What light is this? MH? HPS? or?

Hi

I just signed up to the site and firstly want to say thanks to all the members as this website is an awesome read and a great help for me. I will be spending alot of time over the next month just reading past grow diaries and details on indoor growing as i am new to this.

I bought this light a year ago at an auction to use for portable shed lighting but i was wondering if its possible to use it for growing plants indoors. The casing of the light has no information on what type of light it is and i thought maybe a member here would be able to tell me. Also is there any way to find out the wattage as i cant find those details either. Any info you can give would be great.

Thanks

post-10877-1161966253_thumb.jpgpost-10877-1161966278_thumb.jpgpost-10877-1161966302_thumb.jpg[at

tachment=17667:attachment]

post-10877-1161966956_thumb.jpg

post-10877-1161966320_thumb.jpg

Heya Farang, welcome aboard mate

Pretty sure that light is a MH but its unusual not to have markings on the casing or at least the bulb?? , we have those lights where i work and they are marked MH 250W on the ballast housing. Someone else might know more.

You'd probably be better off getting a light with a remote ballast (ballast and light fitting seperate) to remove the ballast heat from your grow room, but check out the forums and diaries like your thinkin and decide for yourself, thats half the fun!

hey there farang

welcome to the site lad hope ya enjoy ya stay

what it looks like ya got there is definatly a MH i recon but the wattage could be anything but looks to be 250w imo really weird that it dont have anything on the globe though

i would take it down to ya local electritian and get them to sus it out tell them that its ya workshop light and they will tell ya straight away now if it is a 250w MH yes it can be used for growing they are great veg lights but ya may want something bigger for flower maybe a 400w high pressure sodium light as these are better for the flower cycle

also the fact that the ballast on yours isnt remote will creat more heat in ya grow area but with a 250w MH it wont be a huge hassel and a fan will most likely fix it

cheerz :Dj:

it looks like anything from 80-150watts the base looks like it fits the smaller socket also the bulb doesnt have any printing becuase the shade traps the heat and has warn off the printing the bulb is old and should be replaced to see what type of light it is pull the grey box covering off and look on the ballast it will have all the info u need while the cover is off drill a few holes in it to release any hot air while in use

my guess at a distance is maybe a mercury vapour lamp??

is there any markings on th base of glass of bulb??

do u no the brand??

can u include a shot of thge ballast ?? i asssume it has 1?

if it a mercury vapour its not recommended for growing

the white stuff looks a bit too thick for a phosforous coated m/h imo

wat are the genetics u would like grow??

take care

happy growing

billo

Hi

I looked at the light again today and found out a few more details.

The brand of the light is GE(General Electric)

I found a small GE sticker and that had a number on it: 35-212622-01

If i have time tomorow i will take the plastic casing of it and see if i can locate any more details.

I am thinking i will probably only use it for the start of my first grow and then if the plants are doing well i will buy a better light for flowering, from reading over the last few days i am thinking a 400watt HPS is rite for my grow space.

Thanks for your help :freak:

Hi and welcome to the site

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&...earch&meta=

that gave me the second link of http://www.equipmentresale.com/category.html?dept_id=16

which has

General Electric Model no. 35-212622-01 Lights

400 lamp watts, start at 1.4 amps, run at 1.2 amps, 480 volts, optical assembly cat no, L4MD-AD, , item no. eri3337 /YD

These look way different to yours but others at that site look like your model casing and the model number could be for the workings not the casing

Ahh what would the net be without google!!!