis, the risk of persecution becomes so great that the cause is not worth fighting for. So it is the unreasonableness of the law which makes it effectively untouchable, while more sane laws are somewhat easier to change. Which i find very ironic, and sad. :scratchin:

Edited by pipeman

Or maybe it's the case that a lot of stoners are renouned for doing bugga all to protect their rights.

When i went to court recently, i didn't get to have my say. As i was shuffled thru like cattle at a meat works. I got no qualms of standing up for what i think is right, but when you have that removed from you due to the process, it makes it near impossible.

I'm not all for MJ to be totally legal, that would be shear stupidity. I tend to like the approach NORML has, responsible users under controlled conditions. because there's one thing that urks me, and that kids being exposed to MJ at a young age. I have no time for parents that choof up in front of their kids in the lounge room in front of them. I've been a smoker for 20 odd years, and i still haven't managed to get my head around that one.

So yeah, i'm all for responsible law reforms in regards to MJ. But not just open slather as some/most would like.

If anything, i'd like to see a annual license say for around $200 to grow enough personal for the parents of that household, and that a grow room (if grown indoors) was built to certain standard (lockable, proper electrical work done, etc..). That way everything is legit and seen as being responsible.

Prohibition supports addiction that is my main argument in my belief that most drugs should be legalized.

if i had an ice addicted child would i rather the cops haras them or someone at school notices and they get sent to a psychiatrist?

if it was legal then that would be so the drugs would be manufactured in safe environments and people with an addiction would have no reason to be scared to seek help.

i dont give a stuff if they legalise it for my personal use ill smoke nomatter what. I think it is a viable industry especially in queensland considering our weather and i think it has the power to create great benifit for our environment which is currently going to shit.

and fuck a 200 dollar a year liscence its not viable because most people would 1 ignore it because its an entirely unnecesary cost etc. if they created a comercial recreational MJ industry they would be making fuckloads more money and not having as much trouble trying to police individual grower all of which are meant to hold a liscence only 4% of which actually bothered to go get the liscence